Dell Streak / RebelSim II Problems

Guest RconMax

Guest vinokirk
Just taken it out in town(1 mile), didnt loose H signal once. Ill be at work tomorrow which is 20 miles away so we'll see how it is after that...fingers x'ed

Right, well just got back from work. Lost signal as soon as I got to work, didnt get it back for aaages. To get it back....I put the sim in my HD2(without rebel) and still no singal, to get signal i have top manually select t-mobile, and network connectivity was restored. Then I put the sim back in my Steak and hey presto i got signal. Switched 3G on and all was ok, even got thru a few texts. But sure enouogh I lost signal again after about an hour, but i just put sim in HD2 then back in Streak and it works!

Guest RconMax
Right, well just got back from work. Lost signal as soon as I got to work, didnt get it back for aaages. To get it back....I put the sim in my HD2(without rebel) and still no singal, to get signal i have top manually select t-mobile, and network connectivity was restored. Then I put the sim back in my Steak and hey presto i got signal. Switched 3G on and all was ok, even got thru a few texts. But sure enouogh I lost signal again after about an hour, but i just put sim in HD2 then back in Streak and it works!

That sounds like what I was getting with my Orange sim.

Since re-doing the procedure but only selecting 2G my Dell has stayed connected and working for over 53 hours now :lol:

(Don't for get my post above "One thing that the RebelSim Dell guide does not tell you is...")

Edited by RconMax

Guest vinokirk
One thing that the RebelSim Dell guide does not tell you is that when you put your network sim (in my case Orange) into some other 2G phone (in my case I used an HTC Hero with 3G turned off) is to:

Put the network sim in 2G phone (with out the RebelSim).

Power on phone.

Try to connect to a network other than the one your sim is for (in my case I selected O2).

It will refuse to connect but this is to be expected.

This apparently blanks out the validation keys on the network sim.

Now connect to the correct network (in my case Orange).

Now make a phone call. The call does not need to be answered.

Send a text.

Browse the web.

Apparently doing this causes your phone to validate your sim with the network in question and the keys are stored to the sim.

Now put the network sim in your Dell along with the Rebel Sim.

Could you clarify which sim each step is using? Its a bit confusing! What is the 'network sim' is this the sim that came with the phone or the sim you wanna put in it?

Guest RconMax
Could you clarify which sim each step is using? Its a bit confusing! What is the 'network sim' is this the sim that came with the phone or the sim you wanna put in it?

Forget the O2 sim that came with your Dell Streak it is not required in this process.

The network sim referred to is the one you want to use in you Dell Streak. I'm my case this is Orange.

Guest vinokirk

After doing the steps above, Should i set my streak to 2g only mode before putting my own sim card in, then put my sim in and boot up. and then never turn on 3g?

Guest vinokirk

Ok, so:

1. Get an unlocked 2G phone (a 3G phone with 3G turned of is ok)

2. Put your own sim card in this phone (without the Rebel Sim)

3. Try to connect to a network other than the one your sim is for (It will refuse to connect but this is to be expected. This apparently blanks out the validation keys on your sim.)

4. Now connect to the correct network for your sim

5. Now make a phone call (The call does not need to be answered)

6. Send a text

7. Browse the web (Apparently doing all this causes your phone to validate your sim with the network in question and the keys are stored to the sim)

8. BEFORE you now transfer your sim card from this device to your Streak, make sure the Streak is in '2G only' mode

9. Now put the network sim in your Dell along with the Rebel Sim.

10.Keep the Streak in 2G only mode.

Guest vinokirk

Well, I did the steps (exactly as i listed above). As soon as I did it, call and texts were comming thru. After a nights sleep my phone is no longer accepting calls or texts :lol:

Guest RconMax
After doing the steps above, Should i set my streak to 2g only mode before putting my own sim card in, then put my sim in and boot up. and then never turn on 3g?

yes.

Guest RconMax
thats what i did to get voice/sms working without fail. no luck with internet of any speed though...

I have voice / sms / 2G (and of course wireless) working perfectly for 3 days now.

Guest RconMax
Ok, so:

1. Get an unlocked 2G phone (a 3G phone with 3G turned of is ok)

2. Put your own sim card in this phone (without the Rebel Sim)

3. Try to connect to a network other than the one your sim is for (It will refuse to connect but this is to be expected. This apparently blanks out the validation keys on your sim.)

4. Now connect to the correct network for your sim

5. Now make a phone call (The call does not need to be answered)

6. Send a text

7. Browse the web (Apparently doing all this causes your phone to validate your sim with the network in question and the keys are stored to the sim)

8. BEFORE you now transfer your sim card from this device to your Streak, make sure the Streak is in '2G only' mode

9. Now put the network sim in your Dell along with the Rebel Sim.

10.Keep the Streak in 2G only mode.

Yep, that's just correct.

That's the only way I could stop my Dell falling off the Orange network.

Now for 3 days I have had calls, texts, 2G and wireless all working fine.

Guest RconMax
thats what i did to get voice/sms working without fail. no luck with internet of any speed though...

For the data / internet did you add the APN for your network and then select it?

Guest vinokirk

I got my Streak today off ebay, so ill be taking the one i got from O2 back tomorrow. The first thing I did was the steps mentioned above, and its run fine so far!

Guest RconMax

For the data / internet did you add and then select the APN for your network?

Guest d1kk1e
For the data / internet did you add and then select the APN for your network?

I filled in all the details except the mcc and mnc with no luck.

if I change those 2 fields the APN just disappears

Guest RconMax
I filled in all the details except the mcc and mnc with no luck.

if I change those 2 fields the APN just disappears

Yer, when I was playing with the settings on my phone I noticed that too.

Do you need to set / change mcc/mnc?

What network are you with?

Guest RconMax

My Streak has now been on Orange (2G only) reliably for over 4 days, so I would expect it to continue that way. :D

Still answer after having repeatedly chased RebelSim for an answer to when they expect to "perfect the process" and how they will provide me (us) with a "free upgrade". :lol:

Guest vagouar
Yeah mines going good too in 2G mode.

So, does it go to 'no service' often? Mine (with two different carriers) when my mobile looses signal (in a basement or similar) can't find it again, until i put my sim to another phone and vice versa.

I don't even have data enabled, just gsm, but to no avail...

Guest RconMax
So, does it go to 'no service' often? Mine (with two different carriers) when my mobile looses signQal (in a basement or similar) can't find it again, until i put my sim to another phone and vice versa.

I don't even have data enabled, just gsm, but to no avail...

My orange sim will go no service some times at work (no worse than it was in my HTC hero) which is a poor coverage area for orange but the phone picks up the signal again by itself self.

Edited by RconMax

Guest RconMax

I wrote to RebelSim again today because they have still not answered my question about when they expect to "perfect the process" (get the Dell Streak to stay on the network when 3G is selected).

The response from RebelSim was:

"any more email about same subject and you will be added to spam list"

I am starting to feel that this sums up the support from RebelSim.

At this point I would strongly urge anyone to think twice about purchasing from RebelSim.

If you can find an alternative option your a probably better taking it.

Guest vagouar
"any more email about same subject and you will be added to spam list"

This isn't a serious answer coming from a serious company. I hope they didn't deliberately answered like that. It's frustrating...