[HOWTO] Flash a Permanent Recovery Image with UnrEVOked

Guest 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys
Just installed this by following your guide on Windows 7 x64, no problems at all, fantastic guide!!

I have one question though, if I press "Reboot Into Recovery" from within Rom Manager, will it boot into fake-flash or my newly flashed unrEVOked recovery?

unrEVOked :lol:

Guest tatey2457
unrEVOked :lol:

I think that actually depends on if you reinstall fakeflash from within rom manager...I did and it took me to the older version..not the one I flashed, although the flashed version boots if I go direct to recovery

Guest dkodr

Unfortunately ClockworkMod cannot mount sd-ext. Trying to repartition my SD card - hope it helps.

Edited by dkodr

Guest tatey2457
i still dont see any advantage for this. as it give same option as located on SD root (as update.zip)

Same options yes. But it saves a bit of messing about if you're not using rom manager plus you don't need to keep the update.zip on your sd card

Guest StuMcBill

Just tried a Nandroid with this and I cannot seem to mount or backup SD-EXT.

I *think* is is EXT3, but I am not 100% sure.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Guest Frankish
Just tried a Nandroid with this and I cannot seem to mount or backup SD-EXT.

I *think* is is EXT3, but I am not 100% sure.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Yeah...check if it is ext3. I use "adb shell" then "parted /dev/block/mmcblk0" then "print" and it will say what filesystem your ext partition is. If you partitioned with Clockwork it will be ext2 and it will not be able to read, mount or backup it.

Edited by Frankish

Guest StuMcBill
Yeah...check if it is ext3. I use "adb shell" then "parted /dev/block/mmvblk0" then "print" and it will say what filesystem your ext partition is. If you partitioned with Clockwork it will be ext2 and it will not be able to read, mount or backup it.

So do I run

adb shell

parted /dev/block/mmvblk0

print

or

adb shell parted /dev/block/mmvblk0 print ??

I just booted to 2.0.1.4 via Rom Manager and that can mount and backup my SD-EXT, however, if I turn off, hold Vol-Dn and press power, and go to recovery, it loads 2.0.1.6 and I cannot backup SD-EXT?

Is there anyway I can convert EXT2 to EXT3 without losing my data?

Guest Frankish

Between each set of "these" is a separate command. I use them with the amsghk mod recovery. I run it then open a new cmd window.

You will have to cd to the right directory. Mine would be "cd c:\an\root\am"

"adb shell"

"parted /dev/block/mmcblk0" (it's a mmc not mmv like i posted above doh.)

"print"

And yeah you can upgrade to ext3 without losing any data.

Using the recovery i said above i run,

"adb shell"

"sdparted -ufs ext3 -s"

Then once it's done it will show you it's upgraded. No files lost.

Guest StuMcBill
Between each set of "these" is a separate command. I use them with the amsghk mod recovery. I run it then open a new cmd window.

You will have to cd to the right directory. Mine would be "cd c:\an\root\am"

"adb shell"

"parted /dev/block/mmcblk0" (it's a mmc not mmv like i posted above doh.)

"print"

And yeah you can upgrade to ext3 without losing any data.

Using the recovery i said above i run,

"adb shell"

"sdparted -ufs ext3 -s"

Then once it's done it will show you it's upgraded. No files lost.

I have just booted into Ubuntu to check my SD card. My Apps2SD partition is EXT3 already.

And when I ran the above commands, it said that it couldn't find /dev/block/mmcblk0 (although when I try and mount in recovery it is mmcblk0p2, I have tried that too, but still same result).

Any ideas?

Edit

should it be sdparted /dev/block/mmcblk0 ?

Edited by StuMcBill

Guest StuMcBill

Ok, I definitely have an ext3 partition on my SD card, checked using Gparted in Ubuntu, and unrEVOked recovery 2.0.1.6 cannot mount and / or backup SD-ext.

Guest StuMcBill
Is your ext partition before or after the fat32.

Needs to be fat32 first then ext after it.

Yeah, its fat32 first and ext3 afterwards.

It works in 2.0.1.4 loaded through ROM Manager though, which is weird.

Do you think a full format and re-partition of the SD card to fat32 and ext3 would help?

Also is ext3 or ext4 better to use?

Thanks

Stewart

Guest afiorillo

Just flashed, everything seems OK. At the first attempt launching the recovery after flash I was stuck at the white HTC screen; pulled the battery, a second retry succeeded.

Now I can delete update.zip from my sdcard. Just missing sdcard partitioning from recovery.

Guest Smilgs

Yes. In XDA forums on the same topic they said that 2.1.0.6 version of recovery has an issue. Downgrading to the first version of unrEVOked fixes the issue - I can not verify as can not download v1.

Anyone has a copy? Thanks.

Anyone have any ideas why I cannot mount and / or back up my EXT3 partition while using unrEVOked recovery?

Guest StuMcBill
Yes. In XDA forums on the same topic they said that 2.1.0.6 version of recovery has an issue. Downgrading to the first version of unrEVOked fixes the issue - I can not verify as can not download v1.

Anyone has a copy? Thanks.

I loaded version 2.0.1.0 using this and it backs up my SD-EXT no probs.

I tried to attach V1, but for some reason it will not allow me to?

Edited by StuMcBill

Guest Smilgs

StuMcBill kindly shared the v1, I hope he doesn't mind I share the link with others. I mean for the main reason to use this is to enjoy full (including sd-ext) nandroid backups.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XUV2I963

* I confirm that this version (bundled with 2.0.1.0) backs up the SD-EXT for me as well.

* Major PITA I discovered - the flasher has problems with some of my USB ports. The ports on front of my PC don't work (stop with "Connection interrupted" or so), the ports on the backside work perfectly.

* One thing more - you can safely use the drivers you have, provided they work in HBOOT mode (i.e. the device is detected correctly and you can connect with ADB) - so it's sufficient to add the hardware ID to the .inf file of the driver you are using (I presume that's what their "hacked drivers" are all about).

I loaded version 2.0.1.0 using this and it backs up my SD-EXT no probs.

I tried to attach V1, but for some reason it will not allow me to?

Guest kai84m
StuMcBill kindly shared the v1, I hope he doesn't mind I share the link with others. I mean for the main reason to use this is to enjoy full (including sd-ext) nandroid backups.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XUV2I963

* I confirm that this version (bundled with 2.0.1.0) backs up the SD-EXT for me as well.

* Major PITA I discovered - the flasher has problems with some of my USB ports. The ports on front of my PC don't work (stop with "Connection interrupted" or so), the ports on the backside work perfectly.

* One thing more - you can safely use the drivers you have, provided they work in HBOOT mode (i.e. the device is detected correctly and you can connect with ADB) - so it's sufficient to add the hardware ID to the .inf file of the driver you are using (I presume that's what their "hacked drivers" are all about).

Hi,

could you please upload this version of unrevoked for Linux!

Thanks very much!

Guest kai84m
The Linux version I've provided on the first post is v1.

Oh, wasnt aware of that, thanks very much!

Edit:

Just flashed with Ubuntu, worked perfectly, I'm back on 2.0.1.0 Ext-Wipe should (hopefully)work now (nandroid with EXTdefinitely does)

Thanks again!

Edited by kai84m

Guest nerdo

Can you kindly also provide a link in first post for Windows v 2.0.1.0

as it's time consuming to try the latest one which doesn't work fully, then unroot to downgrade!

Thanx :)

Guest Pyr0x64

anyone got another link please?

the download refuses to start for me at mediafire :)