Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bunglehaze

Hi folks, just getting in to modding my desire after leaving it stock for a while - in any case I flashed my magic plenty of times but alas I am getting in a muddle I think...

I created a goldcard, all went well and got through the riskfree root tutorial with no errors, if I copy across the fake-flash (update.zip) I can boot into the fake-flash recovery just fine, however I cant see how I am supposed to connect via usb to add the rom update.zip without rebooting - if I do that and start the process again I get a standard recovery. Am I missing something or just doing it wrong?

cheers

**** Nevermind, I was being dumb and not noticing the install zip from sd card option that was on the other recoveries I used previously ( very late and no sleep didnt help) - ROM now loaded and I am hvaing a play - thx

Edited by bunglehaze

Guest tk1978

hi,

it seems, that the fake-flash download link is not working. can you post a mirror oder send it to me by email?

thx!!

thomas

Guest mbk10

I'm not sure if this is just me, but when I try to flash clockwork via rom manager, it simply says download failed.

Am I doing something wrong?

hi,

it seems, that the fake-flash download link is not working. can you post a mirror oder send it to me by email?

thx!!

thomas

Me too please!

Guest xspyda
Use the ROM Manager from the Market

That looks a whole lot easier!

Am I right to think it's just a case of installing this app on a rooted Desire, flash the clockworkmod recovery from within the app and away you go?

Can't make out from the vids if it downloads pre-specified roms for you (selectable in the menu) or if you have to have the rom on your SD card named as update.zip - or both?

Thanks, looks like this could save a lot of time!

Guest sterallures

Thanks for this! would be great not having to use my mac :) since I still sometimes forget how to push the files xD

and since the first mirror doesn't work anymore Thanks for the new mirror muataz!

Just wanted to try it out to get the new Froyo update on my Desire!

Edited by sterallures

Guest worstenbrood

Koush:

Why dont you just add:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext auto rw

to /etc/fstab instead of

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext ext3 rw

or

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext ext4 rw

?????????????

Guest Frankish

Hmm so many updates and I still can't use this properly. Just want the power button to confirm and I'll be glad. Very glad.

Guest gregDT
That looks a whole lot easier!

Am I right to think it's just a case of installing this app on a rooted Desire, flash the clockworkmod recovery from within the app and away you go?

Can't make out from the vids if it downloads pre-specified roms for you (selectable in the menu) or if you have to have the rom on your SD card named as update.zip - or both?

Thanks, looks like this could save a lot of time!

That is indeed what you can do :-)

Guest Sharkiy

Hi Paul

great work. Easy to use recovery mode. And great rom's. Now I can bake my rom via phone :)

That's more than every cent of my membership worth.

Regards

Hajo

Guest hejne

hallo guys

when I download the program it is called recovery-clockwork-bravo and there are no update.zip and if I just rename it my phone canĀ“t find it......

what aam I doing wrong?????

totally newbie :angry:

Guest Johnny Doe
So that's another way of rooting phone? I'm confused by ClockworkMod name... =\

I'm also confused, is this another rooting guide or do I already need root access to be able to do this? What does "rooted with a test image" mean, what is a test image?

Is this method related to this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725738 ? Because it also seems to work with the ClockwordMod and Koush seems to be associated with it...

Edited by Johnny Doe

Guest lucablue007

Sounds extremely exciting and wish it was working for me :angry: . I understand that once "recovery-clockwork-bravo.zip" is downloaded it should be renamed as "update.zip" and placed in the sd root folder - is this correct? When trying to "Apply sdcard:update.zip" i just get the opening update package/verifying update package an then:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

I guess I must be doing something wrong?

Any clues?

Guest h0mer_
Hmm so many updates and I still can't use this properly. Just want the power button to confirm and I'll be glad. Very glad.

when I download the program it is called recovery-clockwork-bravo and there are no update.zip and if I just rename it my phone canĀ“t find it......

what aam I doing wrong?????

To expand a bit on the booting sequence and button combination to get into the clockworkmod recovery mode, as opposed just the native/default recovery mode:

• Make sure you have the update.zip on your sdcard (the ClockwordMod recovery file either downloaded from this thread's link and renamed to update.zip or installed via the 'Rom Manager' app whilst the phone is running a custom rom).
  • Boot into the native phone recovery mode with the handset powered off by holding down the back button whilst tapping the power button.
  • After the phone has booted, use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to the 'Recovery' option. Tap the power button to select this option.
  • When the phone has finished switching to its native recovery mode, hold volume-up button in and press the power button.
  • You should now be presented with a menu listing in blue text on black background.
  • Select the update.zip from the sdcard option and then tap the trackball button to select this option (the power button no longer gets used).
  • The handset will now load the ClockWorkMod recovery console and from here you will be able to navigate to the 'install zip from sdcard' option, follow your nose to the custom rom you want to use and select it with the trackball button.

Does any of that help? :angry:

Sounds extremely exciting and wish it was working for me :D . I understand that once "recovery-clockwork-bravo.zip" is downloaded it should be renamed as "update.zip" and placed in the sd root folder - is this correct? When trying to "Apply sdcard:update.zip" i just get the opening update package/verifying update package an then:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

I guess I must be doing something wrong?

Any clues?

Is the update.zip file in the root of your sd card about 2140KB in size? Maybe you've got another file, also called update.zip, there?

Haven't named the file Update.zip ? (capital U?)

What if you goto to the advanced menu option and select the use unsigned zip file option?