30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ScreamerBG
For everyone looking for kernel that is compatible with MCR r5 and have:

* overclocking

* compcache (ramzswap)

* cifs

* vpn/tun

* pppoe

Check the following link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730471

I haven't tested the FlyKernel-08 kernel yet but it's looking good judging by the posts.

I've already downloaded the original VillainROM 12 kernel from the link listed on the page and manually applied it.

DO NOT install VillainROM using the recovery - it has different build.prop file which means it's probably NOT compatible with MCR r5 at all.

Still if you are willing to flash the VR12 kernel manually check this manual - http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

Confirmed. FlyKernel-08 is working with MCR r5.

Quick question.

I am using the latest MCR 2.1 R5 and having issues with signal.

My messages dont always send, signal cuts out, I don't receive messages and someone has been trying to call me today and it just rang their end and did nothing my end! Also yesterday I was trying to download from the market and it would just stay on the "starting download" screen but wouldnt initialize.

I haven't changed the radio since rooting my phone a while back now but im reading some say to update the orange radio others say dont.

Baseband version is radio in sys info? That says im using 63.18.55.06ju_6.35.09.26

Guest alt236

Has anyone gotten the java app to work?

It enters a force close loop when started (this was asked before by another member, but I didn't see any replies).

Guest quiard
Has anyone gotten the java app to work?

It enters a force close loop when started (this was asked before by another member, but I didn't see any replies).

it is working normaly on my hero , I'm using it for a java based one-time password application.

Guest yfaykya
I asked Paul on Twitter and he did say there would be another build when he had time. Hopefully it'll be soon as I'm waiting until it's out so I only have to migrate once.

How long ago did you ask? What if he does not have time?! I only just got ad free and this is the only thread I am interested in. Paul has not updated here in a long time. Just worried he has lost interest.

PS. What is the most actively developed Hero ROM out there? I want to hold onto my hero for another 6 or so months (or until I see what HTC say on Sep 15th).

Guest toxic-hero
How long ago did you ask? What if he does not have time?! I only just got ad free and this is the only thread I am interested in. Paul has not updated here in a long time. Just worried he has lost interest.

PS. What is the most actively developed Hero ROM out there? I want to hold onto my hero for another 6 or so months (or until I see what HTC say on Sep 15th).

why worry? modaco rom is fast and stable. i don't think it needs to be upgraded more than once in a while. what features are you missing?

why worry? modaco rom is fast and stable. i don't think it needs to be upgraded more than once in a while. what features are you missing?

For me only OC full RAM and FriendStream (available with villain12 an Fly Kernel 09 MAX)

Note: OC is available form MCR5 with FlyKernel 09

A+

Jpq

Guest toxic-hero
For me only OC full RAM and FriendStream (available with villain12 an Fly Kernel 09 MAX)

Note: OC is available form MCR5 with FlyKernel 09

but then why do you stil use modaco if VR has everything you need? i've never tried VR, but read somewhere that hero doesn't have enough resources to deal with friendstream. i'm afraid that modaco wouldn't be so smooth if it has all those features other roms have. if i could chose between stability and feature richness i'd always chose first one.

Edited by toxic-hero

but then why do you stil use modaco if VR has everything you need? i've never tried VR, but read somewhere that hero doesn't have enough resources to deal with friendstream. i'm afraid that modaco wouldn't be so smooth if it has all those features other roms have. if i could chose between stability and feature richness i'd always chose first one.

i'm actually using VR12 with Flykernel 09 for OC Kernel and FriendStream

I use friendstream exclusively as a facebook widget, i keep Peep for Twiter, There's no ressource problem with friend stream

I'need OC for One on my TVs' programms which works at 710 and freezes under this speed.

I think FullRAm (288meg) will help some programs.

I should prefer MCR because i think it's cleaner and i'll be back as soon as possible

I also Hope äull will provide a froya sens ROM for Hero

A+

Jpq

Guest fsanzl

I hope MCR R6 will include the localizations of WorldClock.apk. Ït's in English, but the main problem imho is that the days in the alarms tab are sorted à la British (Sunday to Saturday, instead of Monday to Sunday). I'm already using the Teknologist 2.0b kernel -OC capability in its next release would be amazing btw- but could be interesting for another MCR users to have it packed with the R6, or maybe an option in the kitchen for choosing between that kernel, the stock one and other compatible kernels

Guest yfaykya

Because it is not stable for me. About 40% of the time I try to use the camera the phone crashes. A lot of apps FC (layar and Y5 battery app) even after complete wipes and reinstall of apps. Sense crashes every 3-4 days (no big deal as it restarts).

Also when based on 1.5 development was pretty much non stop with a more updated ROM every few weeks and that was not a WIP! Paul acknowledges this as a WIP so who am I to argue!?

Guest toxic-hero
Because it is not stable for me. About 40% of the time I try to use the camera the phone crashes. A lot of apps FC (layar and Y5 battery app) even after complete wipes and reinstall of apps. Sense crashes every 3-4 days (no big deal as it restarts).

how do you know this is all r5 rom's fault? as far as i know only the last issue (sense reboot) has been reported by many others (but it was also reported on other custom roms). other issues may well be the result of some specific configuration of yours, badly written apps, faulty hardware...

Also when based on 1.5 development was pretty much non stop with a more updated ROM every few weeks and that was not a WIP!

yeah, but that was when hero was still a new phone model and HTC was releasing updates frequently. mcr has always based on factory roms that were improved and optimized. and since there's no factory updates raining from the sky as they used to... maybe there's just not so much space left for improvement and optimisation. i'm sure we'll see a significant slow down of development tempo with desire or nexus a year from now.

Edited by toxic-hero

There's been an update for Hero which is now a few weeks back. It re-adds the G-Sensor calibration and *might* also fix a few smaller issues, isn't that reason enough the release another build of MCR?

Paul never said he lost interest in the Hero, if he had, why would he even release the update? It's always nice to hear he's working on it, especially since there are a few fixes posted in this thread which could be merged into the kitchen.

Guest christia-hero

Hello,

I have baked the ROM with in your kitchen.

It worked perfect.

My question now: Do you plan to do this for the Version 2.2?

At the moment it is 2.1

I would be glad to hear good news :D

thanks a lot for your work!

saludos,

Christian.

Guest toxic-hero
My question now: Do you plan to do this for the Version 2.2?

At the moment it is 2.1

I would be glad to hear good news :D

that's what Paul said about this subject few days ago:

I could, but that's not something I do atm. I do consider going down that road, but time constraints make it impossible atm.

Guest christia-hero
that's what Paul said about this subject few days ago:

OK. Thanks for your answer. So we have to wait a little bit :D

Better wait long time and get a good working version as no waiting and getting bad version ...

Guest vatvedt

I'm guessing one of the most developed roms out there, must be the Froyo roms right now. You can find them over at XDA.

Guest wangtastic

Few things I've learned from this process:

1) The Radio upgrade doesn't play well with orange phones - gave me a "network locked" error, reverting to the previous radio worked like a charm :D

2) If you don't include A2SD in the download and try and move your apps with AMONRA's recovery screen it will fail! :D

3) BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA Inc. Contacts, SMS, Apps (unless you can be arsed to re-download them) and anything else, then wipe everything before installing.

after a few hit and misses i'm finally there and loving it!

nice one paul <3

The Radio upgrade doesn't play well with orange phones - gave me a "network locked" error, reverting to the previous radio worked like a charm :D

There's a more recent radio which aiui doesn't have this issue, just google for it, the version ends _6.35.15.14 iirc.

Guest James_Lin

I as another one also thinks Paul has lost interest on this ROM, I used to come to this page to check any updates, but the result is disappointing, now I have moved on to xda forum, and using Froyo ROM, which is fast and great, I say it's faster than MCR R5... of course you would say I am comparing apples with oranges. The only reason I would come back to modaco ROM would be MCR version of android 2.2 for HERO. I would never go back to 2.1 anymore.

Guest wangtastic
There's a more recent radio which aiui doesn't have this issue, just google for it, the version ends _6.35.15.14 iirc.

thanks!

I'll check it out. :huh:

Guest alt236
it is working normaly on my hero , I'm using it for a java based one-time password application.

Sorry, I was offline for a few days.

Did you bake the ROM or are you using the zip?

Guest hspace

I have 3.2 running on my Hero, then tried to flash a baked R5 over it. Followed instructions on the first page exactly (Paul's words were - "everything you need to know is on this page. really.")

1) BUT - seem to go into the dreaded boot loop a LOT of people seem to be having.

Others seem to be having no issues and proclaiming it as a great ROM.

What the heck is going on? I tried all the stuff like re-wipe, or take out SD card as suggested (after reading 10's of pages in this thread alone - the suggestions were all over the place, and all different), except all the ADB stuff, which I have no clue about it.

2) And on those who managed to install this ROM (not me), there seem to be a lot of random issues, like

- lagginess on loading homescreen

- 3G/Wifi connectivity issues

- loss of G sensor calibration

- etc etc, which might or might not be due to individual settings > but, never seen so much issues before with the old 3.2 ROM

So - is this worth it at all? Should I try to re-flash again (but don't know what to do different to prevent the boot loop), or just consider my GBP9.99 down the toilet?

Edited by hspace