The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide

Guest Azurren

Guest eiamhere
I followed the guide, everything fine until the installation of the ROM (flbmod_v1.7.zip) At this point everything stops and this appears:

E: Can't symlink/system/xbin/su

E: Failure at line 135:symlink/system/xbin/su SYSTEM:xbin/su

Installation aborted

and the phone not work.

any advice?

I've been getting this error also. Tried to refrain from posting, did a lot of searching, but ultimately gave in.

Also after wiping data/ factory reset and wipe dalvik cache and get the following error run 'wipe dalvik' via adb!

I've restored my Pilse countless times with a nandroid backup, used z4 app to ensure I still had superuser.

I'll apologise for being a bit thick, I haven't root or done much at all with mobiles before.

These are the steps I took:

U8220 which I updated to 2.1 Uk

Installed drivers and did 'install-recovery-windows' for recovery mode.

Tried to install flb-mod v1.7 Placed in root of sd card (not extracted), I receive the same error as Ciri59

Tried Z4 app to ensure superuser, still the same error.

If I haven't provided enough info. please tell me what I'm missing

Thank you in advance if anyone can help

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bibbly
Checked: U8220

Done. Installed the original 2.1 update from T-Mobile

prepared on the SD-Card.

Done.

Done.

Done. Reports:

USB Fastboot: V0.5

Machine ID: 100700 v0

Build Date: Oct 28 2010, 03:05:51

MSM Id: 16

MSM Version: 2.0

Modem Build Id: 76XXC-6383-SDCBALYM

Serial Number: UNKNOWN

ptn 0 name='boot' start=304 len=20

ptn 1 name='system' start=324 len=680

ptn 2 name='userdata' start=1004 len=842

ptn 3 name='cache' start=1846 len=160

ptn 4 name='recovery' start=2006 len=38

ptn 5 name='misc' start=2044 len=4

Plugged in the device. (PC with ubuntu)

Done.

On terminal window in ubuntu get the following messages:

sending 'recovery' (3768 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

Done, but this is where the process does not go further:

I press POWER+MENU+RED, the device shows first an unreadable mess (as ususal since 2.1 update), then Android screen and then T-Mobile boot screen, ending up by booting with previous version as if nothing has happened. It is only then that I leave the three buttons. I have repeated this operation many times but always with the same result: the device does not enter in Custom Recover Image screen but boots up as usual. Any idea?

I have never rooted the device nor done any other change except the 2.1 update which works normal.

The SD-card is 2 GB, the original one. I tried the operation also without the SD-Card inserted but the result is always the same.

I have exactly the same problem, I'm totally stumped :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jay Man

Hi :D

I'm trying to install my first custom rom (J-Mod Current Version: v1.4 Release Date: 02.10.2010) using the instructions from the first post (thanks btw) and I'm getting an error message when after choosing to flash the zip file:

E:Can't symlink /system/xbin/[

E: Failure at line 9:

symlink busybox SYSTEM:xbin/[

Installation aborted.

I've searched for this problem but all I could find is that the UK 2.1 official update makes the partition too small for the install to work properly but the instructions on the first post say to use the UK 2.1 not the Hungarian one.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by Jay Man

Guest Dér Kristóf
Hi everybody

I have 2 sd cards

1/ a 8g class 2

2/ a 4g class 6

Which one i should choose?

thanks

If you want to install apps to sd card, and/or having swap on it, then choose the faster, the class 6.

Guest UFlapjack

I'm following the guide "Installing a 2.1/2.2 custom rom" and it was going fine until I got to step 7. I've got the system recovery screen but the option 'USB MS Toggle' isn't there. The only ones listed are 'reboot system now' 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' Can anyone give some help please?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lewolf

I stumbled across this guide after a trying to find a fix to a problem Ive been getting.

I followed your install the 2.1 guide which seemed to work but it hangs on the android screen for over half an hour.

So i downloaded the amonrarecovery and so on went to boot the recovery image and get an error message on the recovery screen saying

cant find MISC:

E: Cant mount CACHE:recovery/command

E:Cant find MISC:

E:Cant mount CACHE:recovery/log

E:Cant open CACHE:recovery/log

E:Cant find MISC:

Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks in advance

Edited by lewolf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Per Søgaard Carlsen

Returning to the Official 1.5 Update

The Guide

Step 1: Prepare your phone, backup anything you need to the SD card or computer. Note that everything will be wiped off your phones internal memory.

Step 2: Download the Official 1.5 downgrade file from here:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/community/serv...25490/dload.zip

Step 10: Allow your phone 5+ minutes to boot up for the first time.

Does anybody have a link to the dload file from step 2 ?, the official link doesn't work any longer.

Thank

/Per

• 3 weeks later...
Guest badgir

Checked: U8220

Done. Installed the original 2.1 update from T-Mobile

prepared on the SD-Card.

Done.

Done.

Done. Reports:

USB Fastboot: V0.5

Machine ID: 100700 v0

Build Date: Oct 28 2010, 03:05:51

MSM Id: 16

MSM Version: 2.0

Modem Build Id: 76XXC-6383-SDCBALYM

Serial Number: UNKNOWN

ptn 0 name='boot' start=304 len=20

ptn 1 name='system' start=324 len=680

ptn 2 name='userdata' start=1004 len=842

ptn 3 name='cache' start=1846 len=160

ptn 4 name='recovery' start=2006 len=38

ptn 5 name='misc' start=2044 len=4

Plugged in the device. (PC with ubuntu)

Done.

On terminal window in ubuntu get the following messages:

sending 'recovery' (3768 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

Done, but this is where the process does not go further:

I press POWER+MENU+RED, the device shows first an unreadable mess (as ususal since 2.1 update), then Android screen and then T-Mobile boot screen, ending up by booting with previous version as if nothing has happened. It is only then that I leave the three buttons. I have repeated this operation many times but always with the same result: the device does not enter in Custom Recover Image screen but boots up as usual. Any idea?

I have never rooted the device nor done any other change except the 2.1 update which works normal.

The SD-card is 2 GB, the original one. I tried the operation also without the SD-Card inserted but the result is always the same.

Finally I could find a simple solution:

The POWER + MENU + RED did not work for me. Instead I pushed MENU+RED+POWER and the AmonRa screen comes up. So the order of the buttons to press is very important, POWER must be the last!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pfmboidi

Same problem here, the huawei website does not host the 1.5 anymore, anybody happens to still have it or know of another place where to find it?

Does anybody have a link to the dload file from step 2 ?, the official link doesn't work any longer.

Thank

/Per

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest pace_mk

Installing A 2.1 / 2.2 Custom Rom

Please note that this portion of the Guide is only for those using a T-Mobile Pulse (U8220). This will NOT work for those using a U8320 or a U8220-6. Please check the label located under the battery to determine your version

You must have the Official 2.1 update installed BEFORE attempting to install a 2.1 custom rom. Please follow the guide [here]

Difficulty Level

2/5 (easy)

Known Bugs

The phone is prone to freezes when using apps that use both Data and CPU in bursts. Fixed on FLB mod / official

Such as: Facebook, Market, Browser

Bluetooth may not work correctly with some custom roms

Text messages aren't sending / receving properly Fixed with SWAP

What you will need:

• A Pulse
    A Micro SD Card (Recommended to have at least 1gb free space)
    A Micro USB Cable or An Micro SD Card Reader

A Word of Caution

Please note that installing this update will wipe everything off your phone. (Contacts, messages, apps etc.) Please ensure that you back them up if required. Your SD card will not be wiped before, during or after the update process.

Also please refer to the previous warning:

Custom Rom Choices

Flibblesan's FLB MOD 1:

Espresso Style, Eclair 2.1

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-android-2-1/

Direct Link: http://www.flibblesa...flbmod_v1.7.zip

Direct Link With Overclock: http://www.flibblesa...bmod_v1.7oc.zip

Flibblesan's FLB MOD 2: [ALPHA]Credits to Tom G and the 2.2 DEV team!

True Vanilla, Froyo 2.2

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-froyo-testing/

Direct Link: http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/flbmod/fro..._v2.0alpha3.zip

Google Apps: http://mirror.kanged.net/gapps/ (Download Gapps Mdpi Original / tiny)

JohnPorter's J-Mod:

Espresso Style

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...lse-custom-rom/

Direct Link: http://dl.dropbox.co.../j-mod-v1.4.zip

Tom G's CyanogenMod:

Cyanogen 2.2. If you can live with what's lacking this is the rom for you!

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...port-for-pulse/

Direct Link: Please follow the guide on Tom G's thread

Note: This rom has to be flashed via "Clockwork Recovery, Not AMONRAR (Custom recovery Image)

The Guide

Step 1: Download the "Custom Recover Image"

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...gl5iiciea41vu4t

Step 2: Extract the ZIP anywhere on your computer and navigate into the "1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery" folder

Step 3: Power Off your device. Hold down the POWER + RED (End call) + VOLUME DOWN keys until a blue screen appears

Step 4: Plug your device into your computer and wait for the drivers to be installed (Windows Only)

If your computer does not find the necessary drivers your can't proceed. Please Manually locate the new drivers from the "PC Suite" that was included within the HU 2.1 update ZIP

http://www.t-mobile.hu/static/szoftverek/t...lse_21_B815.zip

Step 5: Open the "install-recovery-windows.bat" (Windows) or the "install-recovery-mac.sh" (Mac) or the "install-recovery-linux.sh" (Linux)

This will open and close very quickly. There is no visible indication that anything has happened on either the computer or the phone. If you get a "waiting for device" or an error refer to the FAQ [here]

Step 6: Unplug your device, remove and re-insert the battery. Press and Hold down: "POWER + MENU + RED (End call) Keys until the "Custom recover image" screen appears

It may appear after the origonal Tmobile boot or between the android screen. If not remove the battery and try again.

Note: When using the Custom Recovery image use the Trackball to move up / down and press to select. Use the back button to go back.

Step 7: Select the Option "USB MS Toggle" and plug your phone into your computer. Download a Custom ROM of your choice and place the ENTIRE ZIP (Do not extract it) onto the root of your SD card.

By "Root" I mean do not place the file in any subfolders

Step 8: Return to the Custom Recover Main menu and select the "Backup/Restore" option. Choose a standard nandroid backup and let it run it's course

Step 9: Return to the Custom Recover Main menu and select the "Wipe" option. Choose the First option (Factory reset) and confirm.

Step 10: Return to the Custom Recover Main menu abd select the "Flash ZIP from SDCard". Select the custom rom you wish to flash, confirm and wait.

Optional Steps For A2SD / SWAP

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU USE SWAP! Please follow these additional steps [here]

If you follow the above steps you have now finished this guide

Step 11: Select the first option in the Custom Recover Menu to Reboot your device. The first boot may take a while.

Guest pace_mk

I heave a problem when i install MOD

Writing BOOT:...

E;Error finishing the BOOT:

E:Failure error in line 403:

write_raw_image PACKAGE:BOOT.IMAGE

BOOT:

Installation aborted.

PLEASE HELLP :(

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with cyanogenmod and with the some of the 2.1 custom rom. I try put boot.img from 2.1oscillation to zip of the cm6.1 and I could install but.....network not worked and the phone was reboot.

So...please somebody help us to solve that problem if it could be solved....I'am totally crazy because of that

I heave a problem when i install MOD

Writing BOOT:...

E;Error finishing the BOOT:

E:Failure error in line 403:

write_raw_image PACKAGE:BOOT.IMAGE

BOOT:

Installation aborted.

PLEASE HELLP :(

• 3 months later...
Guest bobot1

Hi,

I'm new here, and I don't know is this the right place for this question....

I installed amonrarecovery and started android sysrem recovery.... And there is a problem.

I can use up/down volume key in this menu, but i'cant choose anything. green-key doesn't do anything :(

• 3 months later...
Guest twics

Hi peeps

Iv just dug my old u8220 out of a bag of old phones and decided to restore it back to Official 1.5 downgrade, problem is I was able to download the December Update but the link to the official 1.5 is broken, id be most greatfull if someone could post a copy if they have one or pm me a copy.

Thanks in advance. :)