Mobile Signal Widget?

Guest T_r_i_s

Tried it - really good

Like the android face in it too.

Thanks.

what android face?

i get a rather plain set of bars (beautifully executed though)

Guest maskaler
what android face?

i get a rather plain set of bars (beautifully executed though)

It's nice, though it says 3G when the native indicator says H?

ah yeah i just noticed it now

must'nt have had enough signal when i installed

Guest Loconinja

What device are you running it on and which network?

The Android 1.6 Telephony API cannot detect the difference between 3G or HSDPA. My Streak (1.6) never displays H in the standard notification area even though I know it has an HSDPA signal sometimes.

Version 0.2 and above of the widget can detect if it is running on Android 2.1 and use the later Telephony API which does detect HSDPA. So, on a phone running Eclair, the widget should be showing H when connected.

I only have my Streak to test on, and the emulator cannot spoof signal strength, so I am relying on feedback to perfect the widget! Keep it coming guys, as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Guest nobnut
Keep it coming guys, as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Hi, on 1.6 (Streak), works like a charm... on 2.1 (Desire), works like a goodun but doesn't display carrier name, in my case O2 UK.

Just for your info.

PS Mighty fine work, keep it up. When you launch it on Market, charge for it, right now you have no direct competition.

Guest maskaler
What device are you running it on and which network?

The Android 1.6 Telephony API cannot detect the difference between 3G or HSDPA. My Streak (1.6) never displays H in the standard notification area even though I know it has an HSDPA signal sometimes.

Version 0.2 and above of the widget can detect if it is running on Android 2.1 and use the later Telephony API which does detect HSDPA. So, on a phone running Eclair, the widget should be showing H when connected.

I only have my Streak to test on, and the emulator cannot spoof signal strength, so I am relying on feedback to perfect the widget! Keep it coming guys, as much detail as possible. Thanks!

On my Streak, in Brighton and using O2. Brighton has 100% HSDPA coverage and my phone generally shows H in Brighton, so I'm not sure why yours doesn't.

*edit* see attached showing H

post-714958-1280324151_thumb.jpg

Edited by maskaler

Guest T_r_i_s
On my Streak, in Brighton and using O2. Brighton has 100% HSDPA coverage and my phone generally shows H in Brighton, so I'm not sure why yours doesn't.

*edit* see attached showing H

+1

Dell Streak Android 1.6 in Altrincham on O2. I get a H in the native task bar, but only a 3g in this widget.

Apart from that - fantastic job! Cheers

Guest nicmel

I signed up here just for this widget, been looking for something similar for a while now. I have taken 2 screen shots of me using it, as there are 2 issues - not sure if you are aware of them or not.

1st issue is that my carrier is not shown. It displays as "(N/A)".

2nd issue is that when I am in a low coverage are and only have Emergency Calls access the "-XXdBm" text is chopped in half, horizontally.

If you'd like screen shots of these, I'll try to figure out how to attach them to posts on this forum, let me know.

I do have a small request, but I think you'll be working on this in future releases anyways. I'd like to be able to stretch the widget out (ideally I'd use 1 row and have it 2 columns wide). In terms of customisation, the way the widget looks right now is perfect for me but perhaps others might like the option of changing the colour scheme, or even having different graphical representations of their signal? Like I say, not for me since I use a rather minimalistic (mostly black and white) theme, but horses for courses etc.

Thank you very much for this widget, it's great :(

Guest athurdent

Great widget, I have been looking for something like that for a long time now!

Right now, it does not display my carrier, it only shows (N/A). It should say "vodafone.de", which seems a bit long to me to fit though. If it helps, I'm on a stock HTC Desire using Froyo.

It would be nice if we had the option to show the mobile connection type (GSM / 3G / HSDPA / whatever) if Wifi is on, too.

Also an option for animated vs. non-animated connection type display would be nice.

I second nobnut's opinion, you should really charge for the widget when you put it on the market :)

Guest eventnick

Hello,

Thank you for making this widget, I've been waiting for one for a long time. There's a small display problem on the Motorola Droid... I have attached a screenshot which should clarify my issue. Any possibility of a fix?

Running 2.2 FYI.

Thanks so much,

E.

le8vV.jpg

Edited by eventnick

Guest saltorio

Wonderful widget. Works beautifully on my rooted X10 running ADW.Launcher in a 5-row layout.

You need to get this on the market. There's a distinct lack of signal strength reporting apps.

Which reminds me: could you make such an app that displays the DBM numerically in as a notification icon?

Guest Loconinja

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys. It is much appreciated. I have noted all the issues and I have a list of my own too. I am on holiday at the moment, but will be making a new version on my return.

Guest Warpedflash
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys. It is much appreciated. I have noted all the issues and I have a list of my own too. I am on holiday at the moment, but will be making a new version on my return.

Sweet you going to put this on the market any time soon? Or is it there and im missing it somehow?

Guest maskaler
Sweet you going to put this on the market any time soon? Or is it there and im missing it somehow?

A link to the apk is further back in this thread somewhere mate.

Guest SE-Freund

wow! thats the widget i'm looking for... great work!

but one question! is there a chance to change the backround? i would like to change it to transparency! and is it possible to give the cell strength bars a color such as light green? i think thats more beautiful...

if you don't support this feature, can you tell me how can i do this by my self?

best regards

se-freund

Edited by SE-Freund

Guest chrismanster
The only issue I have noticed is that it will consistently "freeze" and stop receiving updates. The only way I can get it to refresh is to remove the widget and re-add it. I am also using ADW.launcher.

I believe this was because of my task killer. I was using Advanced Task Killer, which didn't show this widget as an option to ignore. I switched to TaskPanel and I was able to ignore killing this widget. Since then I have not had any freezing issues since. I love this widget, thanks for all your hard work.

UPDATE: I take this back, it did eventually freeze again.

Edited by chrismanster

Guest chrismanster

This is only moderately relevant. What are the different network types and their corresponding symbols?

Ex:

Edge -> E

GPRS -> G

Thanks.

Guest Loconinja

I am back on this full time now; hoping to upload to the market this week.

I have taken note of all the issues and will attempt to fix as many as I can.

Edited by Loconinja

Guest darkshuffle

Just wondering whether the widget is still in developement?

This is exactly what I have been looking for, something that looks good and allows me to get rid of the notification bar once and for all.

Works very well, except the fact it is not showing my network (Orange UK) just displays (N/A)

I was also wondering how difficult it would be to add some customisation options, like 2x1 widget, no smileys, no wifi indicator, no dBm writing, clear background and coloured bars. Things like that, I'm not sure how difficult these are to implement so I apologise if I'm asking something that is not possible.

Thank you anyway, as I said exactly what I wanted and is working like a dream so far

Guest Loconinja

All the features mentioned (and a few more) are planned for a Pro version which I hope to charge a few pence for on the market. At the moment, I am concentrating on getting the basic version on the market as soon as possible.

Current issues which I am fixing first are:

• Widget does not scale correctly on some devices/resolutions.
    Long network provider names cause text to wrap.
    If the update service gets killed (e.g. by a task killer app) then the widget stops updating.

Guest Spike8585

I just bought an ATT version, and the 'unknown source' option is not listed. Read that they disabled that function.

Do I have to wait until you put it on the Market?

Is there a better way to install it, rather than using the SideLoad Wonder Machine, as I cannot get it to detect my device?