Google Contacts no linger visible in People app!

Guest JadeMonkee

Guest JadeMonkee

Hi there,

I had a friend MMS me her contact details yesterday, and today I realised that they had been automatically saved as a phone (not Google) contact.

So I switched the view in the People app to show "Phone" contacts only, and tried to change her contact to a Google one. After finding out that I couldn't, I deleted her contact, and forwarded her MMS to my email account, where I then saved the attached .VCF, and imported it using GMail's web front end.

Anyway, after doing all this, I opened up the People app, and changed the view back to Google only.

But no contacts appeared.

I can change it to Facebook, and all my Facebook contacts appear, just as I can change it so show SIM contacts, and have them appear.

But I just can't get my Google contacts to appear again!

Naturally, as they are my primary contacts (I don't have any saved as "Phone" contacts) this is very frustrating.

I have even wiped Dalvik and re-flashed the ROM, to no avail.

Now, the only other way I can think of fixing this (without doing a complete wipe) is to open up "Manage Applications" in Settings, and then clear the cache of the People app.

BUT ever since I flashed to MCR r4 build 3 WIP pre-release, I've never been able to open "Manage Applications" without getting a FC.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks heaps for your help!

Guest subhramani

First of all, just make sure you have all contacts still intact in your gmail.

I had similar issues and I logged in to Gmail to find out that all my contacts had gotten deleted :-s

Guest Dr. dre
Hi there,

I had a friend MMS me her contact details yesterday, and today I realised that they had been automatically saved as a phone (not Google) contact.

So I switched the view in the People app to show "Phone" contacts only, and tried to change her contact to a Google one. After finding out that I couldn't, I deleted her contact, and forwarded her MMS to my email account, where I then saved the attached .VCF, and imported it using GMail's web front end.

Anyway, after doing all this, I opened up the People app, and changed the view back to Google only.

But no contacts appeared.

I can change it to Facebook, and all my Facebook contacts appear, just as I can change it so show SIM contacts, and have them appear.

But I just can't get my Google contacts to appear again!

Naturally, as they are my primary contacts (I don't have any saved as "Phone" contacts) this is very frustrating.

I have even wiped Dalvik and re-flashed the ROM, to no avail.

Now, the only other way I can think of fixing this (without doing a complete wipe) is to open up "Manage Applications" in Settings, and then clear the cache of the People app.

BUT ever since I flashed to MCR r4 build 3 WIP pre-release, I've never been able to open "Manage Applications" without getting a FC.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks heaps for your help!

Try Syncing the Google Contacts again.

Guest JadeMonkee

@subhramani: Ah yes, I forgot to say: they are still present in Gmail.

@DR. Dre: I used the HTC "Sync all" widget (several times now). That does the same thing, right?

Edited by JadeMonkee

Guest Dr. dre
@DR. Dre: I used the HTC "Sync all" widget (several times now). That does the same thing, right?

I'm sorry, I didn't explained it right, just remove the Google Account from Account and Sync in the setting menu and then sign in to the Google Account again.

Guest JadeMonkee
I'm sorry, I didn't explained it right, just remove the Google Account from Account and Sync in the setting menu and then sign in to the Google Account again.

Cool. Will try that now.

Also, just thought I'd say: the contacts still appear in my Favourites widget, and when I clock search, they appear in the list there, and filter out as I type (just like they should).

Also, in the "View" page, it lists Google as having 170 contacts. It's just that they're not appearing in the people app. They appear everywhere else.

EDIT: I couldn't remove the account: it said I would need to do a factory rest. However, I unchecked the three sync options, then rechecked them, and it performed a sync.

It didn't fix the problem, however.

Edited by JadeMonkee

Guest Dr. dre
Cool. Will try that now.

Also, just thought I'd say: the contacts still appear in my Favourites widget, and when I clock search, they appear in the list there, and filter out as I type (just like they should).

Also, in the "View" page, it lists Google as having 170 contacts. It's just that they're not appearing in the people app. They appear everywhere else.

EDIT: I couldn't remove the account: it said I would need to do a factory rest. However, I unchecked the three sync options, then rechecked them, and it performed a sync.

It didn't fix the problem, however.

This is strange, How come my phone is letting me remove the Google Account ;)

Guest JadeMonkee
This is strange, How come my phone is letting me remove the Google Account ;)

Do you have more than one Google account? I only have one, so maybe it doesn't let you remove the final account.

If not, I have no idea...

Guest Dr. dre
Do you have more than one Google account? I only have one, so maybe it doesn't let you remove the final account.

If not, I have no idea...

No! I just have one Google Account, I got no idea about this.

Guest JadeMonkee
Might be a really stupid thing to try out. But maybe you wanna enable POP/IMAP from your Gmail? :D

No harm in trying :lol:

I don't really understand how this will help (?)

The problem persists.

I guess I'll see if it still lingers after I wipe and move to MCR 4, based on the EU ROM.

Guest JadeMonkee

Ah well.

With the new Euro-based MCR, I had to do a full wipe and install, and since doing it, the app has fixed itself.

From now on, I will NEVER disable the Google Contacts view, just in case it happens again.

Guest Dr. dre
Ah well.

With the new Euro-based MCR, I had to do a full wipe and install, and since doing it, the app has fixed itself.

From now on, I will NEVER disable the Google Contacts view, just in case it happens again.

Good for you, We are still stuck on the MCR r4 b3 :lol: