30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest richdoc

Hi all,

on the topic of battery life I have the folllowing observations.

Firstly at MCR3.2 with data on all day the battery would last 1- 1.5 days.

With MCR 4.0 and the data connection on it lasts less than 1 day, sometimes as little as 0.5.

I did a bit of an experiment yesterday and turned off the data connection instead relying on the wifi (I was in a hotspot) and by the end of the day I had used less than half the battery! Now I hadn't used the phone perhaps as much as I would normally, but even so I find this quite remarkable.

Just thought I would share :)

Guest Smallguy17

I have now decided that I will never use any other roms than the ones from Modaco. The other roms just aren't nearly as stable!

Thanks Paul!

Guest Richard K. Szabo

I am posting my observations here on MCR3.2 vs MCR4.0

Bluetooth 8 hrs bonded with Ubuntu for BlueProximity:

MCR 3.2 (Android 1.5) : 70% battery left

MCR 4.0 (Android 2.1): 50% battery left

Hi all,

on the topic of battery life I have the folllowing observations.

Firstly at MCR3.2 with data on all day the battery would last 1- 1.5 days.

With MCR 4.0 and the data connection on it lasts less than 1 day, sometimes as little as 0.5.

I did a bit of an experiment yesterday and turned off the data connection instead relying on the wifi (I was in a hotspot) and by the end of the day I had used less than half the battery! Now I hadn't used the phone perhaps as much as I would normally, but even so I find this quite remarkable.

Just thought I would share :)

Guest VictorBR

I wanna flash the new MCR but first would like to know: can you show/hide contacts in the PHONE app? In all 2.1 Sense ROMs I tried I couldn't get this done. In 1.5 ROMs I could just go to "view" settings on the people app, (un)check the desired checkbox (Google, Phone and SIM) and this setting would then apply to the phone app.

If this feature is not included, is there a way to do this? Thanks.

upgraded but a bit tricky at first... coming from MCR 3.2.

use Amon's recovery 1.6.2

my bake included A2SD as I had it previously....

straight upgrade - didn't quite work. FC on the main menu

wipe data - same issue

wipe data and davlik - same issue

wipe data and davlik and SD card, then re-partition SD card - all good to go!! :)

Guest Alain 0.
I wanna flash the new MCR but first would like to know: can you show/hide contacts in the PHONE app? In all 2.1 Sense ROMs I tried I couldn't get this done. In 1.5 ROMs I could just go to "view" settings on the people app, (un)check the desired checkbox (Google, Phone and SIM) and this setting would then apply to the phone app.

I'm using VillainROM10.2 (2.1 Sense ROM), waiting for official MCR 4.0, and I can configure contact group in People->Settings->View. Here you can select or deselect contact groups you want to appear or not.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Alain 0.

After using this ROM for a couple of weeks I tried to use BT audio and it doesn't work. I have BT built in my car and I've been able to connect the phone once and place/receive a few phone calls but it doesn't work anymore. The phone can't connect to the car. I tried to unpair/pair the device tried to force the connection. Nothing works.

Guest Dan Mullen
After using this ROM for a couple of weeks I tried to use BT audio and it doesn't work. I have BT built in my car and I've been able to connect the phone once and place/receive a few phone calls but it doesn't work anymore. The phone can't connect to the car. I tried to unpair/pair the device tried to force the connection. Nothing works.

All of the other 2.1 ROMs out there have this problem, but I hoped that the official release would solve it. If Bluetooth audio doesn't work then I'll be sticking with 1.5!

Guest bunt83

This is an issue with all 2.1 ROM's.

HOPEFULLY the UK release will fix this....

Guest Lenslarque

I have no problems with the parrot in my car.

Actually, it works better now. With 1.5 I saw all my contacts with mobile, work and home numbers in the contact list on the parrot.

Now with 2.1 I see the contact name... and when I selected it I see the contacts phone number(s)

This was not the case with 1.5

So, I'm a very happy camper now ;-)

Guest stealth75abc

Actually, it works better now. With 1.5 I saw all my contacts with mobile, work and home numbers in the contact list on the parrot.

Now with 2.1 I see the contact name... and when I selected it I see the contacts phone number(s)

That's right. I also use a Parrot CK3100 black Edition in my car. :)

Guest arunshen
All of the other 2.1 ROMs out there have this problem, but I hoped that the official release would solve it. If Bluetooth audio doesn't work then I'll be sticking with 1.5!

BT Audio (Plantronics earpiece), BT handsfree (BMW 5 series), BT handsfree (via Windows 7 laptop) and BT file transfer (to PC and Nokia 6310) all working fine for me on r4 build 3 ...

I even got my Windows 7 laptop to control media playback for media stored on the Hero with audio coming through laptop speakers.

Edited by arunshen

Guest jonathanmusto
BT Audio (Plantronics earpiece), BT handsfree (BMW 5 series), BT handsfree (via Windows 7 laptop) and BT file transfer (to PC and Nokia 6310) all working fine for me on r4 build 3 ...

I even got my Windows 7 laptop to control media playback for media stored on the Hero with audio coming through laptop speakers.

Bluetooth Audi fine for me, built into my Audi A3. I am getting FC in Menu->Settings->Accounts and Sync though.....

Guest trigrou

Just for report,

from 3.2 I backup all my data with titanium backup

wipe out

flush with the kitchen rom 2.1

restore with titanium backup

It works but the restore of backup does not restore sms and most of my preference.

I guess it can make sense because of the big jump of version...

Bluetooth Audi fine for me, built into my Audi A3. I am getting FC in Menu->Settings->Accounts and Sync though.....

I also have an Audi A3 with built in BT (Audi UHV 4304) but mine doesn't work :)

Sometiles there is a FC when trying to open the BT settings.

Guest mljjlm

Am I the only one experiencing color-coded adb-answers? It's pretty nasty, as I don't know which terminal to use from windows when CMD and PowerShell can't handle it...

Guest milko9000

Are you using the Sense interface or did you switch to something like LauncherPro? Because doing that made that happen for me, I had to go back to Sense. Bah.

Are you using the Sense interface or did you switch to something like LauncherPro? Because doing that made that happen for me, I had to go back to Sense. Bah.

No I'm using Sense, it suits my needs.

Funny this evening the BT audio worked ok after I rebooted the phone. I'll see if it holds...

Guest Richard K. Szabo

alias ls="ls --color=never -a "

alias l="ls -l"

place that in /data/local/.profile

Now whenever you SSH in your .profile is read and executed and the shell is setup.

If you would "adb shell" in trigger manually with ". /data/local/.profile"

Am I the only one experiencing color-coded adb-answers? It's pretty nasty, as I don't know which terminal to use from windows when CMD and PowerShell can't handle it...

alias ls="ls --color=never -a "

alias l="ls -l"

place that in /data/local/.profile

Now whenever you SSH in your .profile is read and executed and the shell is setup.

If you would "adb shell" in trigger manually with ". /data/local/.profile"

Or one could install Ansicon. BTW Thanks for the .profile location; been looking for that for ages. Is it 2.1 specific?

Guest Richard K. Szabo

No, dropbear/sshd.

I got and installed ansicon successfully but it doesn't re-draw output for me. (W7 64-bit, Eng)

Or one could install Ansicon. BTW Thanks for the .profile location; been looking for that for ages. Is it 2.1 specific?
Edited by Richard K. Szabo

Guest Lenslarque

It seems that I'm experiencing problems with my parrot ck3100 and 2.1 on my Hero. The parrot has the latest firmware 4.22

But something seems to go wrong when they sync. e.g. My contact on the hero has 2 phone numbers for work and home, only work or home will show on the parrot. When somebody calls with a phone number that it is known in my address book on the hero, it will show as a number in the parrots display not the name that is in my address book.

The strange part is.... A couple of days ago everything seems to be working fine, like I at stated in my earlier post above.

I've paired them again to see if this will fixed it..... but it doesn't.

Does anybody has the same experience? Or any ideas to solve this?

Guest goatee

My only issue (and why I had to roll back to the official Chungwa release) is that I simply could not get the Swype Beta to run. It kept on saying that it wouldn't work at my screen resolution. I don't have the same problem with Chungwa, so I'll wait for MCR 4 now, as losing Swype is too big a deal for me.

Guest jonathanmusto
I also have an Audi A3 with built in BT (Audi UHV 4304) but mine doesn't work :)

Sometiles there is a FC when trying to open the BT settings.

Mine is UHV 5790. Will yours even pair? To pair mine I had to turn on the ignition (but not the engine) it then broadcasts its self for about 10secs, at which point you have to quickly scan and pair with the code '1234'.

No, dropbear/sshd.

I got and installed ansicon successfully but it doesn't re-draw output for me. (W7 64-bit, Eng)

Thanks for the info; shame there isn't a shell config for adb over usb. Have you tried puttycyg? The only possible downside is you need to have cygwin installed. It gives other benefits such as resizable terminal, command completion & history, as well as handling control codes for colour.