Android 2.xx on the Streak

Guest Arthur_Daily

Guest Arthur_Daily

I am >this close< to getting a streak but like many, the fact it ships with 1.6 is a worry for me.

Why, i dont know. Ive never had an Android device so i dont 'really' know what i would be missing.

i only know what i read on forums like this & i read a lot of tech blogs.

Dell 'SAY' the streak could get Android 2.xx this Sept 2010, but my question is this..

If Android 2.1 & 2.2 is out there on some devices already, Why isnt it on the streak?

Why didnt dell ship it with 2.xx?

Why cant 'we' just put 2.xx on the streak?

Spec wise can the streak 'handle' the new Android OS, or come sept are we gonna hear from dell saying 'sorry'

This from a frustrated HD2 owner, a bit of hardware im sure could handle 2.xx or prehaps wm7 but stuck on wm6.5 ;)

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Spec wise the streak can handle it definately.

As for why its 1.6 is probably when in development the streak was using donut and due to the frequent android updates that was the latest at the time (weve been hearing about the OS"mini 5" for ages. Because of the dell skin on it and their own apps it was probably easier to complete the OS, release it and then work on updates to the OS.

Although I'm new to android so this is just opinion....others will probably know i etter.

Guest Arthur_Daily

prehaps im thinking of android in the wrong way then?

so, apart from the manufacturers 'skins' & 'apps' is it basically the same 2.2 on a HTC device as is on a Motorola device?

leading me to think, a fresh raw build of froyo could go right on the streak now?

ive a feeling i got this 'android' os all wrong in my head LOL

its either like windows os, where you install and it recognises the cpu and other bits of hw.

or

its needs to be tweaked or changed slightly for each brand of handset, hence the delay?

yes, im an android noob. but an eager one ;)

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Well the whole point of 2.2 on one device looking different to another is right. To make each device specific to a manufacturer they usually skin it. HTC`s 'sense' is a good example, and even the xperia is android I'm told.

As for putting 2.2 on the streak right now it will need some tweaking but I'm sure someone is working on a custom ROM right now, perhaps paul even.

Forgive spelling and stuff, the streaks keyboard doesnt like my thumbs.

Guest rovex

Phone OS's aren't quite like a PC OS. They dont come as an install package that recognises hardware and installs drivers. They need to be set up for a specific device, then flashed. Its like having an OS backup image for your PC. Its pre-configured and ready to go.

The phone hardware is different from device to device and as such one ROM image wont work on another device, even one that is extremely similar (like the Desire and Nexus one). Porting 2.2 to the streak isnt easy because it will have different hardware to the only devices to have it so far (and its only a beta version really anyway). The Dell will need its own drivers and its own setting for memory mapping and all sorts of things. Only Dell are really able to do that fully right now.

Guest DanWilson

I know I'm from the Pulse forum, but since the Streak has the .29 kernel (I think), can't someone port 2.1? It might be hard but at least you have the kernel, we didn't, and we couldn't even get Donut... ;)

Guest THJahar

It's not a great concern at the moment and I'm willing to wait for 2.X.

Primarily the phone is still FAST, and responsive.

(The reason so many people want 2.X is that G1 owners had a far lower spec phone than the streak and so the speed improvements were really needed)

Trust me when I say that the phone will do everything you want it to do and more and you'll not really miss 2.X for the couple of months it'll take to come out.

(It'll definitely come out as the streak is Dell's flagship phone and the upcoming slates/smaller versions all rely upon it being well thought of)

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Aye, coming froman iphone I think the streak is an improvement. Propper multi-tasking, a better web experience, multimedia aswell. My thumbs just keep messing up the keyboard is all.

The whole experience is very snappy and eventually when 2.2 does come itll be an improvement on an already good thing.

Guest courtlandre
Aye, coming froman iphone I think the streak is an improvement. Propper multi-tasking, a better web experience, multimedia aswell. My thumbs just keep messing up the keyboard is all.

The whole experience is very snappy and eventually when 2.2 does come itll be an improvement on an already good thing.

Have you turned on auto-correction and word suggestions? Mine was off originally, but once I turned it on I was able to type much quicker! Still not as fast as the iphone though.

Guest Brantyr
Phone OS's aren't quite like a PC OS. They dont come as an install package that recognises hardware and installs drivers. They need to be set up for a specific device, then flashed. Its like having an OS backup image for your PC. Its pre-configured and ready to go.

The phone hardware is different from device to device and as such one ROM image wont work on another device, even one that is extremely similar (like the Desire and Nexus one). Porting 2.2 to the streak isnt easy because it will have different hardware to the only devices to have it so far (and its only a beta version really anyway). The Dell will need its own drivers and its own setting for memory mapping and all sorts of things. Only Dell are really able to do that fully right now.

This post really nails it. It's mostly a question of getting the right drivers and config for the streak to run stock 2.1 or 2.2. The official update will take a while (e.g. that September figure someone quoted) because dell have to adapt their homescreen skin and apps to the new version of Android and test it but this is a flagship device for them and they will do it.

Since the streak is rooted and capable of running custom roms I'd expect to see decent a 2.1 or 2.2 port before the official dell update though.

As for what 2.1 brings it's a variety of things - better contacts management and integration with facebook, live wallpapers and other shiny, official support for multitouch and more comprehensive APIs for applications. Day to day the only thing you'll really miss are apps which require 2.1 but there are alternatives which run on 1.5/1.6.

Guest yosemite-sam

Im hoping google and co try and steal a march on apple, theyll be launching the new droid on the 23rd which i assume will be running 2.1. but if they then announce that all phones should be getting the 2.2 shortly afterwards this could mean us streakers jump straight to 2.2 aswell!

I wonder if the streak gets released with 1.6 in the us too? when i watched this (about 5 minutes in) the guy repled when asked about flash that it will be supported when the carriers push out froyo.

heres hoping its soon!

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest masterpfa

I'm keeping a close eye on the development of the Dell Streak. I like the form factor the size of the screen and overall the dimensions are fine as a "Tablet".

But due to my experience with HTC Hero and the coming soon (NOT) upgrade to 2.1 I personally will only trust the Nexus 1 to actually deliver updates (being Google's own phone!) rather than ANY other manufacturer, the self set deadlines are never ever met it seems IMHO.

But the Dell Streak definitely has caught my eye

Paul/Devs we await your magic touch ;)

Edited by masterpfa

Guest fracmo2000

im the same cannotwaitforcustomroms ;)

im disliking 1.6, use an hd2 everyday with win 6.5.5 and says its nicer to use, better for video and games...but once this gets 2.2 (or even 2.1) it will be the finest phone around!

are there any devs working on roms?