MCR r21 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dee163

Try Cyanogen Rom.

It is better.

Along with some others, been getting complaints about phone echo on the other end. An update to this great ROM would be well appreciated as this is comfortably the best Desire ROM imo.

Guest iStone2
Hello, I intalled this rom serval times with diferent configurations and allways the same bug, when I record a video the phone reboots... I have installed the latest radio... any FIX??

Same here :-(

But no other issues found yet.

Guest Johann Grimm

Hi Paul,

So, with the arrival of the official Froyo on Desire phones, what do you think we should do ? Revert to official roms ?

Waiting to hear from you,

J.

Guest giorgisp

Hello, I love this rom because I like much better the look of the stock android but I would like to have some of the HTC applications too such as the Camera application (because it looks better and supports 720p video) and the flashlight application. Is is possible to install them in this ROM?

Thank you!

I also have the issue with the video recording, the phone freezes then reboots :)

Edited by giorgisp

Guest tigris666

Perhaps i'm just missing something, when i tap the phone icon at the bottom, it says application not installed. Wait, what? I need to install an actual "phone" application to be able to dial or view the contacts on my sim?

Edit: I just read other people having this issue and were told to "wipe" first. Not sure I follow this, as the instructions on the first post don't mention wiping. They do mention doing a nandroid backup but I'm not exactly sure what this achieves. I followed the instructions to the letter, no wiping. Perhaps I'll wipe and see if it helps, I don't have any apps/data I care about anyway.

Edited by tigris666

Guest GutterClown
Perhaps i'm just missing something, when i tap the phone icon at the bottom, it says application not installed. Wait, what? I need to install an actual "phone" application to be able to dial or view the contacts on my sim?

Edit: I just read other people having this issue and were told to "wipe" first. Not sure I follow this, as the instructions on the first post don't mention wiping. They do mention doing a nandroid backup but I'm not exactly sure what this achieves. I followed the instructions to the letter, no wiping. Perhaps I'll wipe and see if it helps, I don't have any apps/data I care about anyway.

Correct, wiping will solve this problem.

Guest Noonski

@Paul

The Mediafire

r21 with default MoDaCo additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) / MIRROR (ROMraid / CoBlitz) - MD5: 78111503831bbeea54a38d35afcb8328

Link is deadish ()

I still believe there might be people around flashing Custom roms that might think it's actually really dead :)

Edited by Noonski

Guest AV1985

Does anyone else have the issue where on boot, market force closes even if you don't open it. It just, crashes on boot or so the dialog box says.

I've tried the other ROMs and they suck so much compared to this one and are so buggy. I wish we could get an update for this one to fix the bugs!

Guest angelogiuffrida
I guess all the attention goes out to the Sense roms.

So I'm not the only other person in the world who actually hates the HTC Sense and bloatware? :D

Guest Time Sheep
So I'm not the only other person in the world who actually hates the HTC Sense and bloatware? :D

Erm, if it's the bloatware you hate, bake a ROM without it, or remove it all after installing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Quiksilver78
I've got the video recording reboot issue too. Any help would be highly appreciated :-) (radio: 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20)

Here the same, in my HTC Desire camcorder freezes the phone, bluetooth does not work and screen is not so bright, any update to fix this?

Anyway your ROM is excellent.

Edited by Quiksilver78

So I'm not the only other person in the world who actually hates the HTC Sense and bloatware? :P

Nope, I think Sense is so incredibly overrated. It looks like "hey, I just followed some photoshop tutorials, I can make gradients now!" :)

Erm, if it's the bloatware you hate, bake a ROM without it, or remove it all after installing.

You can't remove all traces of Sense. Please don't question that statement, you really can't. Plus Sense based roms are missing things Vanilla roms don't.

Edited by joen_

Nope, I think Sense is so incredibly overrated. It looks like "hey, I just followed some photoshop tutorials, I can make gradients now!" :P

You can't remove all traces of Sense. Please don't question that statement, you really can't. Plus Sense based roms are missing things Vanilla roms don't.

Sense isn't just a skin though, Sense if a framework that adds a lot of features that don't appear in Vanilla Android.

• HTC Email client - can set out of office, send meeting requests, has conversation view mode
  • Camera application - Has touch focus, face detection and more settings
  • Contacts - Integrates with social APIs, so you can view peoples social albums via the contacts application. Much better than only seeing their last update and having a link to their profile, which is all vanilla Android offers.
  • HTC Widgets - Scrollable Agenda widget is personally a god send for me, I know LauncherPro has similar, but hey - he openly admits his widgets are based on Sense'.
  • FM Radio
  • and much more....

Stock Android is ugly and lacks functionality versus Android + Sense, this is a fact - if you compare features of a complete shipped, unedited ROM then the Sense once would be more complete.

I don't understand why you've bought a Desire if you dislike Sense and I certainly don't understand the Nexus' One users constantly having digs at Paul about the lack of updates of the Desire ROM ports to their device.

It's gotten that pathetic now that Nexus One users are rating "Paul's App of the day" as one star on the market, because in their comment, they're annoyed about the lack of updates.

Edited by Mekerz

• 2 months later...
Guest Andynoob
Phew..... turns out it was the newest radio causing the prob, flashed an older radio then could update the rom as normal.

Which Radio is recomended with this ROM (Stuck in booit as well)

Sense isn't just a skin though, Sense if a framework that adds a lot of features that don't appear in Vanilla Android.

Gee, I didn't know that...

Just because it adds things doesn't make it better.

• HTC Email client - can set out of office, send meeting requests, has conversation view mode
  • Camera application - Has touch focus, face detection and more settings
  • Contacts - Integrates with social APIs, so you can view peoples social albums via the contacts application. Much better than only seeing their last update and having a link to their profile, which is all vanilla Android offers.
  • HTC Widgets - Scrollable Agenda widget is personally a god send for me, I know LauncherPro has similar, but hey - he openly admits his widgets are based on Sense'.
  • FM Radio
  • and much more....

Stock Android is ugly and lacks functionality versus Android + Sense, this is a fact - if you compare features of a complete shipped, unedited ROM then the Sense once would be more complete.

No, it's your opinion, which does not equal a fact (talking about the looks of stock Android here, imo Sense is ugly). About the "missing functionality", for all the things you mention I either have no need or I can get it through apps in the Market.

I don't understand why you've bought a Desire if you dislike Sense

Because I like Android, and where I live the Nexus one is only available through import, which made the price to be about $150 higher than the Nexus one, not to mention the availability. hardly justifiable don't you think? And there were/are no other comparable devices in terms of form factor that run Vanilla Android either. The market is flooded with Android devices bloated with skins that there is hardly any choice in devices for people that want to run vanilla Android. So try to think past your initial gut reaction before you judge, it's not always a matter of choice.

The point is I paid money to be able to get the custom rom from Modaco only to find that it doesn't function properly and the problem doesn't seem to be adressed. If you can't guarantee a properly functioning rom which you charge money for, you shouldn't be offering it.

and I certainly don't understand the Nexus' One users constantly having digs at Paul about the lack of updates of the Desire ROM ports to their device.

It's gotten that pathetic now that Nexus One users are rating "Paul's App of the day" as one star on the market, because in their comment, they're annoyed about the lack of updates.

And how is that relevant here?

Edited by joen_

• 3 weeks later...
Gee, I didn't know that...

Just because it adds things doesn't make it better.

It does if it adds BETTER things LOL

No, it's your opinion, which does not equal a fact
Does this not also apply to your comments?

(talking about the looks of stock Android here, imo Sense is ugly).
Lots of people (myself included) think Android without sense is ugly.

About the "missing functionality", for all the things you mention I either have no need or I can get it through apps in the Market.
So what is missing from sense that you want/need?

-S

• 1 month later...
It does if it adds BETTER things LOL

Except I don't consider them better.

Eh LOL

Does this not also apply to your comments?

Yes, it does. However, if you bothered to read properly you can clearly see I am not presenting my preferences as fact, whereas the statements I respond to are stated as facts.

Lots of people (myself included) think Android without sense is ugly.

Good for you. I don't. What exactly are you trying to say?

So what is missing from sense that you want/need?

-S

It's not a matter of things missing from Sense that would make me like it. I don't like it. Is that really so impossible to comprehend?

Guest Sanukk
It's not a matter of things missing from Sense that would make me like it. I don't like it. Is that really so impossible to comprehend?

Well if you are totally unable to say what you dislike or why, yes it is rather difficult to comprehend LOL

~S