Mobile Signal Widget?

Guest T_r_i_s

Guest Loconinja
Hello,

Thank you for making this widget, I've been waiting for one for a long time. There's a small display problem on the Motorola Droid... I have attached a screenshot which should clarify my issue. Any possibility of a fix?

Running 2.2 FYI.

Thanks so much,

E.

le8vV.jpg

This one is puzzling, as I display the short version of the operator name which should be 8 characters max. :huh:

Guest wrightc88
I just bought an ATT version, and the 'unknown source' option is not listed. Read that they disabled that function.

Do I have to wait until you put it on the Market?

Is there a better way to install it, rather than using the SideLoad Wonder Machine, as I cannot get it to detect my device?

1. Dial *#*#307#*#* on your Streak. Other than a quick flash on the screen, it will look like nothing has happened.

2. Go to your app drawer/program menu and tap a new icon labeled EMList. If the icon is not there, turn off the Streak. It should be there when you turn it on again.

3. Scroll to the bottom and tap app_security.

4. Tap update unknown resource property to enable it.

That's it!

To confirm that it worked, press the Home button followed by Menu -> Settings -> Applications. You should now see the "Unknown sources" option. Now you can download and install any 1.6-compatible app you find with ease!

To uninstall EMList, dial *#*#308#*#* on your Streak.

Guest Spike8585
1. Dial *#*#307#*#* on your Streak. Other than a quick flash on the screen, it will look like nothing has happened.

2. Go to your app drawer/program menu and tap a new icon labeled EMList. If the icon is not there, turn off the Streak. It should be there when you turn it on again.

3. Scroll to the bottom and tap app_security.

4. Tap update unknown resource property to enable it.

That's it!

To confirm that it worked, press the Home button followed by Menu -> Settings -> Applications. You should now see the "Unknown sources" option. Now you can download and install any 1.6-compatible app you find with ease!

To uninstall EMList, dial *#*#308#*#* on your Streak.

WOW! You are awesome!!!

Much appreciated.

I was so disappointed when I saw that I couldn't do it. I was going to sideload the one-click rooting method to root then change roms.

Just did this and rooted in less than 30 seconds.

I am impressed!

Thanks again!

Guest saltorio
No, it's not. What a rip off, eh? Mine is going on the market tomorrow.

Yeah, that's BS. Couldn't even bother to reskin it!

Would love to have the option to disable the background colour on the widget though (as the ripoff version has done). Still wanting a notification bar icon version, so I can see the signal level no matter what app I'm in.

I look forward to your market release. I recommend using a different name than "Signal Strength Widget", as that's now taken and you don't want people to get confused. I'd just call it "Signal Strength", or something like that.

Guest eventnick
This one is puzzling, as I display the short version of the operator name which should be 8 characters max. :huh:

Hey there's another issue that I didnt notice due to the scaling issues..but it appears the widget reports signal strength to be 85 dBm which is not accurate since i can check the RSS in the OS to often be much less .. as low as 120 dBm the max sensitivity of the droid

;)

edit, confirmed. on the droid, it reports the signal strength to be permanetnly 85 dbm... 2.2 froyo

Edited by eventnick

Guest chopper70

I have just flaggd that rip off app as inappropriate on app market and sent the thief an email callng him as much. Perhaps some other members could do the same and support Loconinja for his cool free app

Guest Loconinja

I have already received 2 comments along the lines of: "This widget doesn't show anything different to the status bar." and giving a rating of one star.

What can you do, eh? I wonder if they're posting the same thing about the hundreds of battery widget apps? :huh:

Edited by Loconinja

Guest eventnick
I have already received 2 comments along the lines of: "This widget doesn't show anything different to the status bar." and giving a rating of one star.

What can you do, eh? I wonder if they're posting the same thing about the hundreds of battery widget apps? :huh:

Any idea why it might be displaying 85 dBm permanently?

Guest Loconinja
Any idea why it might be displaying 85 dBm permanently?

If it gets stuck, it is usually because the update service has been killed. Removing the widget and re-adding it should restore it.

Guest eventnick
If it gets stuck, it is usually because the update service has been killed. Removing the widget and re-adding it should restore it.

Even after removing the widget, stopping the service, readding the widget, it sill only displays 85 dbm. any other ideas?

Guest T_r_i_s

Looking forward to downloading latest version soon Loco... on holiday in Wales and no 02 signal/wifi :huh:

(using Blackberry at the moment)

I'm sure it will be great!!

Guest Loconinja
Have stuck on ADW launcher which is great, and have removed the task bar thing from the top.

Does anyone know of an app that allows you to display mobile signal type/strength as a widget on the home screen? It's the only thing I look at/have use for on the task bar... I have spent hours Googling but to no avail.

Thanks

According to a comment I have received on the market, my widget works with Widget Locker.

Guest Loconinja
Even after removing the widget, stopping the service, readding the widget, it sill only displays 85 dbm. any other ideas?

I have managed to reproduce this, so a fix is on the way (hopefully!).

Guest clickspace

I am on giffgaff but the widget shows O2-UK, is there any way to change that?

I'm guessing that the widget displays the network that is shown in the 'settings > about phone > status'

How does giffgaff show up on the 'Recent Applications' button on the status bar?

Guest Loconinja
I am on giffgaff but the widget shows O2-UK, is there any way to change that?

I'm guessing that the widget displays the network that is shown in the 'settings > about phone > status'

How does giffgaff show up on the 'Recent Applications' button on the status bar?

I've got a giffgaff SIM, so I'll give it a try. My widget read the operator name from the Android telephony API, which returns O2. I presume the name in the status bar must come from the SIM, rather than the network.

• 2 weeks later...

Great widget but would really like to see a Notification bar icon that just shows, H, 3G, E, G.

Stock Nexus ROM's don't show this and I'd happily pay for the pro version to get this back after rolling back form Cyanogen.

Nice Widget so far.

• 4 months later...
Guest NackteElfe
Great widget but would really like to see a Notification bar icon that just shows, H, 3G, E, G.

Stock Nexus ROM's don't show this and I'd happily pay for the pro version to get this back after rolling back form Cyanogen.

Nice Widget so far.

Same here, Right now i am getting to much information. For me it would be fine to just see if I am connected to H, 3G, E or W-Lan

Guest 00roberto00
Have stuck on ADW launcher which is great, and have removed the task bar thing from the top.

Does anyone know of an app that allows you to display mobile signal type/strength as a widget on the home screen? It's the only thing I look at/have use for on the task bar... I have spent hours Googling but to no avail.

Thanks

i use phono from the market

Guest anthscorner

Just bought the full version from the market, very good app and thanks.

One minor point, the widget shows T-Mobile instead of Virgin (and before loads of people respond, yes I know Virgin use the T-Mobile network but they have different gateway servers.).

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Anthony.

Guest Loconinja

Thanks for the feedback (and the nice comment in the Market!).

I have lots of requests for new features, but the day job is getting in the way (and pays more, unfortunately).

As for the Virgin/T-Mobile thing, I report what comes from the API, which is T-Mobile. I am not sure how the standard notification knows it is Virgin. I also tested this with GiffGaff/O2. My widget displays O2, but the phone knows it is GiffGaff.