Vanilla Vs Sense

Guest Winston69

Guest milko9000

HTC widgets

7 homescreens

The look of it

Some Hero stuff seems to rely on it (eg Bluetooth audio)

(etc)

whether any of those are actually important is another matter, and down to the individual! For me the open stuff on the market has largely caught up in terms of the first three (well, I don't need 7 homescreens anyway, I have a nice 3 screen setup in LauncherPro).

Edited by milko9000

yeah, like I say the market stuff has caught up. And looks better too!

What do you get with Sense? How about the inability to upgrade to the latest version of Android without waiting 6 months!

Guest subhramani

More than 6 months you mean? :)

Like milko9000 mentioned, I prefer using the market apps with Launcher Pro.

For me, Vanilla is like a mom and Sense is a step over Vanilla which makes it feel like a step mom :-P

Guest goatee

You also lose the ability to sync your calendar with Exchange, that Sense gives you.

HTC widgets

7 homescreens

The look of it

Some Hero stuff seems to rely on it (eg Bluetooth audio)

(etc)

whether any of those are actually important is another matter, and down to the individual! For me the open stuff on the market has largely caught up in terms of the first three (well, I don't need 7 homescreens anyway, I have a nice 3 screen setup in LauncherPro).

Edited by goatee

Guest anderneo
You also lose the ability to sync your calendar with Exchange, that Sense gives you.

I don't think so.. Since 2.1 google has the ability to use exchange..

Guest goatee

I know so - 2.1 has support for email and contacts, but not calendar. . . Why, I don't know, and were it not for that, I'd have been tempted to stick with Radug's Vanilla ROM.

I don't think so.. Since 2.1 google has the ability to use exchange..
Edited by goatee

Guest subhramani
Oh, and one last thing, is the Sense dialler is better - it's quick and full T9 / numeric search while you dial.

I prefer Dialler One. Does the same thing. I prefer this over the HTC Dialler. I can tap on the contact image and I get the other options (Eclair feature) which doesnt work with the HTC Dialler.

Guest paulsmith

I was thinking about moving over to a non-sense ROM because I want to use a bluetooth apple keyboard - there is an app in the market called BlueKeyboard JP

Am I right in thinking because of sense I cannot use this keyboard app?

Im put off removing sense as I use bluetooth A2DP a lot. Are any of the new vanilla roms based on the offical 2.1 going to work with A2DP?

I was thinking about moving over to a non-sense ROM because I want to use a bluetooth apple keyboard - there is an app in the market called BlueKeyboard JP

Im put off removing sense as I use bluetooth A2DP a lot. Are any of the new vanilla roms based on the offical 2.1 going to work with A2DP?

One person mentioned a problem with BT /after/ removing Sense from Paul's 2.1 WIP. However BT certainly works with Sense under 2.1. I'm using a Freedom Pro BT keyboard with Freedom Input's own drivers & it finally works, now I have WIP installed. I couldn't get it to connect under 1.5, using HID or SPP BT profiles. I'll be trying it without Sense soon too, as I prefer the customisability of the alternative home screens. It ought to be fine without Sense, though even if there are problems due to HTC, once the gsm Hero source is out, some devs will fix BT in the Vanilla ROMs derived from HTC's stock ROM.

Guest masterpfa

Success!!!! ;)

Radu, over at XDA-Developers, has an AWESOME Vanilla based ROM that now has working A2DP, the one thing that many people had been complaining about with AOSP/Vanilla ROMS.

I have been using his ROMS from since he first started developing ROMS and Radu, along with the community, has developed 2 great Custom Roms

VanillaEclair 4.0 for all flavours as long as it's Vanilla and

ChocolateEclair 1.0.1 for those who prefer sense.

Have a look, both workable and fully useable as daily ROMS :(

Edited by masterpfa

Paul's WIP kitchen allows one to bake a ROM without Sense. Hopefully Paul can incorporate whatever fix Radu has, so that BT will work on Senseless WIPs. I'd like to stick with the upcoming MCR, but am slowly drifting away from Sense.

Guest MrBubba999
Success!!!! ;)

Radu, over at XDA-Developers, has an AWESOME Vanilla based ROM that now has working A2DP, the one thing that many people had been complaining about with AOSP/Vanilla ROMS.

I have been using his ROMS from since he first started developing ROMS and Radu, along with the community, has developed 2 great Custom Roms

VanillaEclair 4.0 for all flavours as long as it's Vanilla and

ChocolateEclair 1.0.1 for those who prefer sense.

Have a look, both workable and fully useable as daily ROMS :(

+1 for VanillaEclair, have been running it for a couple of days and its so quick. I used to love the Sense stuff, but at the moment with all these ROM's, I just find them slow and sluggish.

1 thing I do miss, is the Facebook link with the People Contacts that Sense had and Vanilla doesn't.

Guest Winston69
+1 for VanillaEclair, have been running it for a couple of days and its so quick. I used to love the Sense stuff, but at the moment with all these ROM's, I just find them slow and sluggish.

1 thing I do miss, is the Facebook link with the People Contacts that Sense had and Vanilla doesn't.

If you install the facebook app doesn't that solve this problem?

Guest Hoegaarden

I installed VanillaEclair on my Hero a couple of days back and while it's amazingly quick and great on battery life (and LauncherPro is awesome), I have a couple of concerns regarding obtaining the look and feel I'm used to (Sense).

- Is there any way to get a black notifications bar and area? I enjoy the black themed backgrounds and launcher widgets, but it looks kinda out of place with the white plastic style notification bar.

- The Sense dialog boxes are also nice. Any way to skin the OS to use these instead of the vanilla light ones?

- Also I've noticed that the cool fading/zooming window transition present on vanilla eclair is gone completely from sense, and there's just a hard transition from screen to screen instead. Any way to get the cool transition back?

I'd be grateful if anyone knowledgeable in this area could give some insight. Cheers!

Edited by Hoegaarden

Guest Lynchpin
Paul's WIP kitchen allows one to bake a ROM without Sense. Hopefully Paul can incorporate whatever fix Radu has, so that BT will work on Senseless WIPs. I'd like to stick with the upcoming MCR, but am slowly drifting away from Sense.

I used to switch to Vanilla ("Home") with Paul's 3.2 ROM, which worked fine. It isn't an option under MCR4 though - there's Sense, and that's it. I tried baking a ROM without Sense as well, and well, it doesn't work well - you still have the black-themed Sense look; in fact all that I noticed that was missing was the inability to choose the HTC launcher (I baked LauncherPro into it).

Strange that you can't choose the Vanilla Home any more; it'd be great to find out why. Looks like probably HTC nuked it from this ROM release. Lame.

Guest Winston69
I installed VanillaEclair on my Hero a couple of days back and while it's amazingly quick and great on battery life (and LauncherPro is awesome), I have a couple of concerns regarding obtaining the look and feel I'm used to (Sense).

- Is there any way to get a black notifications bar and area? I enjoy the black themed backgrounds and launcher widgets, but it looks kinda out of place with the white plastic style notification bar.

- The Sense dialog boxes are also nice. Any way to skin the OS to use these instead of the vanilla light ones?

- Also I've noticed that the cool fading/zooming window transition present on vanilla eclair is gone completely from sense, and there's just a hard transition from screen to screen instead. Any way to get the cool transition back?

I'd be grateful if anyone knowledgeable in this area could give some insight. Cheers!

I'd like to know this also.. Anybody?

Guest Dr. dre
I'd like to know this also.. Anybody?

You can try flashing a Sense ROM and on top of that you can use Launcher Pro and Spare Parts to set the speeds of transitions and to get the Sense like Notification Bar.

Guest Hoegaarden
You can try flashing a Sense ROM and on top of that you can use Launcher Pro and Spare Parts to set the speeds of transitions and to get the Sense like Notification Bar.

That helped get the transitions back on ChocolateEclair, thanks! Although I saw no option for the notification bar - mine's already black since switching.

Guest masterpfa

You would be best of with a Sense ROM i.e ChocolateEclair, MCR, Villain etc and using a "Home Theme" such as Panda Home, Home ++ etc.

Guest Dr. dre
You would be best of with a Sense ROM i.e ChocolateEclair, MCR, Villain etc and using a "Home Theme" such as Panda Home, Home ++ etc.

But doesn't PandaHome Theme supports only 1.5 & 1.6, I don't know about Home ++ themes.

Guest paulsmith

I've been using vanilla eclair for a couple of days now.

A2DP does indeed work pretty well.

I could not get my apple bluetooth keyboard to work - it pairs via bluetooth but doesn't seem to connect.

Anyone had bad battery life with this ROM?