Best Streak Apps

Guest deekarma

Guest StefanCh
Hi all,

Well it's just over 3 weeks that I have now had my Streak and since I've gone from a stock Rom to Rooted to now running my first Custom Rom cooked in the kitchen so i thought an update to the apps i have installed and am running seemed like a good idea having done this i can't believe how many i now have.

Astro File Manager: can be used to install apps that come as apk's as opposed to from the market

Barcode Scanner: easy way to install apps form QR codes or just reading Bar codes

3G Watchdog: Monitors your data use over 3G you can set your allowance and it will monitor and alert you

Live Calender: Will bring up upcoming Appointments on your Home screen

F1 Pocket 2010: all you need to stay up to date with F1

Moto GP Pocket 2010: all you need to stay up to date with Moto GP

iSyncr for PC: Easy transfer and sync of iTunes to your Streak

Google Sky Map: Map of the Stars and Planets

Engadget: Widget with scrolling updates

SystemPanelLite Task Manager:Shows your CPU and Memory use

myPlayer: BBC iPlayer

ShootMe: Screen Shots for Rooted devices

Speedtest.net Speed Test

Rock Player: Plays DivX Avi and many other formats in great quality.

Co Pilot Live: Sat Nav with POI'S and Speed Cameras

Gentle Alarm: Great Multiple Alarm app with some unique nice features

Seven Push E-Mail: Real time Push E-Mail with full folder support

Cloud List:Great: shopping or other list app also on line lists that can be shared with others

Tapatalk Pro: handy tool for posting on Forums

TVCatchup Mobile Live TV Streaming with lots of UK channels

Fring: Skype and IM chat app includes Skype Video chat

Superuser Permissions: allows rooted apps permission

Boot Explorer: File explorer and more for Rooted devices

Root Booter: Easy Normal, Recovery or Bootloader Reboot options

Boot Manager: Control over various options and apps on your device

Swype: simply the best keyboard and typing experience ever IMHO

Marc

Hi,

people keep mentioning the Seven Push Email. I have been searching for that app in the market, but cannot find it. What is it called? Does anyone have it as an apk file?

Help :lol:

S

Guest Dogmann55

Hi StefanCh

Well the reason you can't find it is it's not in the Market some Network providers install it on the devices they sell or to get it you need to sign up to the free Beta although i have no idea why they still call it a Beta as i have been using it for about 3 years or so now and it is very stable and reliable. It very rarely has an outages but does get new versions that you upgrade to directly on your device you can find all the details and sign up for the Beta here http://www.seven.com/products.mobile.email.html where you can also read all about it. The only cost on joining the Beta is the first time you install it it sends one International SMS unless you happen to be living in the Isle of Man and sorry i don't have a apk file for it as it installs directly on your device.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest StefanCh
Hi StefanCh

Well the reason you can't find it is it's not in the Market some Network providers install it on the devices they sell or to get it you need to sign up to the free Beta although i have no idea why they still call it a Beta as i have been using it for about 3 years or so now and it is very stable and reliable. It very rarely has an outages but does get new versions that you upgrade to directly on your device you can find all the details and sign up for the Beta here http://www.seven.com/products.mobile.email.html where you can also read all about it. The only cost on joining the Beta is the first time you install it it sends one International SMS unless you happen to be living in the Isle of Man and sorry i don't have a apk file for it as it installs directly on your device.

Marc

Thanks Marc,

will have look :lol:

Stefan

Guest deekarma
Hi StefanCh

Marc

Gotta say I dont rate seven. It crashes all the time, wont allow viewing or downloading of attachments and I cant find an option to mark folder read. Better than stock email though, which has feature to mark as read, but doesnt do it more often than not.

Also finding swype a good keyboard thanks to the size of the buttons, but dont find the swype feature that useful on a screen of this grandeur.

Edited by deekarma

Guest nobnut
Gotta say I dont rate seven. It crashes all the time, wont allow viewing or downloading of attachments and I cant find an option to mark folder read. Better than stock email though, which has feature to mark as read, but doesnt do it more often than not.

Also finding swype a good keyboard thanks to the size of the buttons, but dont find the swype feature that useful on a screen of this grandeur.

Well said, I agree on both counts.

Swype sucks, seven is worse than the stock offering and to add to this, Rock Player is useless. I average between 3.5 and 9.0 fps. At that speed it would take me a week to watch a film of more than 1hr 30mins.

I've got better things to do with my time... like converting movies to .mp4.

Guest Dogmann55

@deekarma & nobnut

Well all i can say is i have never had Seven crash on me not once it has just worked perfectly all the time as otherwise i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, no idea what's going wrong with yours but simple really if it doesn't suit your use don't use it and if you find something better I'd be interested to know what it is.

@nobnut

Again if you don't like Swype fair enough don't use it but with the way i have it set up both for how long the trace lasts and how long before it enters a word i think it's excellent and is faster then any other keyboard I've used and before i started using it i found the keyboard that comes on the Streak to be really good to just now prefer Swype to it is all. I have no idea what is going on with Rock Player for you but again i am playing Divx and Avi files all fine and at around 23-25fps i don't know which version you are using but the latest and official Beta version no longer shows the fps in the top right corner maybe your still using one of the first beta's that wasn't as good as it is now the latest version is Rock Player 0.2.8.Beta. and from what I've read around the various forums most users seem to be having a much better experience of it then you have and across a range of devices to.

Marc

Guest Andy Garton

Does anyway know how I can get LogMeIn please? I had the beta version but lost it when I wiped clean, and now the beta is apparently closed (with nowhere for me to login with my beta ID that I can see).

Guest nightworker_nn11

I was wondering if anyone thinks the same as me.

The whole point of me moving over to Android from winmo was the fact that i loved the idea of apps and an app store.

I never really classed marketplace as an app store as the apps weren't very good or they were very expensive.

Now i'm either doing something totally wrong (more than likely lol) but as being in the UK I find it extremely bad that every time i buy an app my bank charges me £1.50 as a service fee as it's foreign currency (dollars or Euro's)

I've contacted my bank and they told me thats the way it is.

Now I have 2 options

1. go and download programs using torrents, not ideal as it's not a good way to go or

2. Just stop buying apps altogether.. not a good thing either as I love showing off my streak and it's apps to my friends as they are all thinking about switching from winmo to android and specifically the streak.

Why can't google have a sterling payment section or let you pay via google checkout and convert it to sterling. They've lost me from the app store until a solution has been found.

Now some one will say change my bank, but why should I and I won't as I have a good deal with my bank.. it all about the principle of the thing.

So does anyone know a reasonable solution to my dilema?

Guest StefanCh
I was wondering if anyone thinks the same as me.

The whole point of me moving over to Android from winmo was the fact that i loved the idea of apps and an app store.

I never really classed marketplace as an app store as the apps weren't very good or they were very expensive.

Now i'm either doing something totally wrong (more than likely lol) but as being in the UK I find it extremely bad that every time i buy an app my bank charges me £1.50 as a service fee as it's foreign currency (dollars or Euro's)

I've contacted my bank and they told me thats the way it is.

Now I have 2 options

1. go and download programs using torrents, not ideal as it's not a good way to go or

2. Just stop buying apps altogether.. not a good thing either as I love showing off my streak and it's apps to my friends as they are all thinking about switching from winmo to android and specifically the streak.

Why can't google have a sterling payment section or let you pay via google checkout and convert it to sterling. They've lost me from the app store until a solution has been found.

Now some one will say change my bank, but why should I and I won't as I have a good deal with my bank.. it all about the principle of the thing.

So does anyone know a reasonable solution to my dilema?

I am using Google Checkout and my bank does not charge me 1.50 for anything. There is a small charge because of the currency conversion, but nothing like £1.50. Go to http://checkout.google.com and sign in with your account. Register a credit/debit card and off you go :lol:

Hope that helps.

S

Guest maskaler
I am using Google Checkout and my bank does not charge me 1.50 for anything. There is a small charge because of the currency conversion, but nothing like £1.50. Go to http://checkout.google.com and sign in with your account. Register a credit/debit card and off you go :lol:

Hope that helps.

S

I am using google checkout, with my Visa debit, and have only now realised it's a £1.25 charge because it's charged in dollars - that's ridiculous. A $0.99 app is costing me nigh on £2, which is a f*cking joke if I'm being honest.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention nightworker!

Guest StefanCh
I am using google checkout, with my Visa debit, and have only now realised it's a £1.25 charge because it's charged in dollars - that's ridiculous. A $0.99 app is costing me nigh on £2, which is a f*cking joke if I'm being honest.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention nightworker!

Which bank is your card with? Mine is Barclays.

Regards, S

Guest StefanCh
It's a Royal Bank of Scotland Visa Debit

Interesting. It should not charge you, but then again, different banks, different rules :D unfortunately :D

As i said, i am using Barclay's Visa Debit and commission is minimal (£0.02 for my last App).

Have you considered changing banks :lol:

S

Guest nightworker_nn11

My bank is bank of scotland

Its Interesting to see another person hasn't realised. I just wonder how many more android users don't know

but it makes an intresting topic, makes me rather anoyed that the power of google can't offer country specific currency. Then again maybe they don't want to be charged for the conversion so they just let the users pay.

Not me anymore!

So if ur reading this post google then please do somethin abou it, or refund me my bank charges lol

Guest maskaler
My bank is bank of scotland

Its Interesting to see another person hasn't realised. I just wonder how many more android users don't know

but it makes an intresting topic, makes me rather anoyed that the power of google can't offer country specific currency. Then again maybe they don't want to be charged for the conversion so they just let the users pay.

Not me anymore!

So if ur reading this post google then please do somethin abou it, or refund me my bank charges lol

Yeh, I did a quick google and there aren't many hits - it's really going to put me off buying apps just to try them out which affects developers and in the grand scheme of things may mean fewer apps being created of great value.

Google has such massive coffers that I struggle to believe they couldn't have a local currency store and perform large currency conversions with a much lower conversion rate than I'm having to pay!

Guest nightworker_nn11

Like i said S, its the principle of the thing.

SHouldn't hav to change ur bank. Paypal can do these things as mentioned.

So google are technically discrimminating against me for living in uk as if i was in a euro currency or us then this wouldn't apply. As i would be buying the apps in my currency.

Guest nightworker_nn11

Now here is the kicker!

If u don't like the app and ask for a refund, does this mean u get charged again?

I bet it does.

Going to open a new thread on this point to try n highlight it better

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zigzagindex

Could somebody kindly introduce a good speed dial app for the streak? I bought TAKEphONE but simply uninstalled it after 5 minutes. TAKEphONE does not fit streak's big screen...

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unfitguy

Found an absolutely awesome calendar widget Android Agenda Widget which is FREE, I have been a long time user of Pure Calendar but it doesn't really suit the dell screen. Android Agenda widget fits the screen much better I have 2 4x4 widgets on 1 screen and they fill it out perfectly, the widgets have the ability to display different calendars so I have one for Work and one for Personal absolutely awesome.

On a separate note thinking of selling my Dell to fund a Motorolla XT720 £360 quid from Play anyone got any thoughts, I feel the Dell is great for browsing but just too big for a daily phone

Guest Metoo
On a separate note thinking of selling my Dell to fund a Motorolla XT720 £360 quid from Play anyone got any thoughts, I feel the Dell is great for browsing but just too big for a daily phone

+more pocket friendly

+hdmi out

+HD Video recording

+better cam

+Android 2.1 (but that's promised for the Dell eventually)

-locked bootloader (so no cooked ROMs, stuck with whatever Moto give you)

-720MHz CPU, 256MB RAM makes it mid range device which is below Google's recommended spec for Android 3.0 (1GHz/512MB)

-smaller battery

-3.7" when the trend is 4"+