Tracking internet usage

Guest spammyspam

Guest spammyspam

Just checked my bill and it seems my Desire is downloading around 1mb each night around midnight. Is there any way of me figuring out what program is doing this? Some kind of logger or something?

Will installing droidwall do this?

Edited by spammyspam

Guest LouiS22
Just checked my bill and it seems my Desire is downloading around 1mb each night around midnight. Is there any way of me figuring out what program is doing this? Some kind of logger or something?

Will installing droidwall do this?

I think one of your installed app has a sync set to every 24 hour, or your phone provider's billing system counting this as per day, which ends at 23:59. Check your apps, or install droidwall/no

Guest spammyspam

Actually I tell a lie - it's closer to 10megs per night!

Yes, I'm guessing that it's something on a sync, but I don't know where to look to disable it. My provider bills to the second so it's definitely happening at midnight.

Had a look at droidwall, but I'm not sure how that would allow me to figure this out, other than to try blocking a different program each night!

Guest spammyspam

Okay: using spareparts/*#*#4636#*#* and then battery history/network usage/total in all time I'm finding "media" has used the network the most. Amongst other things, this could be due to schedules FW checks. I've disabled this to see if there's any change.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GoggleEyedSalmon

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

My father is having the same problem with his HTC Hero. Every night at midnight it downloads between 7 and 15 Mb of data. We thought at first it must be a downloaded app but looking at the itemised bill it appears it has been doing it since the day he got it, long before he downloaded any apps. Unfortunately he has had to resort to turning off the data connection as his last 2 bills have been over £500.

Is this something that Android phones just do? Is it possible to stop it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Guest spammyspam

I would have thought it would be easy enough to log internet access, but oh well. If you've rooted you could use something like droidwall to lock it all down.

Btw in my case it seems that I'm billed each time the APN connection is closed. IOW I was often looking at my daily usage.

The point still stands though. Between this and how Android apps can't be closed down for sure, it's a disaster waiting to happen imo.

Guest GoggleEyedSalmon

It's not rooted. I don't know much about Android but I guess I'll do some research and see about monitoring the connection, maybe I can figure out what it is.

Thanks for the reply.