How do you convert a tar rom dump to a usable state?

Guest saitrix

Guest saitrix

Hi,

I have made a dump of the stock Orange UK Rom as a tar by using busybox. Now this is where I am stuck, is the best format for future recovery, if needed, is a signer update.zip? I am not sure how to go about this, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest lenik
I have made a dump of the stock Orange UK Rom as a tar by using busybox. Now this is where I am stuck, is the best format for future recovery, if needed, is a signer update.zip? I am not sure how to go about this, any help will be greatly appreciated.

if you want to make recovery update.zip, you will need at least compatible boot.img, which you don't have and won't be able to extract from the phone.

if, somehow, you get hold of boot.img, just put them all together in subdirectory update/, for example:

update/system/ <- here goes your tar backup (unpacked)

update/boot.img <- obviously

update/META-INF <- here you should put update_script. borrow it from any ROM and change to suit your needs

then you do:

cd update; zip -r ../update.zip *

and after that you have to sign update.zip to get a signed update.

hope this helps ;)

EDIT: it might be much easier to find RUU rom for your phone/provider with appropriate software version and use it for recovery instead -- it has all the necessary parts (system.img, boot.img) inside.

Edited by lenik

Guest saitrix

Thanks for that!

Hmm I would ideally like to find a RUU but noone seems to have the Orange UK one. This is annoying as I have so little to have to do to get it all working. I wonder whether I can steal the boot.img from the Orange FR RUU? How specific are the boot.img's to each separate rom?

Guest 42turkeys
Thanks for that!

Hmm I would ideally like to find a RUU but noone seems to have the Orange UK one. This is annoying as I have so little to have to do to get it all working. I wonder whether I can steal the boot.img from the Orange FR RUU? How specific are the boot.img's to each separate rom?

If you get a boot img from a rom with the same version (1.15 or 1.21) then that should work as the boot img just holds the kernel mainly. Just use the one from pauls rom.

btw, when you get the update.zip I can root it for you as I'm thinking of doing a stock roms thread.

Guest saitrix

lenik,

Thanks for the thought but trust me I have done many an hour googling the net for one! ;)

42turkeys,

I will send it your way then if I am successful. So I shouldn't have to change anything in the boot.img? Also how exact are you meaning by version number? Ie, 1.15 or 1.15.61.10 (what my dump is).

Guest saitrix

Just checked both mine and the Orange FR kernel versions and they look very slightly different. How compatible are the kernel versions when it comes to using the boot.img from another rom. Below is the version numbers.

Orange UK =

2.6.29-3cb3dfbf

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

build no - 1.15.61.10 CL155070 release-keys

Orange FR =

2.6.29-97da29ed

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

build no - 1.15.72.12 CL155070 release-keys

Guest lenik
Below is the version numbers.

pull /proc/config.gz from device and compare kernel options, if there are no differences -- most probably kernels are compatible.