[How-To] Rooting the Galaxy

Guest naTTan

Guest naTTan

I come from the G1 and HTC Hero and rooted it early on so i have been absent on how to root newer phones.

Lost my Hero and took the plunge on my first Samsung phone. I was afraid of lack of developer or custom rom support but since paul has it i hope you do your fine MCR on it.

That being said, i have read some of the post on rooting but it seems messy as of now.

Question :

1) Can i root from any firmware or version? I don't understand this firmware issue actually how is it in contrast to HTC counter part?

2) What's the simplest method to get root?

3) Is there any hope we can get a custom recovery ?

Guest ArminC
I come from the G1 and HTC Hero and rooted it early on so i have been absent on how to root newer phones.

Lost my Hero and took the plunge on my first Samsung phone. I was afraid of lack of developer or custom rom support but since paul has it i hope you do your fine MCR on it.

That being said, i have read some of the post on rooting but it seems messy as of now.

Question :

1) Can i root from any firmware or version? I don't understand this firmware issue actually how is it in contrast to HTC counter part?

2) What's the simplest method to get root?

3) Is there any hope we can get a custom recovery ?

You can root all versions.

Go to samdroid download update.zip reboot to recovery apply update. Done

Dont know about recovery. But i think it could be posible

Guest naTTan
You can root all versions.

Go to samdroid download update.zip reboot to recovery apply update. Done

Dont know about recovery. But i think it could be posible

Ok but i am confuse about the update.zip in HTC phone, update zip would be dependent on the rom either you are installing a cyanogen rom or some sense rom the first custom recovery would at the time usually accept update.zip although newer one can now flash any .zip file.

In samsung what is actually the update.zip? is it the rom? and if so what is firmware?

Guest jUsT2eXy

I too am confused....

Coming from a HTC Hero I don't get Samsungs firmware labelling or the rooting of firmwares on the Samsung...

Can we root the latest firmware with that one update.zip ? Is that update.zip a "one size fits all" kinda thing?

Guest ArminC

The update.zip from samdroid is only an update, what it does is copy SU/SuperUser and busybox to your phone and add rights to it.

It is not updating your firmware or anything like that.

The update.zip is the same thing as in HTC. You can use update.zip to flash the whole Android or only to change some things.

Guest bambibio

I'd like to know what's the easiest way to backup the stock firmware after rooting with the update.zip mentioned in this thread. I've already flashed my own phone with the modaco's r1, but my friend still has the stock-everything, and it would be nice to get a copy of the original firmware in case something goes wrong with the hardware and I need to get something under warranty..

So is there a simple way to get the stock firmware backed up for future?