[ROM] FLB-Mod 1 (Based on Android 2.1)

Guest Simon O

Guest bindi
Hello flibblesan!

I have a problem with the latest rom:

It wipes my battery in about 10-12hour without using the phone!

Why is this? There isn't any running app in the background!

P.S.: The previous rom isn't do that!

I would suggest to wipe everything and flash ROM again. I am using FLB 1.0 and usually getting good battery life. For some reasons I get less time on Launcher pro than ADW. So I am now using ADW launcher.

Guest Totyasrác
Hello flibblesan!

I have a problem with the latest rom:

It wipes my battery in about 10-12hour without using the phone!

Why is this? There isn't any running app in the background!

P.S.: The previous rom isn't do that!

Menu / settings / About phone ("Telefon névjegye") / Battery usage ("Akku használat") -> will show what drains your battery.

Please report back for us to see.

Guest Totyasrác
I would suggest to wipe everything and flash ROM again. I am using FLB 1.0 and usually getting good battery life. For some reasons I get less time on Launcher pro than ADW. So I am now using ADW launcher.

We don't know what kind of apps he's installed...

Guest bindi
We don't know what kind of apps he's installed...

Yeah but I was telling from my experience with exactly same usage pattern and apps/widgets installed on previous FLB roms and Launcherpro/ADW.

Guest solongmarriane
Hey Flibble,

Thanks - I did check the Swype website first and followed all the instructions in the FAQ. They suggest it may be a memory issue so I installed Advanced Task Killer and made sure everything I could close was closed before install, including removing all widgets from home screens. This left ample free memory but it still wouldn't install after multiple attempts. I am wondering if the changes in the ROM to replicate autokiller might have something to do with it?

The FAQ suggested sending them (Swype) a log file (using Sendlog) if it still failed and I did this almost a week ago now but have not had a reply from them. There is also the possibility that I have used up all my installs but I would have expected a different message, and would still need them to reply that they have reset it.

This is my only major problem with an otherwise great ROM, have a had a couple of random reboots, missed 1 text and suspect the battery is dying faster but I am on the HU 2.1 and plan to change to Tre and the next Tre release of 1.1 when its ready. Thanks for taking the time to check my issue too!

I was having a lot of FCs and apps not working on 1.1. Also never managed to get Swype to install correctly. I did manage to get it installed in the end, but it wouldn't run properly (it let me swipe words, but wouldn't copy them to input box). Anyway, have gone back to 1.0 for now and Swype working fine again. 1.0 is a great ROM and runs much more smoothly & quicker for me and the apps I use. Need a stable phone for two weeks holiday coming up. :(

Guest gonye

Hi Flibble,

Thanks a lot! I installed the last weekend the 1.0 version, and nothing problem.

Great job, really fast and better then the old pink!

:(

Guest Simon O

I'll take a good look at the swype installation issue tomorrow. I'm using LauncherPro on my phone and it keeps getting bigger every release so maybe the Swype installer is failing simply because there is no free ram to run it properly. LauncherPro, as any other launcher, is set to always be kept in memory. This setting could be causing problems.. again.

Guest meinnit

Have been using 1.0 for a day now and it's been great! Had no proper FC (just a few waits) or reboots. It seems much faster and more responsive than Android 1.5. This could be because I have very few apps installed at the moment...lets see!

The only problem I have had is the known low memory issue. I was wondering how much memory Launcher Pro uses compared to the stock Android launcher, anyone know?

Is there any way to shut down proceses that we don't need? I notice that there is a process called Quick Search Box taking up 22MB..is this really needed?

Guest Simon O
Is there any way to shut down proceses that we don't need? I notice that there is a process called Quick Search Box taking up 22MB..is this really needed?

What widgets are you using?

Guest Simon O
im only using Advanced Task Managers 'Press to End' widget

Ah. I haven't bothered to install that yet but I do know the Quick Search Box is part of Android since 1.6. Not entirely sure what it's about though.

Guest igor_anta

Yo, flibblesan :( As for the FC's some people are having it just may be connected to something you yourself mentioned, LauncherPro is getting bigger and draining more and more memory, hence more problems. I'm using ADW and had no single problem (freeze or FC) since I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1 (I always was a bigger ADW fan, but tastes aside:)).

Also did you contact Paul to make this a sticky topic, or maybe even ask for admin rights so you can work this section since Paul pretty much abandoned it.

We got your back:P

Also as a side-note, can you try using the framework folder from the Tre rom and see if it still has the pink text highlights, and of course if it doesn't can you use it in next updates. Cheers mate!

Guest meinnit

At the home screen if you press menu and select Search this brings up the search box.

How do we find out how much memory LauncherPro is using? I tried OS Monitor but it doesnt show up altough I am hiding system processes.

Guest _melchett

Its a great rom - only 1 screen crash so far, and after the initial force close for titanium and acore all seems to run (until memory manager cuts out the music - quite annoying). BTW thought i would just offer this advice thats helped me. I have a class 2 sd card so have left dalvik on the phone, if you are the same install dolphin browser and set that to save dalvik to sd card. This means other applications that need the speed of dalvik cache has it still on the phone, but webpages etc that don't are saved to the sd card. Once you go in to the android browser clear history, cache and form data i recovered about 8mb of space! In the words of Alan Partridge "Jurassic Park!"

Guest Totyasrác
Yo, flibblesan :(

(...)

Also did you contact Paul to make this a sticky topic, or maybe even ask for admin rights so you can work this section since Paul pretty much abandoned it.

Oh, forgot to mention: I've written a PM to Paul to gain some appreciation for Flib mate (asking for a kitchen-admin right for example) :(

THE MAN deserves it :P

P.s.: ... as soon as he prepares a minimalistic and Tre-based 1.1 w/ADW for me :P

Guest Simon O
Yo, flibblesan :( As for the FC's some people are having it just may be connected to something you yourself mentioned, LauncherPro is getting bigger and draining more and more memory, hence more problems. I'm using ADW and had no single problem (freeze or FC) since I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1 (I always was a bigger ADW fan, but tastes aside:)).

Also as a side-note, can you try using the framework folder from the Tre rom and see if it still has the pink text highlights, and of course if it doesn't can you use it in next updates. Cheers mate!

ADW seems lighter but I personally don't like it. I'll continue to provide a flashable update for it though.

I did use the frameworks from the tre rom but to remove the pink it needs the services.jar from Tre and that caused a lot of problems on the t-mobile based rom. The only way currently to remove all pink is to use the FLB-Mod tre version with vanilla framework. I've not finished testing this yet as I've had to re-build the base from scratch due to some issues I was having. It's also likely I'll skip a release of FLB 1.1 for tre and release 1.2 for both as I've made quite a few bug fixes since 1.1

Guest Simon O

Ok just want to mention a few things I've changed and I'm planning:

1) Music player - I'm removing this and replacing it with the standard Android 2.1 player. I've also fixed the player so you no longer require the headset fix. Reason for removing the modded player was that I felt it was causing some stuttering issues for some people.

2) LauncherPro is still my favourite launcher even though it's becoming larger in size and memory usage. This means that some badly made app installers (such as Swype) are failing due to running out of memory. Using a lighter launcher such as ADW should resolve these issues until the app authors fix the installers.

3) Rommanager is currently ever so slightly useless as the ClockworkRecovery for Pulse still hasn't been made available. I can't release this myself as Rommanager doesn't recognise this as an official ClockworkRecovery so refuses to work with it. I'm waiting for Koush to release.

4) FLB-Mod tre version - This has been completely rebuilt and is no longer just the standard FLB with the tre kernel. It's now completely based on the Tre ROM with all the FLB fixes and modifications. It's pretty identical to the standard FLB version but some users will find it runs a bit better. I've flashed my phone using the official Tre rom then back to T-Mobile 2.1 using time machine + december update and currently running the FLB-Mod tre version with no issues. I'm confident that this should work for others too.

5) Wi-Fi Status app - Some people don't like it, I personally find it useful. It serves as a warning when you have wi-fi enabled but not connected as this can seriously drain battery as the wi-fi constantly searches for networks.

6) Fonts - A lot of people just don't like the funky new fonts I am using. I've now replaced them with Zegoe fonts which are very readable and a bit nicer than the standard Droid fonts.

7) FLB-Lite - I'm very tempted to attempt to produce a very lite version of FLB using most stock Android apps such as Launcher etc. This won't be a quick project to do and it's still in the early planning stages.

8) FLB-Mod Pulse Mini edition - This was planned but I've now allowed use of FLB-Mod to be used in the Pulse Mini custom rom being produced by gforums and m2te. Check out this thread for info

Guest Totyasrác
2) LauncherPro is still my favourite launcher even though it's becoming larger in size and memory usage. This means that some badly made app installers (such as Swype) are failing due to running out of memory. Using a lighter launcher such as ADW should resolve these issues until the app authors fix the installers.

So you're going to put LP into the release and provide ADW as a separate zip? I forgot but was there anything about how replacement is handled when using the adw-installer zip? I mean is it completely removing LP and installing ADW instead?

4) FLB-Mod tre version - This has been completely rebuilt and is no longer just the standard FLB with the tre kernel. It's now completely based on the Tre ROM with all the FLB fixes and modifications. It's pretty identical to the standard FLB version but some users will find it runs a bit better. I've flashed my phone using the official Tre rom then back to T-Mobile 2.1 using time machine + december update and currently running the FLB-Mod tre version with no issues. I'm confident that this should work for others too.

So you've tested the Tre-based FLB both on T-Mobile 2.1 and Tre 2.1 being installed before? I still don't get it why people have issues with either version (well actually I don't understand why others - including me with FLB v1.0 over T-Mobile 2.1 without ever having official Tre on my Pulse) DON'T... Pretty interesting :(

So awaiting the new release (based on Tre) from THA MAN :(

Guest Simon O
So you're going to put LP into the release and provide ADW as a separate zip? I forgot but was there anything about how replacement is handled when using the adw-installer zip? I mean is it completely removing LP and installing ADW instead?

So you've tested the Tre-based FLB both on T-Mobile 2.1 and Tre 2.1 being installed before? I still don't get it why people have issues with either version (well actually I don't understand why others - including me with FLB v1.0 over T-Mobile 2.1 without ever having official Tre on my Pulse) DON'T... Pretty interesting :(

So awaiting the new release (based on Tre) from THA MAN :(

I'm not entirely sure but I think installing the official Tre update onto the phone will allow both roms to work as official updates tend to do some firmware updates as well as OS updates.

The ADW update replaces LauncherPro with ADW completely.

Guest Totyasrác
I'm not entirely sure but I think installing the official Tre update onto the phone will allow both roms to work as official updates tend to do some firmware updates as well as OS updates.

That's the thing I don't get: I've never installed Tre - but your Tre-based FLB v1.0 is running like a charm on my Pulse. Others have (HW) problems even after installing Tre followed by FLB v1.0. Now THAT'S weird :(

The ADW update replaces LauncherPro with ADW completely.

Cheers, excellent - I quite like ADW (went for LP before but this is not muchcrappier with less memory consumption :()

Hi Flibble, I tried the ADW launcher zip you supplied on the first page with Swype and FLB 1.1, and still have the same problem. I also went back to FLB 1.0 to check if I had used up all my installs and Swype installed correctly the first attempt. I can't decide if I need Swype so much I stick with the older ROM or change to a newer ROM and live without it :(

I would be interested to hear from anyone with Swype working on 1.1, I have the HU 2.1 update and the small fix that it required, if someone has it working and used the Tre update I will try that.

Guest meinnit

I think a kitchen for all of this would be great! I'm guessing thats easier to maintain than having multiple ROM files? I personally don't mind flashy things such as LauncherPro, just want a stable and speedy ROM with enough memory to run apps without issue.