22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ppeccin
Hello! I new to the forum, and also new to Android, although I'm a tech person.

Please, can anyone explain me the conceptual difference between the process explained here to apply the MCR and the process to apply a different firmware (JG1 for instance) using Odin?

What is the difference between the two modes of the phone, as in POWER+HOME+VOLUP and POWER+HOME+VOLDOWN?

Can you always reflash a firmware using any of this modes in case something terrible happen?

Thanks,

Paulo

Can anyone help me?

I must understand these 2 concepts before I try anything. Are they really different? Why?

Please.

Thanks,

Paulo

Guest ObliviA
Can anyone help me?

I must understand these 2 concepts before I try anything. Are they really different? Why?

Please.

Thanks,

Paulo

You always can flash back a old ROM(firmware) on your devices. You can find stock ROM's here http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

Downloade mode = POWER+HOME+VOLDOWN

recovery-mode = VolumeUp+Home+Power

To flash a stock ROM on your device you use Odin. Tutorial:

and

Read tis FAQ: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723596

Edited by ObliviA

Guest ppeccin
You always can flash back a old ROM(firmware) on your devices. You can find stock ROM's here http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/

Downloade mode = POWER+HOME+VOLDOWN

recovery-mode = VolumeUp+Home+Power

To flash a stock ROM on your device you use Odin. Tutorial:

and

Read tis FAQ: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723596

Yes thanks!

BUT what I dont understand is what is the difference between the 2 process...

What is the differente between Recovery and Download mode?

If the MCR release is also a ROM, why it is transferred to the phone using a different method? (Odin vs Adb)

Why I have to be runnig stock JG1 before applying MCR if they are both ROMS?

I'm probably mixing up things, please elucidate.

Thank you,

Paulo

Guest ObliviA
Yes thanks!

BUT what I dont understand is what is the difference between the 2 process...

What is the differente between Recovery and Download mode?

If the MCR release is also a ROM, why it is transferred to the phone using a different method? (Odin vs Adb)

Why I have to be runnig stock JG1 before applying MCR if they are both ROMS?

I'm probably mixing up things, please elucidate.

Thank you,

Paulo

mm I'm not sure so don't kill me if I say it wrong :angry:

The stock ROM JG1 has to be on it because the custom ROM r2 is based on the JG1.

When flashing your phone you need to go to download mode to download the new ROM on your phone from your computer.

And why not install a custom ROM(like this one from Modaco) using Odin, i have no idee? Maybe because you can't make a PDA and MODEM and CSC file? don't know.

Guest Matchstick
To be able to install more programs of course.

AIUI about 2Gb of the internal memory is allocated to App storage and since on my Desire I only have a 256Mb App2SD partition and find that's more that big enough for a large collection of apps (including dalvik cache) I'm kind of curious how many programs you're planning to install ? :(

Edited by Matchstick

Guest 3sade
R3 will be out today or tomorrow, i'm working on it now! :(

P

Hey Paul!

Thanks for the heads up! Great job, really looking forward to it :(

What about HTC's Sense UI, will it be possible to port it to the Galaxy S, or will that be really difficult?

Thanks for the great efford, peace!

Guest fredphoesh
AIUI about 2Gb of the internal memory is allocated to App storage and since on my Desire I only have a 256Mb App2SD partition and find that's more that big enough for a large collection of apps (including dalvik cache) I'm kind of curious how many programs you're planning to install ? :(

I have been unable to install Samsung's car racing programme on my phone. Ive tried the hacks on this forum to move things about, but no matter what I tried, it kept on saying there was no space... so I would also want A2SD, it worked without any problem on my Hero, and I have wasted hours trying unsuccessfully to overcome space problems installing this 50mb app...

Ive resigned myself to waiting for 2.2 which I believe will allow A2SD off the bat.

Mark.

Guest scumbag77
r3 aka 'the JG5 release' now online in the kitchen, prebake to follow! :(

P

im currently using rooted standard rom with jg5, would i just be able to restore with titanium backup what my current phone has installed if i go for the lastest rom?, are their many speed improvements in r3?

cheers

Edited by scumbag77

Guest kalpik

Hi Paul!

Does the r3 include the sdcard fix? Or will we have to flash the sdcard fix kernel again after updating to r3?

Thanks for the release :(

Guest kalpik

Ok, just saw this:

r3

* Rebuilt with JG5 release. This will be the last 'overwrite release', next version will be a full ROM that does not require an Odin flash first.

What does this mean? The next ROM will be flashed via Odin itself? No update.zip?

Guest ObliviA

Installation

To install this ROM:

* Ensure you have the JG1 ROM installed (linked above)

* Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card named 'update.zip'

maybe you can edit this paul. Some ppl will get confused

Ok, just saw this:

What does this mean? The next ROM will be flashed via Odin itself? No update.zip?

I think it means exactly the opposite you just said.

Guest jonsat

Paul, I've a problem. I installed jg5 and r3 above it and all went well.

Now I'm trying to restore my backup with titanium and it keeps asking me superuser permission.

It seems that "remember it" is not functioning... so I experiencing a nightmare with hundreds of clicks on "allow"...

Any hint?

Thanks

Guest Matchstick

Can anyone confirm exactly which PDA, Modem and CSC files it's recommended to flash to before applying this update ?

(I'm currently using PDA and Modem JG1, but JF9 CSC as I couldn't find an English language version of the JG1 CSC)

Paul, I've a problem. I installed jg5 and r3 above it and all went well.

Now I'm trying to restore my backup with titanium and it keeps asking me superuser permission.

It seems that "remember it" is not functioning... so I experiencing a nightmare with hundreds of clicks on "allow"...

Any hint?

Thanks

Does Titanium show up in the Superuser app?

P

Guest jonsat
Does Titanium show up in the Superuser app?

P

Yes, of course. I noticed that the same occurs with other apps... every time I open it still ask for SU permission.... ??