[GUIDE][NOT WORKING] How to cook roms with a visual kitchen.

Guest Steel Reign

Guest Steel Reign
I think i figured it out but you have to use o2util.

Download it from here.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...lity-for-i8000/

1) Turn a binary dump (the 'pda_dump.bin' that generates Sorg' utility), into a flashable NB0 ROM.

For cookers, it also serves to pack a 'pda.os.nb' file (the one you cooked with osnbtool.exe, etc), into a flashable NB0 ROM.

-nb0pack <rom_name> <os.nb_filename,pda_dump.bin etc> [ <nb0_destination_file ]

The tool deals with checksum, file size adjustment, and creates the proper header, labeling your rom <rom_name>.

Instead of using the pda_dump.bin use the rom file that is output by OsKitchen

Well that was a total fail, don't worry I went from not being able to use this kitchen at the beginning of a day then got it to compile a rom by the end. I'm sure I'll have something flashable by the end of the day :). If we need too we can contact wozzer i guess.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest amdzero
Well that was a total fail, don't worry I went from not being able to use this kitchen at the beginning of a day then got it to compile a rom by the end. I'm sure I'll have something flashable by the end of the day :). If we need too we can contact wozzer i guess.

I'm a little iffy on the subject of visual kitchen as I have NO experience with it. It looks very promissing, but I don't know what is going wrong. I'd like to say that the .nb file it creates is good, but who knows.

At this point it could be the .nb is jacked up during the build processess, or the o2util doesn't convert it to a .nb0 properly.

Let me know if you fix it, for now back to my other projects...

Guest Steel Reign
I'm a little iffy on the subject of visual kitchen as I have NO experience with it. It looks very promissing, but I don't know what is going wrong. I'd like to say that the .nb file it creates is good, but who knows.

At this point it could be the .nb is jacked up during the build processess, or the o2util doesn't convert it to a .nb0 properly.

Let me know if you fix it, for now back to my other projects...

Well it looks to me like the file is complete when viewed in a hexeditor, we just need to figure out how to convert it. If I don't figure it out, we'll call out wozzer the master chef, but first I'll contact the author of the kitchen. But yeah get to work on that maxsense project! :) I got this under control :)

Edit: I have confirmed the file the kitchen generates is indeed correct with nbinfo.exe So now all we need to do is convert it.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest Steel Reign

I got o2util to make a flashable file: Follow these instructions

o2util -mst_to_nb0 [File that OsKitchen Created] flash.nb0

Guest Steel Reign

Any testers wanna try flashing a rom for me? It has opera mobile 10, and some other stuff cooked in along with windows mobile 6.5.5. As always there is a chance that you may brick your phone.

Edited by Steel Reign

Guest amdzero
Any testers wanna try flashing a rom for me? It has opera mobile 10, and some other stuff cooked in along with windows mobile 6.5.5. As always there is a chance that you may brick your phone.

Post it, I'll flash it

Guest btben

When the visual kitchen is importing the ROM, I get an error from Windows Vista that "nbimagetool.exe has stopped working." It appears that it may have done its job, splitting pda.nb into 3 different files, but later, when building, I get the same error only for platform builder. Any idea what might be causing the nbinagetool.exe problem? I've running it from the commandline and it has the same error at the end.

Guest somato

Hmm, tried messing with this over the weekend, but every time I import my pda.nb I get a bunch of messages telling me that the OEMApps, OEMDrivers, etc folders are not valid and will be skipped. Is this normal or can someone explain how to fix it? Thanks!

Guest Robtao

So this has gone somewhat quiet. Is the Visual Kitchen for Omnia II stuck somewhere, or is this really as easy as the title says it is?

I was all ready to try to jump in, but when the big guns were having issues, I thought it best to wait.

Can somebody update?

Edited by Robtao

Guest Steel Reign
So this has gone somewhat quiet. Is the Visual Kitchen for Omnia II stuck somewhere, or is this really as easy as the title says it is?

I was already to try to jump in, but when the big guns were having issues, I thought it best to wait.

Can somebody update?

It's having trouble compiling the rom into a flashable format, and I'm workin on it right now :) I've just been really busy with my rom.

Guest btben
When the visual kitchen is importing the ROM, I get an error from Windows Vista that "nbimagetool.exe has stopped working." It appears that it may have done its job, splitting pda.nb into 3 different files, but later, when building, I get the same error only for platform builder. Any idea what might be causing the nbinagetool.exe problem? I've running it from the commandline and it has the same error at the end.

Although I have not actually tried flashing it, it appears to be working for me. I still get the nbimagetool.exe error when I import a ROM, but everything appears to build right when I try building it. I am hesitant to flash because I don't have the extended warranty and the nbimagetool.exe error makes me nervous. Here are the things I did that may have made it work.

- I started from a pretty clean kitchen (erased all my previous attempts).

- Made sure I had plenty of harddrive space (atleast a few gigs)

- I got an error that "\osKitchen Zero\temp\ROM Building\Temporary OS Generation\os.nb.payload.new.new" was missing or in use. I went to that folder and renamed "os.nb.payload.NEW" to "os.nb.payload.NEW.new" and clicked retry and the build continues.

- I changed the output from Samsung_SCH-i920_0409.nb to a .nb0 file using o2util

( ie. "o2util -mst_to_nb0 Samsung_SCH-i920_0409.nb flash.nb0" )

Like I said, I haven't actually flashed it, but it looks good.

Guest amdzero
Although I have not actually tried flashing it, it appears to be working for me. I still get the nbimagetool.exe error when I import a ROM, but everything appears to build right when I try building it. I am hesitant to flash because I don't have the extended warranty and the nbimagetool.exe error makes me nervous. Here are the things I did that may have made it work.

- I started from a pretty clean kitchen (erased all my previous attempts).

- Made sure I had plenty of harddrive space (atleast a few gigs)

- I got an error that "\osKitchen Zero\temp\ROM Building\Temporary OS Generation\os.nb.payload.new.new" was missing or in use. I went to that folder and renamed "os.nb.payload.NEW" to "os.nb.payload.NEW.new" and clicked retry and the build continues.

- I changed the output from Samsung_SCH-i920_0409.nb to a .nb0 file using o2util

( ie. "o2util -mst_to_nb0 Samsung_SCH-i920_0409.nb flash.nb0" )

Like I said, I haven't actually flashed it, but it looks good.

put it up on 4shared and I'll flash it.

btw the warranty means nothing, as you can flash back to official stock anytime you want, even if the phone appears to be bricked.

Guest btben
put it up on 4shared and I'll flash it.

btw the warranty means nothing, as you can flash back to official stock anytime you want, even if the phone appears to be bricked.

I got up courage and flashed it, but it stuck on the Omnia II screen ;). So still no success.

Guest amdzero
I got up courage and flashed it, but it stuck on the Omnia II screen ;). So still no success.

yeah I don't know enough about visual kitchens to understand the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xlightwaverx

Nice, once this rolls out as working, I'm going to join into the mix.

Just fyi guys, I've started work on this again!

Guest indivx
Just fyi guys, I've started work on this again!

Nice to see chefs are working on this visual kitchen. Steel, I also contacted the author of the oskitchen, he tried building rom but faced the same problem. The platformrebuilder crashes. He gave me the following reasons for this;

1. OSkitchen cannot rebuild XIP for omniaii/omnia pro.

2. nk.exe making it to crash, then he tried by replacing our nk.exe with htc nk.exe.........everything works like a charm, no crashes, so its nk.exe which is the problem.

3. He suggested that either we can use OSBuilder or PPCK (if ppck add support for omniaII).

I have also read one tutorial on xda of OSKitchen, it was mentioned there that if anyone want to use this visual kitchen then it can be done if one can convert .nb to their rom format (nb0 in our case). Another thing mentioned that if platformrebuilder crashes because of nk.exe, then one can overcome this by using dummy nk.exe (now I dont know what this dummy nk.exe is----whether it is htc replacement or what).

I am still searching for clues to make it work or adapting any other visual kitchen.

Lets hope for the best.

Guest Steel Reign
Nice to see chefs are working on this visual kitchen. Steel, I also contacted the author of the oskitchen, he tried building rom but faced the same problem. The platformrebuilder crashes. He gave me the following reasons for this;

1. OSkitchen cannot rebuild XIP for omniaii/omnia pro.

2. nk.exe making it to crash, then he tried by replacing our nk.exe with htc nk.exe.........everything works like a charm, no crashes, so its nk.exe which is the problem.

3. He suggested that either we can use OSBuilder or PPCK (if ppck add support for omniaII).

I have also read one tutorial on xda of OSKitchen, it was mentioned there that if anyone want to use this visual kitchen then it can be done if one can convert .nb to their rom format (nb0 in our case). Another thing mentioned that if platformrebuilder crashes because of nk.exe, then one can overcome this by using dummy nk.exe (now I dont know what this dummy nk.exe is----whether it is htc replacement or what).

I am still searching for clues to make it work or adapting any other visual kitchen.

Lets hope for the best.

I found a visual kitchen awhile back that I think will work if we put some time into it... but the problem is I forgot the name. I got it to decompile a stock rom, so it should be able to do the opposite, the problem is that you have to "donate" to use its more advanced features >=|. Something I don't support.

Guest xlightwaverx

Yeah, I got the same results when I tried it. Almost had the Verizon DC23 EXE ROM Update pulled, but it crashes at the end. I heard about the dummy nk.exe. I just don't know how about utilizing it.

X

I found a visual kitchen awhile back that I think will work if we put some time into it... but the problem is I forgot the name. I got it to decompile a stock rom, so it should be able to do the opposite, the problem is that you have to "donate" to use its more advanced features >=|. Something I don't support.

Guest indivx

You are right, I dont support something like that. I was told by the author of OSkitchen that there was one guy who did manage to build omnia ii roms with this kitchen but he never heard from him again. So it is possible. There is a utility which can convert nb to bin which we can use but the problem with platformrebuilder still remains.

Regarding ppck, GGuruUSA - great chef can help us. Will wait for your results from that new kitchen you are experimenting with.