Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest scotch whisky

Now works perfectly. I am able to switch between modaco r3.1 with A2SD+ and a FroYo ROM with just a couple of clicks in ROM Manager. It only takes a couple of minutes for the ROMs to load and no PC or manually booting into recovery required.

This is far better than I ever imagined it would be.

Well done.

Guest jtoxx

Hi Paul, sorry for my English. I tried to flash recovery from you and koush in recovery via a PC. I saw the progress bar as the stop in the middle. But back error. is a good idea for you?

Guest fatwolf

I originally rooted my desire with r4 and still have the 3.0 Kitchen Custom rom on my phone now.

Do i now use this tool to update to newer Custom kitchen roms like r3.1?

Or do i need to re-root my phone with r6?

Or do I just use the old method i was using to load the custom roms?

Currently a little confused where this tool can actually be used.

Guest Jase Winter

Hi guys,

How do I go about partitioning the SD card and uprgading ext2 to ext3 with clockwork recovery? I see there's a partitions menu in the recovery but all I see is options to format everything. I'm still having to use the old recovery to partion my card for apps2sd, am I at risk of the dreaded USB brick using that method? I only flash roms with clockwork and just use the old recovery for partitioning but would be great to know for piece of mind!

Thanks!

Guest Pieronip
Hi guys,

How do I go about partitioning the SD card and uprgading ext2 to ext3 with clockwork recovery? I see there's a partitions menu in the recovery but all I see is options to format everything. I'm still having to use the old recovery to partion my card for apps2sd, am I at risk of the dreaded USB brick using that method? I only flash roms with clockwork and just use the old recovery for partitioning but would be great to know for piece of mind!

Thanks!

Simple answer - at the moment you don't. The neccessary functionality is not in Clockwork recovery. Koush is working on this but in the meantime you need to do at least the ext2-ext3 upgrade with an extrnal utility. I used Gparted on my PC.

Guest Jase Winter
Simple answer - at the moment you don't. The neccessary functionality is not in Clockwork recovery. Koush is working on this but in the meantime you need to do at least the ext2-ext3 upgrade with an extrnal utility. I used Gparted on my PC.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Jase Winter

Guest ede444

Hi,

I have the r3.1 custom ROM with A2SD+. I did the partitioning of the sd-card with ROM-Manager. It seems to work, the apps are on the sd-card /system/sd/app . I can see them with the root explorer. As I red, the ext2 can not be backuped at the moment.

Can I still try another Rom, and go back to r3.1 without loosing the apps on ext2, or do I have to search for another way to change ext2 into ext3 before?

Thanks in advance

Guest ede444

Hi,

I flashed the -DeFrost_0.8_uvonly.zip -with the ROM-Manager. I installed teh ROM-Manager on this Rom. I played a little bit and after making a nandroid backup with recovery I restored the backup from r3.1 with A2SD+ and it worked fine. I feel like a little child playing with this.

Also I can see the Apps on the ext2 again. So the only thing is, that I get the message during the backup that the ext can not be backuped.?

Is there any problem coming up with ext2 or is it ok as long as I do not do something with it while using froyo.? I am not sure that I understand this thing with the ext partition.

Thanks for the really good work in this forum. This is amazing.

Guest Pieronip

There is no problem with using EXT2 with APPS2SD, although EXT2 has lower reliablity, the problem is that Clockwork recovery will not backup an EXT2 partition. So your apps will work fine but will not be backed up in a Nandroid backup. This is remedied by converting the EXT2 to EXT3 which you must do with some tool other than Clockwork if you want to do it at all.

You (or ROM Manager) will generally wipe the EXT partition when a new ROM is installed so you would need to re-install apps in the new ROM and again if reverting to your original ROM using Nandroid.

To keep life simple and your apps safe, I recommend converting EXT partition to EXT3 with an external tool such as the bootable GParted disk to which I referred in my last post. Then when you need to rstore a previous ROM, all your apps are restored with it.

Guest ede444

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Gparted does not see the partitions I created with the ROM-Manager? It only says 14,2 g not used, but there are 1,2 G of data on the Fat32 part I can see and copy to a save location, and the installation of apps into ext2 also should work, because I did not loose nearly any space while installing up to 20 apps. With ROOT exlporer I can see them also ( /system/sd/app). I am confused now because I can not change anything, but want to get ext3 in order to save everything with nandroid, as you mentioned.

Edit: I did some more testing. When I put another sd card in, I can not start the applications, because tey are no longer available. When I put the other sd back, it works again.

I made partitions on another sd card with gparted: 30MB swap,900MB ext3, 7GB Fat32. When I put this card into the Phone, it says "sd card defekt".

Somewhere I must do something wrong.

Edited by ede444

I see that the same applies to HTC Legend but I cannot make it work.

with manual update.zip:

I receive this error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(Status 0)

Installation aborted.

So i tried with ROM Manager

Note: The recommended install method for fake-flash is now 'ROM Manager' on the Android Market.

1 Installed

2 Clicked on "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"

3 it pops up a selection Menu with "Confirm Phone Model" (the only option avalaible is HTC Legend)

4 then it downloads the fake-flash recovery e returns me "Successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery".

5 When i try to reboot in recovery (trough ROM MANAGER options) i receive a blackscreen with a device in background and a question mark. After some seconds it restarts.

Help! ;)

Guest bhups

Can we have this so it can partition the sdcards ? some of the CRI's do this and it would be really cool for it to be implemented on this.

Guest bhups
I see that the same applies to HTC Legend but I cannot make it work.

with manual update.zip:

I receive this error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(Status 0)

Installation aborted.

So i tried with ROM Manager

1 Installed

2 Clicked on "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"

3 it pops up a selection Menu with "Confirm Phone Model" (the only option avalaible is HTC Legend)

4 then it downloads the fake-flash recovery e returns me "Successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery".

5 When i try to reboot in recovery (trough ROM MANAGER options) i receive a blackscreen with a device in background and a question mark. After some seconds it restarts.

Help! ;)

When you get this message, press and hold the VOL UP button and press the power button (while holding the Volume up button)

I think this should take you to the boot menu.

When you get this message, press and hold the VOL UP button and press the power button (while holding the Volume up button)

I think this should take you to the boot menu.

E:Failed to install package

Rebooting

Guest Frankish

I really want someone to make a recovery (preferably this one) where i can use a button other than trackpad press to confirm. Change to power or something lol. I have no trackpad!

Guest Pieronip
Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Gparted does not see the partitions I created with the ROM-Manager? It only says 14,2 g not used, but there are 1,2 G of data on the Fat32 part I can see and copy to a save location, and the installation of apps into ext2 also should work, because I did not loose nearly any space while installing up to 20 apps. With ROOT exlporer I can see them also ( /system/sd/app). I am confused now because I can not change anything, but want to get ext3 in order to save everything with nandroid, as you mentioned.

Edit: I did some more testing. When I put another sd card in, I can not start the applications, because tey are no longer available. When I put the other sd back, it works again.

I made partitions on another sd card with gparted: 30MB swap,900MB ext3, 7GB Fat32. When I put this card into the Phone, it says "sd card defekt".

Somewhere I must do something wrong.

Hi

I found that the best way of doing this is to use Clockwork to partition the SD card and then use GParted to upgrade the EXT2 to EXT3. You will not need swap normally.

Guest ede444
Hi

I found that the best way of doing this is to use Clockwork to partition the SD card and then use GParted to upgrade the EXT2 to EXT3. You will not need swap normally.

Hi,

I got it work now, after I took some deep breath and started again. After changing ext2 to ext3 the backup is also including the sd card. A2SD+ is also working fine. First I installed a baked ROM (r3.1)and it was good, now I flashed a newly baked ROM with froyo (r17) and A2SD+. It also works good excluding the camcorder which is already known in the froyo thread.

ROM Manager is working fine.

So thanks again for answering and a big Thanks also to Paul and Koush for their great efforts.

Guest dread123

you can also convert ext2 -to ext3 via the old recovery method..running that brings up the option in partitions -instead of using gparted etc etc

Guest nekromantik
I can't backup ext4 (it says that can't mount, no such device...) with v2.0.0.4 and v1.8.2.1.

My ext3 backs up fine on 1.8.2.1.

Maybe 1.8.2.1 dont support ext4, convert it to ext3 and then try.