Rooting HTC Hero with OTA 2.1 already updated

Guest eboye

Guest eboye

I`ve "rooted" my Hero with instantroot previously with android 1.5 on it. And as I could tell, it had access to root, and apps that needed root access were running just fine (for example adfree). After that I had updated ROM from HTCs website, and few days ago when 2.1 came ... did that too.

Now I have access to root folder (without doing anything, I assume it preserved root access during update, cuz everything else was preserved), but adfree and some others doesn`t work properly. So I assume that it is not the "root" I need.

I read that after updating with OTA permanently removes root. And that there is no going back.

I`m interested in root access for now only to use apps that need root access. But as I can read that 2.1 is the last version for Hero, maybe I would flash some custom firmwares later.

I found some guides here and on unlockr etc. how to flash ROMs, but I`m not sure if this applies to these new GSM Hero ROM provided by HTC.

If I could get some guides, I would be very much thankful.

Guest 42turkeys
I`ve "rooted" my Hero with instantroot previously with android 1.5 on it. And as I could tell, it had access to root, and apps that needed root access were running just fine (for example adfree). After that I had updated ROM from HTCs website, and few days ago when 2.1 came ... did that too.

Now I have access to root folder (without doing anything, I assume it preserved root access during update, cuz everything else was preserved), but adfree and some others doesn`t work properly. So I assume that it is not the "root" I need.

I read that after updating with OTA permanently removes root. And that there is no going back.

I`m interested in root access for now only to use apps that need root access. But as I can read that 2.1 is the last version for Hero, maybe I would flash some custom firmwares later.

I found some guides here and on unlockr etc. how to flash ROMs, but I`m not sure if this applies to these new GSM Hero ROM provided by HTC.

If I could get some guides, I would be very much thankful.

If you flashed the official HTC WWE OTA update (the one released a few days ago) then just follow the root guide in in my sig.

Guest eboye
If you flashed the official HTC WWE OTA update (the one released a few days ago) then just follow the root guide in in my sig.

Thank you very much, It seems pretty explanatory, so I`ll get my hands dirty :lol: this weekend. Cheers