HTC Desire boot freeze

Guest GrandMstRamRod

Guest GrandMstRamRod

for some reason today my htc desire is froze on the htc boot logo when starting up when it finally powers up after few trys it wont go past it even to quietly birlliant part, its stock rom, ive factory reset but still no joy, i dont really want tis o take it back to o2 as it's going to cost me.

nothign abnormal has happerned to it appart from i charged it for 4 hours in work then it worked fine switched off and now wont boot, tried looking everywere from answers and dont seem to find anything tried using the RUU to reinstall rom but no joy, i can get onto bootloader and fastboot but carnt seem to get any further.

if anyone can help be much appreciated

Guest persko
for some reason today my htc desire is froze on the htc boot logo when starting up when it finally powers up after few trys it wont go past it even to quietly birlliant part, its stock rom, ive factory reset but still no joy, i dont really want tis o take it back to o2 as it's going to cost me.

Well, if it is not rooted or anything, you should have it covered under warranty, so it shouldn't cost you to take it back.

Per

Guest squrl

By "Stock ROM" you mean you aren't rooted? Bootloops are often caused by A2SD, more specifically, messed up SD-EXT partition. Have you tried booting w/o SD card?

Guest Cactus42
yh its not rooted, i just found it strange and only had it 2 weeks

There does appear to be an issue with some Desires out there - I've had to get mine exchanged by Virgin due to the problem. Since rooting the other night I've tried 3 different ROMS all with the same result (Edit - it was doing this before rooting too) :

Phone works fine for days, but it will reboot itself when doing something intensive - this could be texting with a file transfer going on, prolonged use of the internet, or using Google Maps etc (I can replicate the issue every time within 10-15 minutes in Google Maps) - Following the reboot it will go into a loop showing the white HTC screen with the vibrate, screen goes black, the, the white screen and vibrate again. It'll do this several times and if you're lucky will make it through the boot sequence, then reset just before it mounts the SD Card and start again. To stop it you have to take the battery out and let it cool down as the bottom of the phone (around the same area as the SIM and SD card) gets very very hot (far hotter than normal).

Google says we're not alone.

Edited by Cactus42

Guest daveg360
There does appear to be an issue with some Desires out there - I've had to get mine exchanged by Virgin due to the problem. Since rooting the other night I've tried 3 different ROMS all with the same result (Edit - it was doing this before rooting too) :

Phone works fine for days, but it will reboot itself when doing something intensive - this could be texting with a file transfer going on, prolonged use of the internet, or using Google Maps etc (I can replicate the issue every time within 10-15 minutes in Google Maps) - Following the reboot it will go into a loop showing the white HTC screen with the vibrate, screen goes black, the, the white screen and vibrate again. It'll do this several times and if you're lucky will make it through the boot sequence, then reset just before it mounts the SD Card and start again. To stop it you have to take the battery out and let it cool down as the bottom of the phone (around the same area as the SIM and SD card) gets very very hot (far hotter than normal).

Google says we're not alone.

Yep just got a replacement from CPW with the same issue. Had to hold my desire against the vent in my car with the AC on full blast to keep it working whilst I used Google navigation when I got lost the other day. That was the final straw. If you have insurance with CPW - you're entitled to a next day delivered replacement handset. The person I spoke to wasn't immediately forthcoming with this and wanted me to wait 4 weeks - sometimes it pays to complain :lol:

Guest Cactus42
Yep just got a replacement from CPW with the same issue. Had to hold my desire against the vent in my car with the AC on full blast to keep it working whilst I used Google navigation when I got lost the other day. That was the final straw. If you have insurance with CPW - you're entitled to a next day delivered replacement handset. The person I spoke to wasn't immediately forthcoming with this and wanted me to wait 4 weeks - sometimes it pays to complain :lol:

Have to say, kudos to Virgin! informed them yesterday of the issue, had a text back today saying it'll be delivered tomorrow and the faulty one collected (on a Saturday!)

The guy I spoke with was quite helpful and seemed to know his onions. He did say he hadn't come across this before but the description did seem to point to a hardware issue, but i did get an "aaaaahh.... yes." when i pointed him at google.

Anyways I digress. With regard to the OP and returns, it's stated under the sale of goods act that if something is faulty, for the first 6 months you should deal with the point of sale and after directly with the manufacturer however I've found in the past going to the manufacturer to be better if you get the runaround. It's also stated that you should not be charged for returns and repairs for a faulty item under warranty (this differs for insurance claims etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gjc-ortho
Have to say, kudos to Virgin! informed them yesterday of the issue, had a text back today saying it'll be delivered tomorrow and the faulty one collected (on a Saturday!)

The guy I spoke with was quite helpful and seemed to know his onions. He did say he hadn't come across this before but the description did seem to point to a hardware issue, but i did get an "aaaaahh.... yes." when i pointed him at google.

Anyways I digress. With regard to the OP and returns, it's stated under the sale of goods act that if something is faulty, for the first 6 months you should deal with the point of sale and after directly with the manufacturer however I've found in the past going to the manufacturer to be better if you get the runaround. It's also stated that you should not be charged for returns and repairs for a faulty item under warranty (this differs for insurance claims etc).

Anybody continuing to have problems after the phone has been replaced. Mine is just under 3 months old and is being replaced by Vodafone next week; exactly the same problem as described above and on several sites across the net.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hexxen

Greetings!!

I'm also having the freeze problem, I use to be in the 2.1 fw, rooted my phone with Unrevoked3, upgrade the radio with 32.42.00.32U_5.09.00.08.zip and upgrade to froyo using Official_FroYo_Market_fixed.zip both files taken from the XDA forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741775

It was working fine for 2 weeks, but yesterday I was browsing the web in the phone when suddenly restarts, and now it's locked in the white screen with the green HTC letters.

I can enter in FASTBOOT mode, but when I enter the RECOVERY section I'm back in the HTC screen

could I fix the phone by myself? 'cause there's no official carrier where I live (mexico), my phone was imported and I don't even know from where :) (bought it via eBay).

sorry for my english and thanks in advance.