GPS on B7610

Guest manarak

Guest manarak

Hi all, first post here.

Great forum, I didn't expect to find such a place with dozens of thousands of posts about the B7610...

Just bought mine yesterday.

I'm trying to get GPS to work and the phone to tell me my coordinates.

I would also like a compass.

No luck so far.

I've installed "GPS location 1.0", which should display my location, but it only shows 0 N 0 E and satellites: 0

I made sure the com port is configured to the same port as the phone uses.

I turned off A-GPS because I just want to use the phone's.

I am located in Switzerland.

Can you help me to get it to work?

Guest Billbates
Hi all, first post here.

Great forum, I didn't expect to find such a place with dozens of thousands of posts about the B7610...

Just bought mine yesterday.

I'm trying to get GPS to work and the phone to tell me my coordinates.

I would also like a compass.

No luck so far.

I've installed "GPS location 1.0", which should display my location, but it only shows 0 N 0 E and satellites: 0

I made sure the com port is configured to the same port as the phone uses.

I turned off A-GPS because I just want to use the phone's.

I am located in Switzerland.

Can you help me to get it to work?

Try using the search first mate.

Try this in the meantime: in the GPS settings, use com 9, baud rate 9600. Wait about 5-10mins in the open skies for lock

Good luck!

Guest boyong

Maybe you need the software port splitter to make your gps software work because some gps softwares needs port splitter in order to use the gps. Try using Garmin Mobile XT. It will surely work. I've been using that since I had my first windows mobile phone with gps (samsung i780) and it also works perfectly in my B7610.

Guest manarak

I tried using the search without much success.

Thank you for the replies.

I found the *#1472365# trick, but when I tried "get position" nothing happened.

But maybe I don't wait long enough.

Though the Samsung gives me the "locked" symbol in phone mode, the position is still 0,0

I had no idea positioning without connection takes 5 to 10 minutes?

Using a-gps costs money, right?

First thing I will try is com9/9600 baud and leaving the phone alone under the sky for 10 minutes.

In what mode should I do this?

Will every position check take so long without using the internet?

(sorry, as you can see, I'm a total newbie at this)

Edited by manarak

Guest manarak

I just got a position using the "nogarder GPS" after waiting a long time (like 15 minutes).

Still no luck with "GPS location 1.0" though.

After receiving a position with nogarder, the symbol in the phone screen didn't show a lock.

The battery is now very low.

I can't believe the GPS devices in cars work the same way?

What's wrong?

Guest darthveda

connect your phone to activesync, then goto GPS, enable XTRA, it will download the info using the internet on your PC. No charges there :lol:

Guest Billbates
I just got a position using the "nogarder GPS" after waiting a long time (like 15 minutes).

Still no luck with "GPS location 1.0" though.

After receiving a position with nogarder, the symbol in the phone screen didn't show a lock.

The battery is now very low.

I can't believe the GPS devices in cars work the same way?

What's wrong?

At first it will take a long time but the next time you connect, it will take less time. Try using Garmin or tom tom for GPS

Guest manarak

hmmm... still totally stomped by how strange GPS works on the phone.

using nogarder, I got a reading in the street.

10 satellites in view, my position was fixed in about a minute, and then it indicated my position, speed, heading, altitude.

then I came home, launched nogarder while connected to my PC with active sync, and the phone tried to download something, but using a GPRS connection!

I canceled the connection, and since then GPS is dead.

I can still "hear" 4 satellites when I'm near the window (shown on the sat summary screen), but somehow the device doesn't want to show my position.

I hooked it up with WLAN internet connection now, so it can download anything it wants!

Guest boyong
is it possible to use d GPS wid google maps??!

yes, although you can only access the map through an internet connection, preferably 3G connections because gprs connection is to slow in loading the maps and wifi is not available when your on the road.

Guest Jimmy X

A-GPS on the omnia is not quite the same as regular AGPS (as far as I can tell). It is not the same as XTRA (which is what I consider traditional AGPS)

XTRA is a list of satellite positions with a weekly stale date. This is downloaded as a file from the internet therefore charged.

A-GPS uses the position of your phone in relation to the broadcast CELL that your phone is connected to, it also gives an accurate time signal. This is as acurate as the CELLS in your area, if you are in the middle of the city with lots of cells then you might get a ~100m accuracy. Otherwise like me in the country I am 500m to the CELL. A-GPS is free but obviously cannot be used if you dont have a SIM card in your phone (I still use my old omnia i900 as a tomtom device in the car with no SIM in it)

Edited by Jimmy X