MCR r21 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest EddyOS
Works beautifully - many thanks!

Glad its working :lol:

On the Sense debate, I rebake with LauncherPro - better than stock Launcher and a lot faster...

Seriously good ROM, will be nice if HTC do anything anywhere near as good!!

Guest mrharm
It is not sth Paul can do - this is how the Froyo works no matter who makes the ROM. Go get Moxier or wait if HTC will fix it. :lol:

Well, HTC don't need to fix anything, as they already have a fully functional Exchange client in all Sense-enabled devices with 2.1.

But I thought FroYo was supposed to bring full Exchange support with security policies etc. to stock Android. Guess that was wrong.

Guest Pitiklin

With modaco r20 (camcorder fix) my youtube quality videos are very poor...other mp4 videos have the same problem

sorry for my poor english :lol: and thanks for all!

Guest steetiehj

I had r20 on from yesterday; everything seems OK apart from the battery/display... I took the phone off charge this morning; got to work after fairly heavy usage with music and web browsing... and this is my usage..

Display 67%

Cell Standby 6%

mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser 6%

Android System 6%

Mediaserver 3%

Android Live Wallpapers 3%

Phone idle 2%

android.process.acore 2%

is there an issue with the display on this?

Guest Curfish

Surely people just read their battery information wrong

Say your journey in used 10% of the battery, then your battery display is saying that 67% of that 10% was used on the display. 3% of that 10% was used to keep your wallpaper going.

Thats how i read i anyways

Guest FrancisFuku

I agree with Curfish. If you want to be sure : after you have a long call (1 hour for example), you'll see that voice calls will "use" 70 %, and therefore, the display will only use 20 % (for example).

Guest steetiehj
I agree with Curfish. If you want to be sure : after you have a long call (1 hour for example), you'll see that voice calls will "use" 70 %, and therefore, the display will only use 20 % (for example).

Can I just add then that my battery has gone down from 100% to 37%; that's in 4 hours...

Guest Curfish
Can I just add then that my battery has gone down from 100% to 37%; that's in 4 hours...

And was your screen on for most of those 4 hours?

Guest EddyOS

What do you use the phone for? I don't use mine a lot as I'm work 9hrs of the day so use a PC but by the time I get home I'm usually on about 60% - maybe more

Guest steetiehj
And was your screen on for most of those 4 hours?

probably around 1 1/2 hours of that time

before I flashed the phone it never showed the screen like that plus do you think after 4 hours use I should have dropped 63% of battery

Guest Time Sheep

That battery monitor is not of much use :S

If you have programs running in the background (For example I have Screebl)It might say they consume a lot of battery. As for Screebl it's just because it takes over when the phone is idle...

Guest scotch whisky

All working OK here. Battery at 75% after 12 hours but then I use it mainly to receive emails and as a phone!

Even my laptop only lasts about 4 hours with heavy use. In my opinion some people have unrealistic expectations of battery life when using the Desire as a mini laptop.

Guest battletank
Sense UI is nice, I like that myself, but now almost all of the functions can be replaced by other applications.

But indeed, those nice replacements are not free.

sense launcher can be replaced by launcherpro, this is a very good one, and it's free.

clock and weather -> beautiful widgets (pay) or fancy widgets (free)

calender -> Jorte + android agenda widget (free) or pure calender widget (pay)

mail widget -> pure messenger (pay)

friendstream -> pure messenger (pay)

the only one that is missing is 4x4 widget for RSS, but in my experience the rss widget in Sense is not working good, it didn't do any update and sometimes it redirects me to the wrong news index.

I am using buzzbox at this moment for the RSS, it is a nice free application. Also I use FeedR (pay), but I still prefer buzzbox.

I choose to use the free options as much as possible, but I pay for pure messenger, which is worth it.

Try it, and you won't miss Sense UI after that.

Not sure if you've tried using two Pure Messenger widgets together - one for 'Friendstream', one for mail.... invariably the two get very clunky and mixed up. There also aren't comparable widgets for bookmarks or contacts, specifically with scrolling.

Guest battletank

Possibly just me (or the O2 network here) - but, having gone out of my usual wifi area, I have 4 bars of 3G signal, but no data connection...

Guest afiorillo

I think people complaining about battery life just come from some Nokia cell phone: this device, like any other like that, is a small computer, not a cell phone.

So you cannot expect some six-days of heavy use lastings, some hours is much more realistic. Screen back light and touch recognition are the main battery drainers, so playing around with the web browser for an hour will simply cut to the half the battery charge. That's absolutely normal.

If you want to know more about your battery usage, please install a program like Battery Graph (http://bit.ly/czUtwu) or JuicePlotter (http://bit.ly/9heIn2) and watch for yourself. ;-)

Guest medomedo
I think people complaining about battery life just come from some Nokia cell phone: this device, like any other like that, is a small computer, not a cell phone.

So you cannot expect some six-days of heavy use lastings, some hours is much more realistic. Screen back light and touch recognition are the main battery drainers, so playing around with the web browser for an hour will simply cut to the half the battery charge. That's absolutely normal.

If you want to know more about your battery usage, please install a program like Battery Graph (http://bit.ly/czUtwu) or JuicePlotter (http://bit.ly/9heIn2) and watch for yourself. ;-)

I hope that people complain about battery are comparing r3.1 with r20. I think that would be fair comparison ...

Any one have stats?

My own observation (using JuicePlotter) is that I get 20 hours on r18 VS 30 hours on r3.1 given that my desire is on standby and under similar conditions (3G data on, wifi on)

Guest spammyspam
All working OK here. Battery at 75% after 12 hours but then I use it mainly to receive emails and as a phone!

Even my laptop only lasts about 4 hours with heavy use. In my opinion some people have unrealistic expectations of battery life when using the Desire as a mini laptop.

I think you're both being a little unfair. Personally I'm comparing my battery life to that demonstrated by other posters here - for example there's no way 12 hours would leave 75% of life left on my Desire; even if I didn't use it at all.

I only expect what others seem to be reporting here.

Guest EddyOS

It's about comparing usage - I only use my phone as a phone and for emails/fb/twitter (the odd bit of browsing when away from my PC as well) so I get over 24hrs (probably about 36hrs) between charges but I charge every night anyway. Obviously the more you use the phone the quicker the battery will drain

Edited by EddyOS

Guest spammyspam

Sure. But if I claim to use my phone FAR less than you do (maybe 10mins of calls a day?), but have worse battery performance (On a full charge and after doing nothing, Juiceplotter claims I have 24 hours of power left), surely that's something worth mentioning just in case it's something in the ROM?