30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest John87
Hello, sorry if this has been mentioned but I've justed downloaded and trying to install this. After the update the HTC logo nad "quietly brilliant" keep running over and over again. If I choose the Wipe option does it actually remove all of my contacts and etc?

I have performed an Nandriod back up, but dont want to take the leap until I know all my person data will be intact.

EDIT: Right, I did a wipe and now its on the new 2.1 rom. However Its now saying "network locked". I prosume it has somethign to do with the Radio? How do I install a new Radio if I can't gain access to the USB function and mount the SD Card?

I'm also getting that HTC logo, it been going on for 20mins now. paul said it will take a while on first boot? how long is "a while" for paul :D

using: r5 without additions

anyway, if it doesnt work, I'll go back to the previous state and wait a bit or choose another custom rom.

EDIT: worked after a wipe. :D

damn, now i have to restore all my settings, app, bookmarks etc :)

Edited by John87

Guest schizophonic
I'm also getting that HTC logo, it been going on for 20mins now. paul said it will take a while on first boot? how long is "a while" for paul :D

using: r5 without additions

anyway, if it doesnt work, I'll go back to the previous state and wait a bit or choose another custom rom.

EDIT: worked after a wipe. :D

damn, now i have to restore all my settings, app, bookmarks etc :)

Yeah I had to do a wipe, good thing my gmail account is all sync. Just annoyed that I had to put the latest radio phone on my phone. Wasted about 3 hours this morning.

Guest gegegwt
Guys, where is the WIFI teather on this release? have I missed this?

Just download from marked, barnacle doesnt work on hero just fyi, bit normal one does :)

Guest schizophonic
Just download from marked, barnacle doesnt work on hero just fyi, bit normal one does :)

Thanks, I got this from the market in the end.

Another problem Im getting now and its becoming annoying is the "wavesecure" giving me errors. I can't load the app up nor uninstall it. It gives me the message of "error occurred unexpectedly" Any ideas what I can do?

Guest ScreamerBG

There's a bug with the kitchen about Tecknologist / freeasabeer TCK 2.0a

The init.d scripts which initialize the modules & the scaling_governor are never called.

Additionally compcache.sh contains only commented entries - it's not loading anything

doing lsmod gives the following

# lsmod

wlan 542164 1 - Live 0xbf000000

#

While inspecting the fs the following can be seen

technologist.sh & compache.sh are located under /system/init.d, while there is /system/etc/init.d which contains the actual init.d scripts. both folders contain DIFFERENT files

Edited by ScreamerBG

Also can anyone confirm.. Does the Spare Parts option in the Kitchen actually work for anyone currently?

Mine works. I also have "Weather" and do _not_ see the bgp crash issues. I do have Launcher failing on me, esp if the phone has been on for a while or I have been browsing the Market.

Anyone else experiencing this, and if so -- any idea why? Resource issues?

/TBX

Guest ScreamerBG

About the kitchen custom kernel problems..

After doing the necessary changes to make the system initialize teknologist.sh and fixed the contents of compcache.sh (btw xvmalloc.ko is not present!) the phone runs very smoothly.

Also the memory has increased from 32-34MB free to 60-62MB free.

Guest schizophonic
@schizophonic,

try un-installing using titanium backup.

Tried that and get the error message " For security reasons, Titanium Backup will not uninstall this app"

EDIT: I couldn't launch Wavesecure but now after some update it all works. Hopefully that means I dont get the error message anymore.

Edited by schizophonic

Guest agremlins

After doing the necessary changes to make the system initialize teknologist.sh and fixed the contents of compcache.sh (btw xvmalloc.ko is not present!) the phone runs very smoothly.

Could you post the changes you have done?

Guest danmed

Guys, i'm having a really irritating problem..

Been running mcr4 for a while and want to move to 5 with app2sd+

cooked various combinations / wiped everything i can numerous times and still, every time i apply the new rom, i end up getting stuck in a loop at the quietly brilliant screen..

Can anyone help?

Edit: oooh.. hang on.. we might be in business!

Edited by danmed

Guest ScreamerBG

Fix for the broken kitchen Teknologist 2.0b support scripts (that enable the kernel extras)

Create 2 files in the root folder of your SD card. Name the files EXACTLY as described (all lower case)

02compcache

#!/system/bin/sh

/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/lzo_decompress.ko

/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/lzo_compress.ko

/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=131072

/system/xbin/mkswap /dev/block/ramzswap0

/system/xbin/swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

echo "10" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
02memcpu
#!/system/bin/sh

/system/xbin/insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

echo "ondemand" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo "50000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

echo "1536,2048,4096,5120,15360,25600" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/

minfree

Once you have placed the files on the SD card and removed the USB cable from the phone run the following commands as root

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cp /sdcard/02compcache /etc/init.d/

cp /sdcard/02memcpu /etc/init.d/

chmod a+rx /etc/init.d/02*

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Restart the phone

Have fun :)

Edited by ScreamerBG

Guest ScreamerBG

Fix for the broken Dalvik2Cache from the kitchen

Create 1 file in the root folder of your SD card. Name the file EXACTLY as described (all lower case)

02dalvikcache

#!/system/bin/sh

if [ ! -d /cache/dalvik-cache ]

then

mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache

chown 1000:1000 /cache/dalvik-cache

chmod 775 /cache/dalvik-cache

fi

if [ -L /data/dalvik-cache ]

then

rm -f /data/dalvik-cache

mkdir /data/dalvik-cache

chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache

chmod 775 /data/dalvik-cache

elif [ ! -d /data/dalvik-cache ]

then

mkdir /data/dalvik-cache

chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache

chmod 775 /data/dalvik-cache

elif [ -d /data/dalvik-cache ]

then

for filename in /data/dalvik-cache/*

do

if [ -L $filename ]

then

rm -f $filename

fi

done

mv /data/dalvik-cache/* /cache/dalvik-cache/

fi

mount -o bind /cache/dalvik-cache/ /data/dalvik-cache/

Once you have placed the files on the SD card and removed the USB cable from the phone run the following commands as root

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cp /sdcard/02dalvikcache /etc/init.d/

chmod a+rx /etc/init.d/02*

rm -f /etc/init.d/02cachedalvikcache

rm -f /data/dalvik-cache/*

rm -f /cache/dalvik-cache/*

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Reboot, wait the system to fully rebuild the dalvik cache. Enjoy.

Credits for the script above go to VillainROM Team.

Edited by ScreamerBG

Guest ScreamerBG
i'm not using apps2sd, neither do i want to OC my hero. would teknologist kernel make any difference for me?

The Teknologist 2.0b is NOT for overclocking.

It's mostly for smooth performance, more ram and a tunnel module.

Guest toxic-hero
The Teknologist 2.0b is NOT for overclocking.

It's mostly for smooth performance, more ram and a tunnel module.

but this thread says that it's cruicial for OC. that's why i asked.

some more questions:

do i get more ram with teknologist even if i don't use apps2sd? do i need to apply your fix even if i don't use apps2sd? what is tunnel mode?

thanks.

Edited by toxic-hero

TaskKillers ..

Perhaps a bit premature, but I removed Task Killer by Wing Tseng, and Launcher no longer dies. Or at least, it hasn't died in 30-odd hours.

/TBX

Guest yfaykya

Does anyone know the status of the MoDaCo hero ROM? Has been on 5 since 10 June I think. 2 months with no update. Is this considered the last build? I asked in #modaco but seems to be no one in there..

Guest ScreamerBG
but this thread says that it's cruicial for OC. that's why i asked.

some more questions:

do i get more ram with teknologist even if i don't use apps2sd? do i need to apply your fix even if i don't use apps2sd? what is tunnel mode?

thanks.

You cannot overclock with Teknologist 2.0b kernel due to missing entries in the kernel frequencies table (all clocks above 528mhz aren't present).

Underclocking is not possible either because the kernel automatically restores the original min and max frequencies.

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq - minimum allowed frequency

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq - maximum allowed frequency

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq - current frequency

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table - supported frequencies

The contents in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table are

From  :	To

:	 19200	122880	160000	245760	480000	528000

19200:		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0

122880:		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0

160000:		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0

245760:		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0		16

480000:		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0		 0

528000:		 0		 0		 0		16		 0		 0

Which means the only allowed frequencies are the ones listed above and you can't put lower or higher values in scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq

The thing is the min and max frequncies are harcoded into the kernel so you cannot change them AT ALL.

Trying to modify the frequencies produces the following kernel message

[ 1241.491302] perflock_notifier_call: cpufreq recover policy 528000 691000

All that was said above simply means you CANNOT overclock with Teknologist 2.0b

About the memory question - yes it does give you more memory if the initialization files are fixed (see my previous posts).

Currently the Teknologist kernel scripts from the kitchen are never initialized and additionally they contain invalid setup. Unless you use fixed initialization scripts you can't benefit the kernel.

Edited by ScreamerBG

Guest simhal
Does anyone know the status of the MoDaCo hero ROM? Has been on 5 since 10 June I think. 2 months with no update. Is this considered the last build? I asked in #modaco but seems to be no one in there..

I asked Paul on Twitter and he did say there would be another build when he had time. Hopefully it'll be soon as I'm waiting until it's out so I only have to migrate once.

Guest ScreamerBG

For everyone looking for kernel that is compatible with MCR r5 and have:

* overclocking

* compcache (ramzswap)

* cifs

* vpn/tun

* pppoe

Check the following link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730471

I haven't tested the FlyKernel-08 kernel yet but it's looking good judging by the posts.

I've already downloaded the original VillainROM 12 kernel from the link listed on the page and manually applied it.

DO NOT install VillainROM using the recovery - it has different build.prop file which means it's probably NOT compatible with MCR r5 at all.

Still if you are willing to flash the VR12 kernel manually check this manual - http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images