22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest seraphine

Also, I can't seem to get KIES to recognise my phone -- keeps looping MTP Device mode. Will this affect my flashing etc.?

First-time android user and flasher here.

Okay, downloading all the stuff for this now. The right order is:

1. Download ROM (I9000XWJG1)

2. Download ODIN

3. Flash phone

4. Root it

5. Copy the update.zip onto it

6. Use ADB Recovery mode to apply the update

7. Profit?!

Is it also correct that if I stop at #3 then I will have just a normal Galaxy with the latest Firmware of my choice, and that #4-#7 is what roots it and makes it awesome?

Guest Onraad

2. Download ODIN

3. Flash phone

4. Root it

7. Profit?!

Is it also correct that if I stop at #3 then I will have just a normal Galaxy with the latest Firmware of my choice, and that #4-#7 is what roots it and makes it awesome?

Yes, you can also boot in recovery mode using VOL UP + HOME + PWR, no adb needed..

2. Download ODIN

3. Flash phone

4. Root it

7. Profit?!

And if you are going to apply the modaco Custom ROM, theres no need to Root the phone first, cause it will be rooted when you have the MCR.

Guest hihihehe

just a quick question,if i flash to pre-baked r2 rom, all my data will be gone too?

im now using JG1 with all my data inside...

Guest aeo087
just a quick question,if i flash to pre-baked r2 rom, all my data will be gone too?

im now using JG1 with all my data inside...

You shouldn't lose any of your data. You don't need to wipe to flash this rom.

Guest hihihehe
You shouldn't lose any of your data. You don't need to wipe to flash this rom.

thanks..will use your video as a guide :)

Guest us1111
Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM

What does the MCR build process exactly do? At the moment i have the G1 rom with alternate lag fix (only com.android and com.sec.android moved) and this rom is quite fast now. So what is the extra speed improvement in this MCR build?

Guest hihihehe

sorry,i just installed the r2 rom so what should i do next?

how i execute the lag fixed script?how about busybox?

sorry i am very new to android :/

Guest Onraad
Also, I can't seem to get KIES to recognise my phone -- keeps looping MTP Device mode. Will this affect my flashing etc.?

Did u try to recover drivers? Click at topleft KIES logo -> Driver Recovery

This worked for me when my PC had troubles recognizing my phone

Edited by Onraad

Guest hihihehe

btw,once i apply a LagFix script and rebooted, there are many error messages that ask me to Force close..what should i do? :)

and also there is a notification say that Low on space. Database storage is getting low.

Edited by hihihehe

Guest seraphine

So I plug my phone in, and Odin sees it on COM 3. I selected the PIT file, CSC etc. and click start?

That's all there is to it?

Do I want to repartition?

Really nervous about this! :)

And if you are going to apply the modaco Custom ROM, theres no need to Root the phone first, cause it will be rooted when you have the MCR.
Edited by seraphine

Guest seraphine

Done that multiple times actually. No go...

Factory resetting it to see if that helps. Sigh. Really wish Samsung would make stuff like this just work.

Did u try to recover drivers? Click at topleft KIES logo -> Driver Recovery

This worked for me when my PC had troubles recognizing my phone

Guest seraphine

Update: Seems to be working fine now.

FYI, the COM port on your PC changes when you plug into different ports. Apparently ODIN is picky which it will respond to...

Oh crap. The flashing went nowhere, and now I get an icon in the middle of the screen -- a phone with a warning symbol and a PC icon.

Anyone know what this means and what I should do next?

Edited by seraphine

Guest aeo087
Update: Seems to be working fine now.

FYI, the COM port on your PC changes when you plug into different ports. Apparently ODIN is picky which it will respond to...

this is true, mine connects to com6, 10, and 7... It only works on 7 for some reason...

Guest jjwa
Paul, I've always been a silent admirer of your work. I have one question about this ROM: does it contain Dutch language. I searched the topic and found that although some things will be displayed in Russian at first, after a while this will automatically change to English. Does this also account for other European languages (like Dutch)?

Thanks in advance for the reaction!

I haved used Dutch interface and Dutch Swype for a short time before I switched them to English, I can confirm that they are working :). I have not tried the Dutch X9 (I don't know why I would want to :D). The download is in the firmware you need before you apply the custom rom. The firmware download contains 2 CSC files, I have used the CSC-I9000OXEJG1.tar one.

Guest seraphine

I'm doing a fine job of answering my own questions it seems. I think I'll hold off on posting in future and solve it and not have to post in the first place.

No, the solution is to reflash apparently (previously posts suggest this).

After updating Swype worked fine, but then I factory reset the phone and now Swype doesn't work anymore.

Does this mean I should re-run the update.zip?

Edited by seraphine

Guest hihihehe
btw,once i apply a LagFix script and rebooted, there are many error messages that ask me to Force close..what should i do? :)

and also there is a notification say that Low on space. Database storage is getting low.

no1 can help me?i keep getting force close error

i need to reflash all over again?

Guest Andrew Luecke
no1 can help me?i keep getting force close error

i need to reflash all over again?

Did you wipe you /data? That's what happened when I wiped it. Try redoing from the beginning..

Guest hihihehe
Did you wipe you /data? That's what happened when I wiped it. Try redoing from the beginning..

nope,before i install r2 rom,i have many apps inside..

after installed the rom,and run fixlag script,it keep pop up error message

Guest krotwijk
How can I change my phone from Russian to English? I flashed the G1 firmware and it doesn't switch to english??

Did you reboot with the simcard inserted?

After entering the sim unlock code all Will be set to the default language your provider used.

Edited by krotwijk