Barnacle Wi-fi tether problem

Guest pz8l8t

Guest pz8l8t

Hi All,

Can anybody help? I've rooted and installed barnacle wifi tether on my pulse mini. Once i start barnacle and connect my laptop, I can get to the internet. However the connection only lasts about 10 secs before I get an error on barnacle that states "NAT exited: message too long". Has anybody else experienced this? Can anybody help resolve the issue.

My pulse is locked to t-moble.

Thanks in advance

Guest tux880
Hi All,

Can anybody help? I've rooted and installed barnacle wifi tether on my pulse mini. Once i start barnacle and connect my laptop, I can get to the internet. However the connection only lasts about 10 secs before I get an error on barnacle that states "NAT exited: message too long". Has anybody else experienced this? Can anybody help resolve the issue.

My pulse is locked to t-moble.

Thanks in advance

i know this is the big pulse but it still applys Barnacle help

hope this can help

Guest pz8l8t
i know this is the big pulse but it still applys Barnacle help

hope this can help

hi,

thanks for the response. unfortunately it doesn,t help. i don,t use the uk 3 app. i,ve tried uninstalling all my apps but still no joy.

i have notice tho that certian websites don,t cause the error i.e. google, bbc. i can google for an age without issues. however when i go to other sites like this site, i get the error. really wierd.

i,m thinking of reflashing with custom rom. not sure if this will help tho.

Guest Mental_Atom

I think it basically means ur sending too much stuff faster than the 3g network can handle it.. its something like that but NAT is very complex and im hardly and expert.

Guest pz8l8t
Have you tried setting the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (Google) in barnacle?

It may help

hi,

yes tried this, but didn,t work. has anybody got this sucessfully running on the tmobile pulse mini on the tmobile network

Guest alyeo82

I'm having the same issue and I'm also on the UK T-Mobile network. To start with my laptop could see the network and connect but wouldn't load any web pages. Having changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 as suggested I could access google very quickly but now get the same error as mentioned above and booted off after about 10 seconds.

I'd also like to know if anyone has managed to get this working - it seems so close to working I'm sure there must be a way.

A.

Guest pz8l8t
I'm having the same issue and I'm also on the UK T-Mobile network. To start with my laptop could see the network and connect but wouldn't load any web pages. Having changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 as suggested I could access google very quickly but now get the same error as mentioned above and booted off after about 10 seconds.

I'd also like to know if anyone has managed to get this working - it seems so close to working I'm sure there must be a way.

A.

I have a feeling it maybe to do with the tmobile network or the pulse mini phone as other people seem to run this fine on other networks and phones. It would be good to hear from people who have a pulse mini who have this working and on which network.

Guest alyeo82
I have a feeling it maybe to do with the tmobile network or the pulse mini phone as other people seem to run this fine on other networks and phones. It would be good to hear from people who have a pulse mini who have this working and on which network.

From what I read online, T-Mobile very much don't like tethering unless you pay for the 3GB monthly data allowance, the Pulse Mini comes with the 1GB limit. I also read that T-Mobile had Google remove a tethering app for the G1 from the marketplace.

However, as there is apparantly no way to tell you are connected via a tether, I find it hard to believe this is what is causing the problems.

Other posts mention a similar problem solved by removing an app from 3 (as in 3 telecom) - could it be there is a t-mobile app that needs to be removed before this will work?

Guest pz8l8t
From what I read online, T-Mobile very much don't like tethering unless you pay for the 3GB monthly data allowance, the Pulse Mini comes with the 1GB limit. I also read that T-Mobile had Google remove a tethering app for the G1 from the marketplace.

However, as there is apparantly no way to tell you are connected via a tether, I find it hard to believe this is what is causing the problems.

Other posts mention a similar problem solved by removing an app from 3 (as in 3 telecom) - could it be there is a t-mobile app that needs to be removed before this will work?

you may be right. good investigation skills :lol: . thing that I don't understand is why searching google never gives me an error (can google search for like 20 mins with noi probs), however, sites like skysports give an instant NAT exited error? Maybe it has something to do with the amount of data downloaded.

If you find out a problematic app that's causing the error, pleas let me know.

• 1 month later...

If you are getting an error message along the lines of "NAT exited/restarted: Message too long" and you suspect this is a problem, you can fix this by changing your MTU on the device you will be browsing from to 1250. I think people have already covered how to do this on a computer. On an iPod touch and presumably iPad, you can do this by opening Terminal (must be jailbroken, get this from Cydia) and enter this command: "ifconfig en0 mtu 1250" as root (default password is alpine).

Edited by hpp3

• 2 weeks later...

Even newer newbie question!!!

Got my Pulse mini this morning (already rooted) Now trying to get Barnacle to start. Have done the basic set-up but it just sits there saying "starting" and goes no further.

I'm sure this has been done to death but help please!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geraintj

I've got a tmobile pulse mini, into which Ive placed my contract sim (from an old dead windows mobile phone) I have the contract that allows me to use tethering so it's not tmobile blocking.

It is rooted and starts barnacle.

I can connect to barnacle and get an ip address, i can also ping from laptop/ipad to barnacle/pulse mini and through it I can also ping from laptop/ipad to google bbc etc. But if i try and visit any web pages I get NAT Restart:Message too long.

Please note I cannot change MTU on ipad as it is not (cannot be for personal reasons) jailbroken. Any ideas?

Thanks!

GeraintJ.