My Hero wont even look for an update!

Guest Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

Hello

had a Hero from Carphone Warehouse in the UK on Vodafone for a few months. Been waiting for the 2.1 update and its now here... somewhere.

All the tech site articles have been saying about the next time my phone looks for an update, it'll find the update and offer to do it OTA. So far, nothing has happened... I have also read about TWO updates and you need to apply one before the other or something like that.

I have found on the HTC website various notifications of updated ROMs but i am unsure which one to apply so i thought i'd leave it up to the phone to tell me which one and do it itself rather than have me try to blow the wrong one in from PC.

so the 2.1 update for 'generic' Heros (mine is not branded in any way that i can see, not even a Vodafone sticker!) hasnt happened for me and i want it!! I have tried the 'trick' of changing the date forward a year on the phone to force a update chedck but that didnt make any difference. Is there a way i can manually check for an update?

i'm only interested in the offical 2.1 ROM, as much as i'm sure the custom ones are very well put together andare rock solid, i cant be doing with all this rooting malarkey...

even if 2.1 didnt apply to the phone it still does everything i need it to do and lots of things i want it to do. 2.1 will add more to the 'wants' side of things so i'll persevere for a while longer before forgetting about it and getting on something more important...... like crashing my new RC helicopter!! :lol:

hope someone can help me out here!

Ta!

Guest Dan Mullen
Hello

had a Hero from Carphone Warehouse in the UK on Vodafone for a few months. Been waiting for the 2.1 update and its now here... somewhere.

All the tech site articles have been saying about the next time my phone looks for an update, it'll find the update and offer to do it OTA. So far, nothing has happened... I have also read about TWO updates and you need to apply one before the other or something like that.

I have found on the HTC website various notifications of updated ROMs but i am unsure which one to apply so i thought i'd leave it up to the phone to tell me which one and do it itself rather than have me try to blow the wrong one in from PC.

so the 2.1 update for 'generic' Heros (mine is not branded in any way that i can see, not even a Vodafone sticker!) hasnt happened for me and i want it!! I have tried the 'trick' of changing the date forward a year on the phone to force a update chedck but that didnt make any difference. Is there a way i can manually check for an update?

i'm only interested in the offical 2.1 ROM, as much as i'm sure the custom ones are very well put together andare rock solid, i cant be doing with all this rooting malarkey...

even if 2.1 didnt apply to the phone it still does everything i need it to do and lots of things i want it to do. 2.1 will add more to the 'wants' side of things so i'll persevere for a while longer before forgetting about it and getting on something more important...... like crashing my new RC helicopter!! :lol:

hope someone can help me out here!

Ta!

Not sure but won't you have to wait for a Vodafone-approved firmware update? That is what Orange, T-Mobile etc. do.

Guest Samsonite

you see, thats another question i hadnt considered!! does the update come from the Network provider or direct from HTC? or Google cos its their OS??

its all far too confusing...

Guest Lordsmiff

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Vodafone do a branded Hero - you're most likely to have an unbranded HTC Hero (in white?) (my wife has a hero on Vodafone).

I would think you could use the files off HTC's website to do the update...

Cheers,

Smiffy.

Guest Samsonite

i'm as certain as i can be that its a non-branded device. Its a brown one...

i know the files are on the website but like i say, its not clear to me how to do it, there's two updates, right? which one do i do first? and is it as straight forward as connecting the phone to the pc, dragging the files (whichever ones i end up choosing) onto the root of the SD card and then opening the file?if i do it wrong, will i brick the phone?

all these q's mean that i'm more inclined to let the phone tell me what it wants to do and simply let it. But its now July 1st and so far, the phone has not checked for any relevant updates!