Update methods

Guest ArminC

Guest ArminC

There are two options how to update android on samsung.

First one is Odin, is disused here on the forum. The second one is using update.zip and running it from the recovery mode. The recovery mode is stock right now no custom ones.

Odin:

If you look in to the files of samsung you notice chache.rfs , factoryfs.rfs and zImage are the files you need when you only want to play with android. All the other files are phone files, like radio and stuff like that.

Now zImage is clear that is the kernel. factoryfs.rfs contains android. cache.rfs contains the update script.

So logically when you change factoryfs and cache you can have a custom rom. To do that you need to mount the rfs files. That can be done using this command:

sudo mount -t vfat -o loop factoryfs.rfs /media/tmp

THE PROBLEM i am having is I can remove stuff from the rfs and that is fine but when i try to edit the files, the file I edit gets corrupted after umounting and mounting again.

Does anyone know how to properly edit rfs files. If i can figure that out then custom rom's could be easily be flashed trough odin.

At this point it's possible to remove unwanted stuff from factoryfs.rfs and flash that.

Update.zip:

This method is the same method as for all HTC models and like all modaco roms. Creating this should not be a problem.

Conclusion:

Using odin or update.zip to update android is actualy the same, it contains the same files (duuuh).

Recovery:

Because we don't have a custom recovery method yet when updating goes wrong (odin or update.zip) we need to full reflash back to a stock firmware to get everything running. So a custom recovery would be nice.

Edited by ArminC

• 1 month later...
Guest trigrou

I have tried the update.zip method but it seems to does not work for me, my phone is locked to bouygues, is it related ?

I copied the file update.zip into the two sdcard to be sure :D but nothing happens when I press volume up/down while powering the phone.

any Idea ?

Cheers,

Cedric