22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kilack

Hey Guys,

Warning noob questions :)

I owned a nexus one and got used to flashing that , processed seemed easier for that phone or maybe i just got used to it....and now am a samsung galaxy s owner, still deciding if it was a wise decision or not.. miss the trackball for alerts and also the lack of lag on the nexus hehe.

Anyway, currently my phone is untouched and running jf3, I have read through various threads about flashing etc but seem to be a few different methods, using adb, using odin, copying update.zip to the sim card etc.

To use Pauls bakes it says you have to be on jfb which doesnt come as an update.zip or can i just rename that file (i9000xxjf5.rar) that you download to update.zip and then copy it into the sim? or do i need to go through the odin emthd process first?

then can just use update.zip once ive downloaded a custom rom from here?

thanks

Edited by Kilack

Guest jUsT2eXy
Hey Guys,

Warning noob questions :)

I owned a nexus one and got used to flashing that , processed seemed easier for that phone or maybe i just got used to it....and now am a samsung galaxy s owner, still deciding if it was a wise decision or not.. miss the trackball for alerts and also the lack of lag on the nexus hehe.

Anyway, currently my phone is untouched and running jf3, I have read through various threads about flashing etc but seem to be a few different methods, using adb, using odin, copying update.zip to the sim card etc.

To use Pauls bakes it says you have to be on jfb which doesnt come as an update.zip or can i just rename that file (i9000xxjf5.rar) that you download to update.zip and then copy it into the sim? or do i need to go through the odin emthd process first?

then can just use update.zip once ive downloaded a custom rom from here?

thanks

odin first for upgrading to jfb

then update.zip .... drag onto your sd card ... and use recovery (adb or hold down volume up + home + power button)

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest Kilack

I just flashed my phone to jf5 after coming from jf3

I am pretty sure when I used to have wifi on that the icon with the H and two arrows used to disappear but now it stays there.. or is that my imagination?

I also thought that when you used to disable 3g you would get an icon at the top saying 2g or something different....

Guest Axefield
r2 based on JG1 coming tomorrow! :)

P

Great! Just finished reflash with XWJG1. Seems to work a little bit faster than JFB, but I'm not sure because of so little time of testing.

Looking forward to the next release!

Thank you for your commitment!!

Guest Tyxerakias
XWJG1 has 2 CSC files that are significant smaller than what XXJFB had.

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/312...chen/page/120/#

Other - for CIS countries...

To clarify - CSC-I9000SERJG1 is Russian like JFB, but contains all other languages as well, like JFB...

and CSC-I9000OXEJG1 is for the CIS countries only, as it is smaller, and anyone not from the region should not install?

Which file is right to use if you don't want your phone only in Russian?

Thanks!

Guest coldlazymo

Hey guys, how do you back up all the changes you have made to the phone so that, after updating the firmware, you can go back to your phone being just how you like it? this is my first android, and i am coming from a huge history of nokias, so i am not sure how to do things on here. i know on nokias, you just backed it up to the sd card, and then restored after flash. is there anything like this for this phone? Thanks in advance!!

Guest KLoNe Technologies
I just flashed my phone to jf5 after coming from jf3

I am pretty sure when I used to have wifi on that the icon with the H and two arrows used to disappear but now it stays there.. or is that my imagination?

I also thought that when you used to disable 3g you would get an icon at the top saying 2g or something different....

Yeah good call, 3g is supposed to turn off when wifi is on.

Guest Kilack

I just realised I've lost the sim toolkit application that was first on the phone too, is there anyway to install that again?

update: sorry just going blind...

Edited by Kilack

Guest aeo087

I flashed the JG1 but I'm having a weird problem: I can't send text messages using swype (weird but true). I re-flashed and the problem is still there.

Anyone else having this issue? swype works fine for everything else... it just doesn't send texts when I click send... I switch to the samsung keyboard and the problem is gone.

Other than that issue, this firmware seems faster than JFB and the market stalling is gone by the default... in fact, the market seems even faster than with the stall fix previously.

Anyone else having my swype issue? have you managed to fix it? (i love swype...)

Guest FerdiBorbon
Tell a lie, same Swype issue here. Oddness!

P

Maybe its wise to hold off on the R2 release until a new firmware is out fixing the SmS/Swype issue Paul?

Or is there anything worthy on the G1 that you have found worth updating to?

Guest FerdiBorbon
I fixed it already... MCR r2 won't have the Swype / SMS issue.

P

Wow you work like a gun!

Thank you... looking forward to your R2 :)

Guest YEMBEK
Wow you work like a gun!

Thank you... looking forward to your R2 :)

Paul

when are you supposed to schedule the release of your new job?

:D :P :P

Guest FerdiBorbon
Paul

when are you supposed to schedule the release of your new job?

:) :D :P

He said tomorrow, but be patient bro.. im following Paul on Twitter and hes a busy man with other stuff lol :P

Guest Archer13
I fixed it already... MCR r2 won't have the Swype / SMS issue.

Would it be the same requirement as

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, YOU MUST ALREADY BE RUNNING THE JFB ROM FROM HERE. Do NOT use this ROM with any other base, unpredictable things will happen, the most likely being you'll have to reflash your device via Odin.

but for JG1?

Guest Archer13
Yeah.

Ok. If I will backup my phone with Titanium on JFB, will it restore on JG1? Or it's better to make a clean install of apps?

Thanks for info anyway, I'll go to play with my SGS right now :)

Guest Lio78

Hey Paul, other news about r2?

Great works, Thank you!

EDIT: Sorry, you have just release r2, but thank's

Edited by Lio78