Will a SIM unlock solution be coming?

Guest Loconinja

Guest Loconinja

This is a question for Paul or other Android chefs.

I understand that the SIM lock is separate to the OS, and has nothing to do with whether the device is rooted or not. I am guessing it is implemented in the bootloader?

What is the likelihood that this will be cracked in the short term?

The reason I ask is that I really cannot use the device on O2. The reception has been truly appalling everywhere I have been and unless a SIM unlock solution is on the horizon, I will have to return my Streak.

P.S. I have tried the RebelSim II and it does not work satisfactorily. After 10 or 15 minutes, it reverts to "Emergency Calls Only".

Guest Groover14
This is a question for Paul or other Android chefs.

I understand that the SIM lock is separate to the OS, and has nothing to do with whether the device is rooted or not. I am guessing it is implemented in the bootloader?

What is the likelihood that this will be cracked in the short term?

The reason I ask is that I really cannot use the device on O2. The reception has been truly appalling everywhere I have been and unless a SIM unlock solution is on the horizon, I will have to return my Streak.

P.S. I have tried the RebelSim II and it does not work satisfactorily. After 10 or 15 minutes, it reverts to "Emergency Calls Only".

I've seen in other posts that O2 will provide unlocking when the Streak is no longer exclusive. It's gone online today on the Dell store sim free, so return yours and get one from Dell direct or ask O2 if they can unlock now that sim free ones are now available.

Worth a shot?

Guest Loconinja

It is 18 days since I bought my Streak, so I am just outside the 14 day period. However, I am returning to the O2 Store today, armed with copies of e-mails from O2 refusing to unlock the phone and a copy of the Dell webpage.

Love the Streak, hate O2.

Guest Groover14
It is 18 days since I bought my Streak, so I am just outside the 14 day period. However, I am returning to the O2 Store today, armed with copies of e-mails from O2 refusing to unlock the phone and a copy of the Dell webpage.

Love the Streak, hate O2.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest vinokirk

Success!

The manager at O2 Crawley was brilliant.

How much did he charge you?
What was his name so I can go to tore and give them his name.
Did he do it there and then? Edited by vinokirk

Guest Loconinja
How much did he charge you?

What was his name so I can go to the Lincoln store and give them his name.

Did he do it there and then?

Sorry, I meant I was successful at getting a refund. There was no budging on the SIM unlock.

Guest Loconinja

Once unlocked Streaks from Dell start to appear in the wild, will it be possible to unlock an O2 Streak by flashing the radio ROM from an unlocked Streak?

Guest Dunhamzzz
Once unlocked Streaks from Dell start to appear in the wild, will it be possible to unlock an O2 Streak by flashing the radio ROM from an unlocked Streak?

I like that theory...

Bumping thread.