Telstra HTC Desire Upgrade

Guest madleb

Guest madleb

Hi Guys,

I have been researching to finally get the guts to flash my phone to a standard rom. Its a Telstra rom and just want a standard desire rom on it.

Here are my phone details

HBOOT – 0.75.0000

RADIO – 4.05.00.11

FIRMWARE: 2.1-UPDATE1

BASEBAND: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

KERNEL: 2.6.29-3CB3DFBF

BUILD: 1.16.841. CL171554 RELEASE KEYS

I want to follow Paul's method and feel a little stuck

He states the following method:

- If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD

- ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD

I have bootloader 0.75 but my rom is 1.16.841, does that mean that the first one is not suitable and i download the 0.80 as i have a rom under 1.21??

Now i have created a gold card and feel comfortable going through the rooting process but for now i dont want to put a full custom rom just a standard wwe release rom. I downloaded a wwe release but its an EXE file, should i just archive it into a ZIP file and put it on the SD card?

Also in the instruction it states we need to flash with update.zip or rootupdate.zip where do i find this?

Thanks everyone for your help

Paul

Edited by madleb

Guest KHShapiro

i did my telstra last week , followed the r5 version then installed the rooted 1.21 and everything works great and no telstra crap!

Guest Gabriel Tavares

Muskie, I have the exact same situation as the creator of the topic.

I thank you for your help but the solution you gave us is to root the device and install a custom ROM.

Isn't there any way to install only the 1.21 generic ROM for A8183 without all the Telstra stuff and without rooting the phone?

Thank you very much in advance.

Gabriel

Guest madleb

Hey Muskie,

where would i find update.zip its not listed anywhere? Now that rom you have listed still has some telstra items on there, any chance we can find just a plain wwe release that would work on our device as a .zip format not exe

Cheers for your help mate

Paul

Guest KHShapiro

root it with the r5 method at the top of the forum , its a sticky and very easy. then apply this http://rapidshare.com/files/395319842/root...-2.1-signed.zip this is also from a thread located here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ion-1-21-405-2/

reading does wonders

or just create a gold card and flash it and let the system reboot as a stock desire with a bootloader of .80 and 1.21 but rooting it is easy and well worth it ... not to mention you can also unroot the device if you want..

Guest madleb
root it with the r5 method at the top of the forum , its a sticky and very easy. then apply this http://rapidshare.com/files/395319842/root...-2.1-signed.zip this is also from a thread located here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...ion-1-21-405-2/

reading does wonders

or just create a gold card and flash it and let the system reboot as a stock desire with a bootloader of .80 and 1.21 but rooting it is easy and well worth it ... not to mention you can also unroot the device if you want..

no worries mate will give it a shot tonight thanks guys for all your help so far

Guest dickenz
no worries mate will give it a shot tonight thanks guys for all your help so far

Hey Paul,

Just follow the directions in my PM and you'll be a happy camper :)

Cheers.

Guest Muskie

You can not install an RUU update for the Desire 8183 other than the Telstra ones, due to the fact that the devices are diffrerrent. You cqan do so, but it will screw up your RADIO ROM, and mess with your ablity to make calls and recieve/send data, as Telstra use the 900mhz spectrum.

The only option for Telstra desire users that I know of is rooting using Paul's MCR, or installing an RUU while using a GoldCard. There are no Drawbacks to using a rooted ROM. (and you'll have to if you want Froyo before telstra take their damned time making one which may be up to 6 months after HTC release!)

Edited by Muskie

Guest MarcioRS

I received my Desire of Australia - by Telstra, with rom 1.16.841.1 and that there was no menu in PTB. Morelocade2 tried, but only 20% changed, not happy I read this msg: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php? T = 684 259. (I downloaded the file RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.ex) Started the installation and after booting my machine aparcar with the white screen from HTC (formerly Blue telstra) and appeared on the menu option PTB.

Today everything is working properly.

Recebi o meu Desire da Austrália - by Telstra, com a rom 1.16.841.1 e nessa não havia menu em PTB. Tentei o morelocade2, mas somente 20% alterou, não satisfeito li essa msg : forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=684259. ( baixei o arquivo RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.ex ) Iniciei a instalação e após o boot meu aparelho aparceu com a tela branca da HTC ( antes era azul da telstra) e apareceu a opção de menu em PTB.

Hoje está tudo funcionando corretamente.

Guest qubit76

Just to be double sure, I have exactly the same specs as the OP - a phone bought from Telstra that I'm running on the 3 network with boot-laoder 0.75.xx.. and build 1.16.xx....Do I use the "0.80.xx and below" method in r5 because my rom is > 1.15.xx ?

Edited by qubit76

Guest Muskie
Just to be double sure, I have exactly the same specs as the OP - a phone bought from Telstra that I'm running on the 3 network with boot-laoder 0.75.xx.. and build 1.16.xx....Do I use the "0.80.xx and below" method in r5 because my rom is > 1.15.xx ?

All 8183 Model telstra desires must use Rx-desire-root-ALT.

:)

Guest qubit76
All 8183 Model telstra desires must use Rx-desire-root-ALT.

:)

Cheers :) I'm not sure what the Rx-desire-root-ALT is, but I got it rooted first go with a goldcard using the r5 method for bootloaders 0.80.xx and below. Running richards DeFrost 0.8 atm using fake-flash

Edited by qubit76

• 1 month later...
Guest what.the
You can not install an RUU update for the Desire 8183 other than the Telstra ones, due to the fact that the devices are diffrerrent. You cqan do so, but it will screw up your RADIO ROM, and mess with your ablity to make calls and recieve/send data, as Telstra use the 900mhz spectrum.

The only option for Telstra desire users that I know of is rooting using Paul's MCR, or installing an RUU while using a GoldCard. There are no Drawbacks to using a rooted ROM. (and you'll have to if you want Froyo before telstra take their damned time making one which may be up to 6 months after HTC release!)

I followed this procedure to the letter http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720294

BUT - DID NOT DO THE RADIO UPDATE !!! :(

Everything works like a charm...

Telstra HTC Desire works like a charm, no issues with anything whatsoever...

Guest Dolphin Trainer

Once you're rooted, you can load any ROM you like. I also have a Telstra A8183 (which I use on both the 3 Aus network and Telstra Next G network) and have not had any issues running generic ROMs from Europe (or elsewhere). Worst case scenario is you might need to type in some APN details. Hardware differences (850/2100 v 900/2100 seem to be just that, hardware differences. I can use NextG fine at HSDPA speeds with a Euro ROM originally from an A8181 device.

I prefer generic ROM's with my own modifications over releases like MCR etc. What I did was root my phone using the r6 method. Then I downloaded some generic (unrooted) RUU exe's that I wanted to play with. I then rooted those ROM's using dsixda's HTC Android Kitchen and loaded them onto my phone.

Currently using a custom ROM based on RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_sign

d.exe with radio ROM 32.37.00.32U_4.06.00.16_2.

My phone originally had the same version numbers as the OP.