question about 2.2 on our Heros

Guest aquatroll

Guest aquatroll

I need to ask this and see if it could be done

If the news are true and the Dream/Magic are going to get 2.2 and the are barely the same hardware, would it be posible to get a sense-less 2.2 easily? :lol:

I didn't find any info on the forums and I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

I need to ask this and see if it could be done

If the news are true and the Dream/Magic are going to get 2.2 and the are barely the same hardware, would it be posible to get a sense-less 2.2 easily? :lol:

I didn't find any info on the forums and I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

You can use Google's SDK and install 2.2 on Hero, and there are Youtube videos that show this running, its useless except as a concept.

When one of the manufacturers upgrades a phone that is close to the Hero in hardware, then the 2.2 ROM will have some semblance of being useful.

HTC have their own agenda, and by the time they release 2.2, 3.0 will be released and everyone will be wondering why they don't have 3.0 on their phones.

Guest Rubber Ducky

It would be possible, but there is always the driver issue. Vanilla Android ROM's do not have the HTC Hero drivers built in.

Guest aquatroll

Thanks all for the answers.

I understand that until the official 2.2 android rom for the Magic and it's kernel sources are out (if they ever get out) my question is nonsense.

But looking at the specs of the magic and the hero (Specs comparation), the official build and kernel sources should come with usefull drivers (except for the camera) for our Hero.

I know the other way round is not posible because of memory issues (the Hero's got more) but didn't find anyone (or thread) exploring this option for the future.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, I'm from the PC OSs and, there it would be flawless but don't know if I'm missing something here in the mobile world.

Edit: dyslexia

Edited by aquatroll

Guest Lox-
Thanks all for the answers.

I understand that until the official 2.2 android rom for the Magic and it's kernel sources are out (if they ever get out) my question is nonsense.

But looking at the specs of the magic and the hero (Specs comparation), the official build and kernel sources should come with usefull drivers (except for the camera) for our Hero.

I know the other way round is not posible because of memory issues (the Hero's got more) but didn't find anyone (or thread) exploring this option for the future.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, I'm from the PC OSs and, there it would be flawless but don't know if I'm missing something here in the mobile world.

Edit: dyslexia

Preview release is out enjoy: http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67817

Guest neoclassic

I took cyanogen's GSM Hero 6.0 ROM for a test drive today.

It's Froyo and it--IS--FAST.

Does MoDaCo/Paul have any plans to make a 2.2-based rom? I prefer Sense.

Guest Dr. dre
I took cyanogen's GSM Hero 6.0 ROM for a test drive today.

It's Froyo and it--IS--FAST.

Does MoDaCo/Paul have any plans to make a 2.2-based rom? I prefer Sense.

Is it stable enough for daily use ? I wanted to try but only the stability question is stopping me from trying it.

Guest neoclassic
Is it stable enough for daily use ? I wanted to try but only the stability question is stopping me from trying it.

It is stable enough for daily use, although there are some bugs here and there. I'm sure the mods cyanogen will have things sorted out soon. I switched back though because I'm more used to Sense.

If you don't use the camera you are probably fine.

I'm sure there will be other problems as more people test it.

Guest lupinehorror

i'm using it as my main rom (for the moment anyway). it is fast and i'm not missing sense at all (although i'll admit that i do have a soft spot for the htc clock with the weather feature!). the led doesn't change to orange when charging (stays green) and i've had some problems with tasks not being properly killed by task manager (it says they're killed but they're not really).

all in all it's very usable...like the 270 degree rotation...new features in the market...wifi's fine...

am looking forward to see how it develops.

Edited by lupinehorror

Guest zorm
although i'll admit that i do have a soft spot for the htc clock with the weather feature!

am looking forward to see how it develops.

Have you tried Beautiful Widgets? That has a skinable home widget which combines clock & weather. Skins can be downloaded via the widget settings & there's even an 'htc clone' skin available (though not through the usual means, as HTC asked for it to be removed; you'll have to google to find that skin).

Guest movetorecyclebin

The 2.2 from cyanogen can be used daily. I have seen many 2.1 close to that result.

However, it seems a little bit battery consuming.

Guest jeroenhero
The 2.2 from cyanogen can be used daily. I have seen many 2.1 close to that result.

However, it seems a little bit battery consuming.

Have been running Cyanogen 6 on my Hero (gsm) for three days now. Battery was still above 50% after a full day yesterday, have even left GPS on. It's a wonderful thing.

Guest jonathanmusto
Have been running Cyanogen 6 on my Hero (gsm) for three days now. Battery was still above 50% after a full day yesterday, have even left GPS on. It's a wonderful thing.

Damn you!.. I've been resiting the temptation to try this for days now (waiting for them to fix the camera) but i may just have to take the plunge...

Guest jonathanmusto

How's the browser, is it fast?

Guest conord
How's the browser, is it fast?

Browser is quick, along with the rest of the ROM, it's tidy, and 3D gallery was working fast...

I can also confirm that it fixes the bluetooth issue where the phone will pair but not connect to certain devices... (i.e. Car Kits etc)

Paul, is it possible to hash the 2.2 bluetooth in to the next 2.1 build?? I had a look at Cyanogen's and it has all the bluetooth libraries available, I take it you can more or less drop the 2.2 on top of the 2.1??

Guest movetorecyclebin

Do you have something special ? app killing software, no wireless .... ?

With normal use (few internet 3G and/or wifi, sometimes GPS) I can't have more than a day :)