(any?) USB Plug [Charging your Streak]

Guest GriZlore

Guest GriZlore

Fellow Streakers

I have a charging cable, and the wall socket plug to charge my Dell Streak... however..

With the huge price charged by Dell for official replacements, I have been taking my cable with me, and using several generic/standard USB wall plugs, to charge my Streak. So I just plug my cable into my Streak, then other end into a generic USB plug socket, and away we go ? Easy Right?

;)

This hasnt been very successful... and not all USB plugs work.

I dont wanna spend silly money on an official Dell plug, when I should be able to get one for a couple of £/$/€

Does anyone know the Spec that these plug should conform to ? Voltage / Amps etc etc

ps - I am aware that I can charge it from any USB port on a computer

Regards

GriZlore

Guest deekarma

+1

I bought a cigarette lighter usb charger from halfords and that didn't work.

Very annoying.

I sent an email to a seller on ebay offering an adapter, asking if they had tested the charger with the streak and received no reply.

I now note their caveat to the returns policy which allows them to escape refund on "usb connection issues".

Have dell been smart here?

Guest Wonford

Strange.. I used a few different "plugs" with the lead and they have all been fine including a ipod one, the one from an Experia X1 and the one from a HTC hero. No problem with any of them.

Like you say at least that way I only have to carry the lead around with me!

Guest THJahar

Yeah I've got a cigarette usb adapter. plugged the cable in and nothing...doesn't charge the phone. (It worked fine for my SE X1).

What annoys me even more is that I've got a Belkin window screen mount that works well enough with the Streak, but I can't charge the thing, without paying waaaay over the odds for their car charger.

I'm staring at the car kit which has now gone up even more to £63 !!!!!

This for what is all intents and purposes a suction cup and plastic mount (Can't be more than £8-9 to make) a cable (wouldn't cost more the £3-4 to make) and a usb adapter (£2-3)

So at most the construction costs would be in the region of about £16, and that's being waaaaaaaay generous in costs (If you compare them to generic mounts/cables/adapters from China that cost a third of that price at retail with profit included).

Rip off!!!

Anybody else want to sign a petition and we'll send it to Michael Dell asking him to explain his extortionate pricing?

Guest Metoo
Strange.. I used a few different "plugs" with the lead and they have all been fine including a ipod one, the one from an Experia X1 and the one from a HTC hero. No problem with any of them.

Like you say at least that way I only have to carry the lead around with me!

Sounds like the old standard problem we get on many big screen phones that need USB charging. You need to short the two data (inner) pins together on the USB socket to simulate a mains charger. This puts the device in "battery charge" mode, which allows it to draw up to an Amp, rather than the normal "sync" setting which is limited to 500mA or as low as 150mA.

Of course you need to be confident of your soldering skills and that the USB adapter is rated for supplying over 1A (most aren't). Frying your phone or starting a car fire from a bodge isn't recommended!

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Tried my old iphone socket and some other stuff but no luck on any of em, all it works with is the socket supplied.

Guest rottenmonkey
Tried my old iphone socket and some other stuff but no luck on any of em, all it works with is the socket supplied.

Yeah me too. Have loads of iphone cables , simular just not quite right.

Guest Eric.Druse

Mostly, generic USB charger will not work on Streak, like the iphone. The phone needs to get a signal from socket, like connect to computer, they have a shake hands sync, then start to charge it.

Guest a_friend

I had a Duracell usb car charger which was perfect for the iPhone but did not work on the Dell Streak. so I got a belkin one rated at 1amp and nothing, but the streak did acknowledge the cable was giving a charge but there was no icon in the battery indicator.

Guest a_friend

Just tested charging the tablet from my monitor usb socket and removing the upstream cable from the pc and the streak failed to recognize it when the cable was unplugged from the PC.

Dell your a bunch of money garbing ...........

Guest aikibrown
Fellow Streakers

I have a charging cable, and the wall socket plug to charge my Dell Streak... however..

With the huge price charged by Dell for official replacements, I have been taking my cable with me, and using several generic/standard USB wall plugs, to charge my Streak. So I just plug my cable into my Streak, then other end into a generic USB plug socket, and away we go ? Easy Right?

:lol:

This hasnt been very successful... and not all USB plugs work.

I dont wanna spend silly money on an official Dell plug, when I should be able to get one for a couple of £/$/€

Does anyone know the Spec that these plug should conform to ? Voltage / Amps etc etc

ps - I am aware that I can charge it from any USB port on a computer

Regards

GriZlore

Hi folks. My first posting here.

I can confirm that the universal ciggy USB charger sold in.Tesco works with my streak. I also bought the Krussel magnetic holder for use in the car, which also works well. Both items costing me just under £20. The cheapskate in me refused to pay over £55 for the official dell products!

Oh, and if you already have an HTC hero, desire or Motorola milestone, their wall socket power adaptors also charge the Streak.

I have not found a replacement USB Charge/sync cable anywhere yet (other than from the Dell web shop).

That's my tuppence worth. Hope it helps.

Keep Streaking!

Guest vinokirk

But what about if we forget/loose the cable itself?! I love the Streak but HATE its propietry connector! What idiot Dell are. And because its their very first phone, none of the Chinese manafacturers have got hold of a charger to take apart and copy yet!Dell are really profiteering at the moment...grrrrr

Guest JimiB
But what about if we forget/loose the cable itself?! I love the Streak but HATE its propietry connector! What idiot Dell are. And because its their very first phone, none of the Chinese manafacturers have got hold of a charger to take apart and copy yet!Dell are really profiteering at the moment...grrrrr

I'd suggest Dell are not idiots as their proprietary connector is forcing consumers to buy approved accessories from them, and they make more money. Yes it's annoying and costly to us as consumers but you can't honestly say you'd do things differently if you're in the business of making money.

-jimi

Guest al74

You didn't know about the proprietary connector before purchasing the phone? The only reason I avoided buying the Streak is because of its proprietary connection and I suggest that in the future, you avoid electronics with proprietary connectors. The only way manufacturers will stop with this annoying habit is when consumers take a stand.

Edited by al74

Guest fester61
Not sure whether to try and find this universal tesco effort at lunchtime.

Tesco will take it back if it doesn't work, so you're not going to lose anything but time.

I have 3 different USB adaptors in my car, Belkin, Maplin and something else, none will charge the streak. So 12v to 240v inverter with the dell mains adaptor plugged into that is the only way I can get mine charged in the car.

Guest ukbambammatt
I can confirm that both the wall plug and usb charger work with the Dell Streak, such a relief got a long journey in the morning and looking forward to using google maps navigation :-)

Ive ordered one...let's see what happens.

Guest a_friend
Ive ordered one...let's see what happens.

It does work trust me, I spent money on two that didn't one was made by Duracell the other by Belkin both from Play.com and both rated at 5v 1000mA. I was thinking of braking this one down and putting it in the nicer Duracell case.