Finally got round to rooting my Galaxy S....

Guest PaulOBrien

I rooted my Galaxy S at last, so i've started tweaking around. In case anyone is interested, i'll post what I did here (the process isn't necessarily the easiest or best, it's just what I did!)!

Done

• Upgraded to XXJFB via Odin using the download here
  • Flashed the rooted kernel to the device, again via Odin, from here
  • When root, using adb shell, installed ChainsDD's Superuser APK from here
  • Reflashed the XXJFB kernel to the device, again via Odin, that I repacked from the original update. I uploaded it here
  • Using adb shell, I removed a few unwanted bits from system/app, Layar, Navigation and the uTalk app

• Investigate 'stalls' if they still occur in the latest firmware
    • Optimise build using MCR process
    • Look in to any other possible optimisations, test update zip install process
    • Investigate boot image format
    • How does this compare with what everyone else has done? Apparently this method is super easy, however I couldn't 'adb reboot recovery' for some reason. :lol:

P

Guest woutf

Hi,

I'm very new to Android, and the GS is my first phone running the OS. With what you know so far, do you think it's possible to get your famous ROM running on the GS in the future? And perhaps even FroYo?

Guest zenkinz

I've flashed XXJFB as well, and find that it's overall much faster than my DXJF4 rooted ROM. I had used the same method of rooting as you earlier, but after flashing XXJFB, I used the simplier recovery method, and it is very straight forward for me. I think you may have missed out putting the update.zip in the sd card? (i.e. /sdcard/sd rather than /sdcard)

I rooted my Galaxy S at last, so i've started tweaking around. In case anyone is interested, i'll post what I did here (the process isn't necessarily the easiest or best, it's just what I did!)!

Done

• Upgraded to XXJFB via Odin using the download here
  • Flashed the rooted kernel to the device, again via Odin, from here
  • When root, using adb shell, installed ChainsDD's Superuser APK from here
  • Reflashed the XXJFB kernel to the device, again via Odin, that I repacked from the original update. I uploaded it here
  • Using adb shell, I removed a few unwanted bits from system/app, Layar, Navigation and the uTalk app

• Investigate 'stalls' if they still occur in the latest firmware
    • Optimise build using MCR process
    • Look in to any other possible optimisations, test update zip install process
    • Investigate boot image format

How does this compare with what everyone else has done? Apparently this method is super easy, however I couldn't 'adb reboot recovery' for some reason. :lol:

P

Great! The first thing we should work on is a kernel that supports HIGHMEM!

What makes you think that the Galaxy S isn't using all the available memory?

P

Guest woutf

P

It's not uncommon to have <100MB free without running any apps. Seems a bit on the low side, wouldn't you say?

Guest BasieP

For my information:

The source of Android 2.2 is out there. The galaxy S is rooted.

Are there some drivers missing so there can't be a 2.2 android for the SGS?

Or are there ppl working on a 2.2 version of the android rom as we speak?

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but i try to read a lot. Problem is that i don't know of anybody currently working on a 2.2 SGS rom...

Is that because I just don't know it?

Guest kalpik

P

That's the general consensus on the Internet! Are you saying that the Galaxy S uses full 512 MB ram?

Guest ArminC

I think when you are not upgrading the whole firmware it's much easier to work with the update.zip instead of with ODIN. Because ODIN uses samsung vfat system and I still have't figured out how to write to it without causing file corruption.

See my post here: http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-...update-methods/

If you wish to play with the kernel I think compiling it and putting it in an tar file and flashing with ODIN would work without problem.

I haven't had much time but my TODO list is as following:

1) Create an update.zip with (root,superuser,remove unwanted stuff)

2) Compile clean ECLAIR and create update.zip (root,superuser)

3) Try to compile FROYO for GS

Guest magicdroid

here's to hoping the latest firmware update is solving the black-outs... I would go nuts if my phone would pause for 5 to 10 seconds every once and awhile!

Guest Robert Davidson

Hi Paul, just following your instructions in post 1, your 4th line is (Reflashed the XXJFB kernel to the device, again via Odin, that I repacked from the original update. I uploaded it here), the link goes back to the Superuser APK in line 3. Is this correct or am I missing something.

Guest irenic

nice.. cant wait for you to discover the cause of the 'stall' issue. and fix it of course!!

thanks!!

Edited by irenic

Guest Arnon

isations, test update zip install process

[*]Investigate boot image format

this method is super easy, however I couldn't 'adb reboot recovery' for some reason. :lol:

If adb reboot recovery doesn't work you can always power-on while holding home+volume up - it aslo goes to recovery

Arnon

Guest dodolom
IIRC there is about 333MB available in total...

P

Hi Paul,

I know it is not related to this topic but I've been trying to get an answer from you about this matter. I've accidentally upgraded my rom on HTC Desire to 1.23.351.1, and it is currently NOT ROOTED. I found a downgrade guide here but it seems to work just for the rooted phones. I basically need SU access during the downgrade process but because the phone is now UNROOTED, it won't give me the SU access. Any way around this? I really wanna be able to go back to my rooted phone.

Once again, apologies for posting this here but I sent you a message through your profile a few times but never heard back and I noticed that you posted on this thread earlier today so I thought I might get your attention :lol:

Thanks

Guest darksnarfer

Can you share how did you remove it? Just with the "rm" command from the shell or there is some command to force the uninstallation of the preloaded apps?

Guest Russ-ST24

nice work.

I am running xxjf3.

If I flash xxjfb will it wipe my device? and I assume this is the newest firmware from samsung?

Thanks

Russ

Guest bedwa

Thanks for the hard work on this. It'll help when the galaxy s is released in the us. I'm looking forward to getting it to supplement my n1

Guest megakid
Hey guys I am getting the phone tomorrow...can't wait... I need it rooted asap :lol:

Does the method here http://forum.samdroid.net/f49/superuser-su...06-2010-a-1355/ use the latest kernal/firmware?

Will my device require a firmware update when I first turn it on? It is a sim free UK spec phone... thanks guys

I have a sim free UK spec i9000 and I used the top method (adb) in the link - worked flawlessly and I now have root.

I have XXJF3 baseband (this was on the phone when I bought it and the top adb method does not affect it).

I'll probably wait for some custom ROMs to come out before playing with updating that.

Guest Russ-ST24

hi

Followed the update from the link and now I have kernal wxjfb? Not xx?

when first booted it was in Russian and then sorted out when I put my sim in.

But some paid apps are missing from the store?

Have I somehow got the wrong firmware?

The rar file was xx?

When I do #*1234# I see.

Pda: xwjfb

Phone: xxjf5

Csc: serjf3

Thanks

Russ

Guest rrradiogirrrl
nice.. cant wait for you to discover the cause of the 'stall' issue. and fix it of course!!

thanks!!

Soooooooooo, I went to Samsung today :lol: They seemed pretty confident a firmware upgrade would fix everything. They even showed me an upcoming firmware that seemed indeed a bit faster. Since you already got your Galaxy S to run with the speed of light it seems possible, no?