XXJFB - Deodexing / Optimising / Kitchening

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just deodexed and successfully flashed the I9000XXJFB ROM from Samsung-Firmwares! :lol:

This unlocks theming, customising etc. etc., i'm going to run my optimisation scripts against it and then post it for download in pre-bake and kitchen form. Watch this space! :D

P

Guest woutf
Awesome! Were you able to confirm if the stock firmware supports the full 512MB of ram?

Awesome news! What do your optimisation scripts do exactly? Speed things up, I assume?

Guest m1le5

Interested about the RAM module...what it's real size is...anyone seen a teardown? Is the Galaxy S kernel not utilising full ram?

Also if you're delivering custom roms will you step by step your rooting with recovery?

Guest woutf

Paul, is it possible to optimise nand-acces times? I've done some testing, and from benchmark results you can tell that writing to nand takes ages on the GS (slower than the Hero on 1.5). This might explain the hickups, especially when installing from market.

Guest woutf
Writing where? /data is an internal SD which will affect access times...

P

I've used Droidbench to do some tests, and both sequential and random writes to the internal storage are about twice as slow as on the Desire. Might just be the benchmark, but I've ran the tests a couple of times with the same results. I was hoping it's software/kernel related, and not due to Samsung using slower/cheaper chips.

Guest hkfriends

thanks Paul... hope you can resolve the lagging issue on this nice phone.

btw, i am wondering it may due to the Samsung CPU's stalling behaviour :lol:

Guest dherrero
thanks Paul... hope you can resolve the lagging issue on this nice phone.

btw, i am wondering it may due to the Samsung CPU's stalling behaviour :lol:

Currently I am using LauncherPro instead of touchwizz 3.0 and the lags are gone.....

Guest Xoneso
Currently I am using LauncherPro instead of touchwizz 3.0 and the lags are gone.....

Which firmware? since i'm using LauncherPro on XXJFB and i still have the lag

Guest dherrero
Which firmware? since i'm using LauncherPro on XXJFB and i still have the lag

Same than you.....maybe just an ilusion but the situation with touchwiz was much worse...

I've used Droidbench to do some tests, and both sequential and random writes to the internal storage are about twice as slow as on the Desire. Might just be the benchmark, but I've ran the tests a couple of times with the same results. I was hoping it's software/kernel related, and not due to Samsung using slower/cheaper chips.

Like I say, the Galaxy S uses a second SD card internally for it's /data storage, which would account for the different access times.

P

Guest woutf
Like I say, the Streak uses a second SD card internally for it's /data storage, which would account for the different access times.

P

That's a shame then for such a high-end smartphone.

Guest hkfriends
woutf, do this tweak then run your tests again...

P

Paul,

My device is rooted, but no "cp" command

# cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

cp: not found

how to resolve?