The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide

Guest Azurren

Guest WallOfSound

First of all thanks for this guide, it's brilliant. It was simple enough that even a luddite like me could follow. After using the stock rom since I bought my pulse ages ago I finally got round to fiddling with it in the last couple of days. I stuck Paul's 1.7 vanilla rom on it, works fine no problems but I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

1. What does the app quickloader actually do? I'm too scared to play with it incase I break my phone somehow, specifically what are the recovery and bootloader options for?

2. Same question for superuser permission.

3. For some reason I thought a custum rom would let you remove any apps you didn't want that were in the rom itself instead of just stuff you downloaded from the market, I seem to have been wrong about that. How easy is it to remove apps like those roadsync things from the rom before you load it on your phone?

I can find loads of methods through google. Stuff like this:

http://www.askabouthugo.com/mobile-technol...rom-custom-rom/

seem simple enough but again I'm worried about doing something stupid just through lack of knowledge. Will the method on that blog work okay in anyone's opinion?

Guest Azurren
First of all thanks for this guide, it's brilliant. It was simple enough that even a luddite like me could follow. After using the stock rom since I bought my pulse ages ago I finally got round to fiddling with it in the last couple of days. I stuck Paul's 1.7 vanilla rom on it, works fine no problems but I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

1. What does the app quickloader actually do? I'm too scared to play with it incase I break my phone somehow, specifically what are the recovery and bootloader options for?

2. Same question for superuser permission.

3. For some reason I thought a custum rom would let you remove any apps you didn't want that were in the rom itself instead of just stuff you downloaded from the market, I seem to have been wrong about that. How easy is it to remove apps like those roadsync things from the rom before you load it on your phone?

I can find loads of methods through google. Stuff like this:

http://www.askabouthugo.com/mobile-technol...rom-custom-rom/

seem simple enough but again I'm worried about doing something stupid just through lack of knowledge. Will the method on that blog work okay in anyone's opinion?

It's been a while since I've used Pauls old 1.7 :huh:

Quickloader is a way of rebooting your phone into the different options (Instead of having to manually press the keys while booting)

Superuser Permission is what manages root. If an app requests root permissions superuser asks if you wish to allow / deny the request.

As for removing Roadsync.. Can't you just go into settings / manage apps and just uninstall it? (Sorry, it has been a while)

Guest WallOfSound

Cheers for quick reply.

Nah you can't remove roadsync the obvious way. Like I said, all the applications that were on the rom when I installed it have no option to uninstall from within the settings, it's going to require fiddling around somehow.

p.s. Yeah I know Paul's rom is old but it works, the 2.1 stock rom that tmobile UK used to have on their side was slow and I missed messages with it so this is much better :huh:

edit: Had a go using the method above last night and so far it seems to have worked. Removed about a dozen apps from the rom, installed it on phone and they've gone, no issues so far.

Edited by WallOfSound

First, thanks for writing this guide, really helpful in removing the fear factor in upgrading to a custom ROM.

One small thing - I tried to install the FLB rom with Apps2sd at the same time (using the 'Optional Step For AppsToSD'). However, the optional step ends up reformatting and repartitioning your SD card. Therefore when you return to the main script at step 10, your SD card has been wiped and no longer contains the FLB rom you copied to it in step 7.

Perhaps move step 7 down to after the 'Optional Step For AppsToSD' ?

Anyway I simply re-copied the ROM and all went fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlinkyBob

Step 10: Return to the Custom Recover Main menu abd select the "Flash ZIP from SDCard". Select the custom rom you wish to flash, confirm and wait.

Optional Steps For A2SD / SWAP

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU USE SWAP! Please follow these additional steps [here]

If you follow the above steps you have now finished this guide

Step 11: Select the first option in the Custom Recover Menu to Reboot your device. The first boot may take a while.

When I Click on the link above, I always come to the modaco starting page? is this normal?

thx

blinky

When I Click on the link above, I always come to the modaco starting page? is this normal?

thx

blinky

I have corrected the links

(I'm really not sure what caused this)

Thanks

Update:

After further testing with the tweaks here SWAP with A2SD can be used perfectly on a Class 4 card :lol:

Class 2 cards should still keep away

Swapper2 users should also avoid this. Use A2SD-SWAP if you want to use A2SD+SWAP

You can re-enable A2SD through the Terminal Emulator without having to wipe / re-flash anything

Edited by Azurren

Guest JohnPorter
32mb will return your phone to it's former glory, allowing some multitasking and removing the SmS bug. (Recommended for class 2 cards)

64mb is plenty! You will experience slow-downs if you choose more. (Recommended for Class 2 cards without A2SD and Class 4 / 6 cards with A2SD)

128mb you will be able to multitask and every app will stay in RAM (Recommended for Class 6 cards without A2SD)

can i ask how to got to these recommendations please?

can i ask how to got to these recommendations please?

If you mean how did I get those recommendations I tested each one on my Class 4 and Class 2 SD card.

I don't have a Class 6 so I just made an educated guess that it would be able to handle the next stage :lol:

Guest MikeRame
Update:

After further testing with the tweaks here SWAP with A2SD can be used perfectly on a Class 4 card :)

Class 2 cards should still keep away

Swapper2 users should also avoid this. Use A2SD-SWAP if you want to use A2SD+SWAP

You can re-enable A2SD through the Terminal Emulator without having to wipe / re-flash anything

Please provide exact parameters (swap size, which tweks etc.) Thanks in advance :lol:

Guest MikeRame
They are all in the step-by-step A2SD / SWAP Guide :lol:

Yes, I know, I was asking if you still use 64MB woth the class4 A2SD+SWAP or just 32, but I can see the update now. Thank you :)

I'm looking for someone who can give me further instructions for rooting/flashing my U8220 (Pulse) by using a Mac (OSX).

I installed the December Update on my Pulse, after that i installed the official 2.1 Android Version (T-Mobile UK).

When i try to install Amonra i start my phone which is plugged into the Mac via USB with > power, red button, vol down <.

I get a blue screen with white text on it saying: USB FastBoot: V0.5, Machine ID: bla, Build Date, etc.. how do i install the recovery thing now?

I downloaded 1.5.2. Pulse Amonra Recovery and unzipped it. I dragged the recovery file for the mac into the terminal and pressed ENTER.

This is what comes out: "h: line 1: ./fastboot-mac: No such file or directory", nothing happens on my PULSE which is still plugged into the Mac.

Anyone can help me? Do i have to install Superboot first? If so, how to on a Mac?

Greetings

/e:

got it: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...on-your-device/ for everyone who is a macfag, too :lol:

Edited by frNNz

1st sorry for double post.

after installing amonra and making a backup (phew) and then installing FLB mod 1.6a i got the process com.android.phone crashing several times... i had to backup to my official 2.1 android version.. :/ anyone got a solution for that? cuz i liked flb and it looked much better... DIDNT install SWAP/APP2SD

1st sorry for double post.

after installing amonra and making a backup (phew) and then installing FLB mod 1.6a i got the process com.android.phone crashing several times... i had to backup to my official 2.1 android version.. :/ anyone got a solution for that? cuz i liked flb and it looked much better... DIDNT install SWAP/APP2SD

Did you "Wipe" before flashing the FLB mod? :lol:

Wipe then flash it again. Should solve it

It's entirely normal to have it crash on boot

Edited by Azurren

Did you "Wipe" before flashing the FLB mod? :lol:

Wipe then flash it again. Should solve it

It's entirely normal to have it crash on boot

yip, i did wipe the phone (factory reset) but i didnt wipe the sd card however this isnt needed, i think. the phone didnt crash on boot but crashed after booting, saying that the process com.android.phone crashed/stopped. before that the phone went well with flb mod for the first boot it only seemed to crash sometimes (homescreen "process(?)" restarted)

yip, i did wipe the phone (factory reset) but i didnt wipe the sd card however this isnt needed, i think. the phone didnt crash on boot but crashed after booting, saying that the process com.android.phone crashed/stopped. before that the phone went well with flb mod for the first boot it only seemed to crash sometimes (homescreen "process(?)" restarted)

Hmmm..

What 2.1 version are you using? The later FLB mods where built under the official UK release, but that shouldn't make a difference :lol:

Hmmm..

What 2.1 version are you using? The later FLB mods where built under the official UK release, but that shouldn't make a difference :lol:

i use the official 2.1 UK release which is working fine. After googling for my problem i found a site where a guy complains about the same problem of com.android.phone crashing (not PULSE but Desire). He says that the process crashes when the phone is trying to import the contacts on the SIM. Could be the same here... although i didnt even open the contacts app. But i think the phone is doing SIM contact import in the background. Should i try an older FLB mod than 1.6a? If so, which one should i choose? Or is it a problem that i installed Amonra Recovery instead of the Clockwork thing (i think its called sth like that)?

i use the official 2.1 UK release which is working fine. After googling for my problem i found a site where a guy complains about the same problem of com.android.phone crashing (not PULSE but Desire). He says that the process crashes when the phone is trying to import the contacts on the SIM. Could be the same here... although i didnt even open the contacts app. But i think the phone is doing SIM contact import in the background. Should i try an older FLB mod than 1.6a? If so, which one should i choose? Or is it a problem that i installed Amonra Recovery instead of the Clockwork thing (i think its called sth like that)?

It's not a recovery issue, it maybe a sim issue but.. (Try starting the phone without a sim to find out :lol:)

Honestly I don't have a clue why it isn't working.. You could try going back to the last version on FLB or you could just re-flash 2.1, then recovery then FLB mod. That should solve it.

i just wiped the phone again after having recovered the 2.1 UK official android backup. then i flashed FLB 1.6a again. it worked super fine after the reboot. when i rebooted again the error com.android.phone popped up. there were no contacts anymore although they were successfully imported (from SIM) and shown after the installation reboot.

i'll just stick to official 2.1 UK now, i guess :/