Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest moran679
I think this is all running away a bit too fast. I've been following these forums since before Paul's root method came out and have no idea what's going on here or why this is useful.

Hate to be a pain, but it would help me (and I presume others) if the first posts of these stickies actually explained what was going on and why these things are useful. For instance, what does it mean to have a test image installed? If I'm running an MCR, does that count? Are you supposed to keep the update.zip on your SD card permanently? If so how do you flash new roms? Alternatively some kind of tutorial or glossary would rock. I appreciate the time that goes into these things, but this is all getting a bit frustrating.

Sorry for being thick.

I'm with him.. I too have been following these forums since before the root method, and have no idea what the hell is going on.

What's this "test image" you all keep mentioning? I thought that when rooting I install a recovery. Does this all work with the custom kernel? How about the USB brick issue, does this recovery fix it? Why isn't it all a part of the rooting method? (the USB brick fix and this recovery). What about full write access to /system ? Why do we need it? Has it been accomplished? What are we doing without it?

Also, the whole A2SD situation is vague. What's A2SD+, why do I want it over A2SD, does it work, how does it even work?

Edited by moran679

Guest StuMcBill
I'm with him.. I too have been following these forums since before the root method, and have no idea what the hell is going on.

What's this "test image" you all keep mentioning? I thought that when rooting I install a recovery. Does this all work with the custom kernel? How about the USB brick issue, does this recovery fix it? Why isn't it all a part of the rooting method? (the USB brick fix and this recovery). What about full write access to /system ? Why do we need it? Has it been accomplished? What are we doing without it?

Also, the whole A2SD situation is vague. What's A2SD+, why do I want it over A2SD, does it work, how does it even work?

The test image was what you flashed during step 1 of the rooting process.

It should work with a custom kernel, it did on mine anyway.

This recovery doesn't fix the usb brick issue, but this recovery shouldn't cause a usb brick (i don't think), so it should be safer.

Access to system has not been achieved yet, but full system access is available via recovery anyway.

A2sd+ is the same as a2sd except that dalvik-cache is moved to the SD card too, but I don't really know what it means.

Guest encrypt

I have a rooted device.

Just tried this method and it ended up badly.

I got some error that /sdcard/update.zip is not found... i rebooted my phone and when it booted the SD is shown as damaged. :) When I swap it into a card reader I can see all the content on my ubuntu... ext2, fat32, swap.. everything seems to be ok... what went wrong? How can i repair it? Please give some advice...

EDIT:

chkdsk stops at 10 percent in windows... nice

Edited by encrypt

Guest leetLegend

Notice that you DONT need to sign an update to apply in the recovery....

Nice Koush :)

waiting for "adb shell" to make my life a little easier :]

Edited by leetLegend

Guest Koush
Notice that you DONT need to sign an update to apply in the recovery....

Nice Koush :)

waiting for "adb shell" to make my life a little easier :]

You can adb shell into CW recovery.

Guest Koush
I have a rooted device.

Just tried this method and it ended up badly.

I got some error that /sdcard/update.zip is not found... i rebooted my phone and when it booted the SD is shown as damaged. :) When I swap it into a card reader I can see all the content on my ubuntu... ext2, fat32, swap.. everything seems to be ok... what went wrong? How can i repair it? Please give some advice...

Maybe try formatting the FAT partition?

Guest Loccy

This is excellent work! One thing though, can I please ask you to keep plugging away at the EXT issue? I for one have no intention of ever using Froyo's A2SD, as it's a pile of shite, and intend to retain my EXT partition for apps. So without EXT support the usefulness of this is limited for me.

Edited by Loccy

Guest leetLegend
You can adb shell into CW recovery.

Tried already, getting :

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Guest GeoTrail

When the recovery starts, it prints out:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

When I run the Apply sdcard:update.zip I get the follow errors:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signatur verification failed

Installation aborted.

I have updated my device to the latest OTA update, including the 0.80 HB.

Any ideas?

Guest StuMcBill
Oh, I have a fix for that. I'll provide a fix later. Adding RM support now.

Sorry if I am being dumb, but what's RM support?

This is great work, thanks for this guys!

Guest fxone
Sorry if I am being dumb, but what's RM support?

This is great work, thanks for this guys!

i Think Rommanager but im not sure

Guest jcdz92

Hi,

Everything worked as they should , copied the latest update, did a nandroid backup, md5 ok; But when I tried to apply a custom rom zip, what CW recovery showed me from my sd card was every folder but no zip (I have 7 zips in there update included)

Anybody have an idea , I'm running Froyo on my Desire and sd card is only FAT, don't use A2SD

Thanks

Guest spammyspam
The test image was what you flashed during step 1 of the rooting process.

Okay, but what is it? And does it still exist after you flash with an MCR or rooted ROM?

Perhaps this isn't the right thread for this?

Guest timothydonohue

uh, how are those of us in the colonies that happen to use evos supposed to select anything?

without a trackball/pad, all pressing power does is turn the screen off

Guest paulosman
uh, how are those of us in the colonies that happen to use evos supposed to select anything?

without a trackball/pad, all pressing power does is turn the screen off

If your referring to this particualr Recovery menu then your in the wrong section my friend because this is only for the Desire/Legend. I can only assume a recovery image for EVO will most likely make use of one of the buttons you DO have (or will change the funtionality of your power button).

Awesome work Paul and Koush. The transcript made for interesting reading too, seeing how these things come together from you amazing devs!

Keep up the good work guys, its so appreciated by the community... and its amusing to see HTC trying their best to lockdown rooting (WHY?!) and you guys just ripping it apart. Love it :)