Who is the Streak made by?

Guest Metoo

Guest Metoo

Often in the mobile (and other consumer goods) you can spot common design traits which lead back to the same factory and designer.

For instance, to smartphone addicts, TechFaithWireless were instantly recognisable once you got to know their shade of cheap grey plastic and component designs that ended up rebadged in ultimately low quality, bug-ridden Ubiquio, MWG and Toshiba smartphones (G series, ugh). And many Palms (Treo 650 and Treo Pro?) were made by HTC. And we all know that opening most domestic white goods in high street showrooms will expose the same components...

So, does anyone know if the Streak is actually manufactured by Dell, or if they use another ODM? I ask because the battery cover and back speaker grill design is a straight lift from the Motorola Milestone/Droid, and the camera lense, LED layout, and LED fresnel design bears a striking resemblance to that Android classic too.

I find it hard to believe that such design details would be so exactly copied outside of China without fear of litigation.

So what's the opinion? Pure coincidence or common ODM? Anybody compared the motherboard, chipset or FCC IDs?

Edited by Metoo

Guest Eric.Druse
Often in the mobile (and other consumer goods) you can spot common design traits which lead back to the same factory and designer.

For instance, to smartphone addicts, TechFaithWireless were instantly recognisable once you got to know their shade of cheap grey plastic and component designs that ended up rebadged in ultimately low quality, bug-ridden Ubiquio, MWG and Toshiba smartphones (G series, ugh). And many Palms (Treo 650 and Treo Pro?) were made by HTC. And we all know that opening most domestic white goods in high street showrooms will expose the same components...

So, does anyone know if the Streak is actually manufactured by Dell, or if they use another ODM? I ask because the battery cover and back speaker grill design is a straight lift from the Motorola Milestone/Droid, and the camera lense, LED layout, and LED fresnel design bears a striking resemblance to that Android classic too.

I find it hard to believe that such design details would be so exactly copied outside of China without fear of litigation.

So what's the opinion? Pure coincidence or common ODM? Anybody compared the motherboard, chipset or FCC IDs?

I'm wondering why you want to know the maker of the Dell streak? Does that help to unlock the streak or sth. else?

Guest Metoo
I'm wondering why you want to know the maker of the Dell streak? Does that help to unlock the streak or sth. else?

Curiousity more than anything, as to why such similarities occur. But yes, it can sometimes help with hacking if you know the ODM.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Eric.Druse
Curiousity more than anything, as to why such similarities occur. But yes, it can sometimes help with hacking if you know the ODM.

Is that so, tell you the trouth. It's not HTC. Do you know "Qisda"? Which was named "BenQ" before. Streak is manufactured in Qisda Suzhou.

Hope it helps.