2.1 from swedish operator Tre

Guest 4nders

how does the 2.1 tre rom with root and a2sd work? Is it as stable as the original 2.1 tre ROM?

maybe someone want to write a complete guide on how to update your phone to the 2.1 tre ROM with a2sd and root. what do you have to do before you update? nandroid? amon-ra? other backup? partition your sd for the a2sd? that is the questions I have seen you talking about and also those questions holding me back from updating to this ROM :)

Guest Azurren
how does the 2.1 tre rom with root and a2sd work? Is it as stable as the original 2.1 tre ROM?

maybe someone want to write a complete guide on how to update your phone to the 2.1 tre ROM with a2sd and root. what do you have to do before you update? nandroid? amon-ra? other backup? partition your sd for the a2sd? that is the questions I have seen you talking about and also those questions holding me back from updating to this ROM :)

Try this. Just download the Tre rom instead of the Hungary rom

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e-owners-guide/

Guest daveycarter

Got the stock Swedish rom working fine, even got it rooted by using and app I flashed from zip (found on one of the posts on this forum).

I'd like to just put apps to SD on it but can't seem to find anything that works. Tried the ROM earlier on in thi thread but it just bricked my phone when I flashed it from zip. Is there a way of just getting A2SD working without installing another ROM?

Barnacle is working great (using it right now on my netbook to write this!)

Cheers :)

Guest ArcticFox

Yeah how do you get a2sd working, i tried flashing the rooted rom that had a2sd already installed earlier.

D:\Pulse\android-sdk_r06-windows\tools>adb shell

# /system/bin/a2sd install

/system/bin/a2sd install

[ ] Launching Darktremor A2SD

Starting Darktremor A2SD version 2.7 Update 3r1

[ ] Mounting /system as read-write

[ ] Starting A2SD in install mode

[ ] Running A2SD Setup Program.

[ ] Searching for Mount Point...

[!] Mount point found..no further action required.

[ ] Remounting /system to read-write

[ ] Checking for ext partition

[*] Ext partition found and already mounted.

[ ] Installing A2SD Links...

[ ] Removing No A2SD flag file.

rm: cannot remove '/system/sd/.noa2sd': No such file or directory

[ ] Remounting /system as read-only.

[ ] Setting File System Ready property to 1.

[ ] Remounting /system to read-only.

#

SD Card is partitioned and i have rebooted lots of times but its still only showing internal memory.

Edited by ArcticFox

Guest Azurren
how did I miss that guide!? ;-)

but sine I am from Sweden I already have the official 2.1 tre ROM can I then just skip the chapter "installing the official 2.1 update"?

Also, can I follow this guide with a u8220 from Sweden?

Yeah sure, just try installing a custom rom :)

If it all goes to pot then you can always just re-flash the 2.1 update, no harm done

Guest Otto222

Bug: previously saved sim contacts won't copy, they are shown on memory status, but won't show or copy, "no contacts". New ones can be saved to sim. This was not a problem in 1.5 or hungarian 2.1

Bug: APN won't save. I choose save, but the list is still empty.

Guest veggie_d

maybe someone want to write a complete guide on how to update your phone to the 2.1 tre ROM with a2sd and root. what do you have to do before you update? nandroid? amon-ra? other backup? partition your sd for the a2sd? that is the questions I have seen you talking about and also those questions holding me back from updating to this ROM :angry:

Ok. I had a some spare time at work today, decided to give this a shot (the stuff I found in the "swedish Tre 2.1 Vs Hungarian 2.1?" thread). Here's what I did:

1. Installed Amon Ra recovery stuff as per instructions found elsewhere in this forum.

2. Made a nandroid backup and backed up my sd card to computer. (Do not forget this step).

3. Partitioned the card (default values, I believe they were 32M swap, 512M ext2, rest FAT32). Upgraded the ext2 partition to ext3, although I can't remember if I read anywhere whether that's needed or unnecessary.

4. Flashed the updated boot image that flibblesan first provided.

5. Rebooted and got stuck at Android logo (before it starts to animate).

6. Used adb shell + a2sd check to try to figure out what was or wasn't happening.

7. A2sd check hinted that I had no /mount/sd mount point. Seconds after, the Android logo started animating and the phone came alive.

8. Ran a2sd install, after which I did have a /mount/sd mount point.

9. Rebooted, again got stuck exactly like before. Again, kick-started the system by running a2sd check.

10. This time, I was informed that the sd card hadn't been cleanly unmounted, and a2sd hinted that the rom might not support it at all. Which I guess I might have guessed after step 7, since the installation should have happened automatically (or so I gather).

11. Thought "what the hell".

12. Rebooted to recovery, re-partitioned the sd card exactly like before, wiped everything and flashed the Tre rom with added su and a2sd that flibblesan provided later in the aforementioned thread.

13. Rebooted and this time it started hassle-free.

14. Immediately after reboot, new recovery reboot and nandroid backup taken.

15. Ran a2sd check and a2sd cache.

16. Spent a lot of time pulling a crapload of apps from the market.

17. Smiled in rejoicement at how insanely good my phone has become over the last few weeks. Also, had a beer to celebrate.

I'm on a swedish handset, bought from Tre. Had the original 1.5 firmware, upgraded to official 2.1 when that came out (never tried any of the home-brewed stuff). My SD card is a Kingston class 4, 4Gb one, cheap and not very good I imagine. Still the phone seems to be able to run very well with the Dalvik cache moved to the card. I've got ~75Mb free internal memory now. The system is responsive enough, I can't really tell any difference in that respect from the original official Tre 2.1 update. It might be that the home screen is a little less laggy when coming back to it after running an app, which I suspect is thanks to the swap partition (I must say I was slightly hesitant to using one in the first place, since at least in theory it will make Android's own methods of dealing with low-memory situations work suboptimally. So far, I'm happy though).

All in all, I've spent the better part of the day on this, obviously time well spent. Thanks are due to flibblesan for providing the upgraded rom, and to the people who wrote the various guides and instructions I had to read in order to understand wth Amon Ra, Nandroid and whatnot really are. Thank you. You'll sleep well knowing that you've helped a poor sod in Sweden feel like he ripped Tre off with this piece of machinery that they should have charged at least twice the price for.

Oh, and that nandroid backup stuff is a gem. Just for the peace of mind, I mean. To put it in some sort of perspective, last Friday my laptop went dead with an overheated GPU, and HP promptly declared they wouldn't fix it since the warranty had expired. So, I thought I'd fix it myself. The issue with this particular line of laptops is that when the GPU overheats, the solderballs will liquify and the chip will lose contact with the PCB (dunno if it's physically "falling down", since the motherboard is mounted upside down, or if the solderballs oxidise, but the solution is the same regardless of which). I knew I'd have to reflow the chip, and I found a guide on Youtube by someone who apparently does this sort of thing for a living. It was a good 18 minutes of video, and obviously I'd watch a minute, do what he did, watch another minute and so on, basically following the instructions in short bursts. They involve heat-shielding other components and literally torching the GPU with an open flame, heating it to the solderball melting point but not enough to crack the chip.. not for the weak of heart, mind you. Anyway, toward the very end of the video, just when the guy has finished reassembly, he says "do NOT attempt to do this if you're not VERY experienced with this kind of operations". Holy crap I almost fell of my chair.. why he'd mention that in the END of the video I'll never know. Luckily, everything went alright and I'm typing this on my newly fixed machine heh.

Guest whackster
Ok. I had a some spare time at work today, decided to give this a shot (the stuff I found in the "swedish Tre 2.1 Vs Hungarian 2.1?" thread). Here's what I did:

There are a couple quite good guides you should follow, just search here (I think there are eve pinned ones) :angry:

You made a mistake setting the swap size, and that's probably messing with a2sd, set the swap to 0.

Guest Steven Lloyd

every time i do this (back to 1.5 then dec then 2.1 tre) it lasts two reboots and the touch screen stops working (along with i cannot get usb work on any pc mac,linux does not show the four unknown devices only one)

starting to think there is a bigger issue with this phone what does everyone else's water damage indicator look like (though hole top left of back of phone) mine is red square with white ether side ??

Guest Simon O
starting to think there is a bigger issue with this phone what does everyone else's water damage indicator look like (though hole top left of back of phone) mine is red square with white ether side ??

The same. The sensor on the right is completely white. The one that is red has always been red ever since I got the phone. Didn't even know it was a water damage sensor.

Edit: Actually everything I've read states the moisture sensor is the white dot on the right. No mention of the red square inside.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest veggie_d
There are a couple quite good guides you should follow, just search here (I think there are eve pinned ones) :D

You made a mistake setting the swap size, and that's probably messing with a2sd, set the swap to 0.

Yes, those are the ones I followed. I'm one of those guys though who don't really care for blindly following instructions without knowing what exactly it is I'm doing, so I had to read a little more than what could be found in those guides first. Just saying "do a nandroid backup" isn't gonna cut it for me, and neither is "flash from recovery". Got it sorted in the end though :angry:

Regarding the swap, there are heaps of conflicting instructions on that matter. Some say "do", others say "don't", nobody attempts to explain WHY you should use one (or not). I figured that a swap partition would likely mess a little bit with Android's own ways of handling OOM situtations, but that it would be worth a try anyway. Android's way is good enough in most cases, but killing processes and saving their states also means that for instance a killed browser will have to reload everything when you return to it. With the low amount of RAM in our devices, you don't have to keep too many things going before you'll start to notice little nuisances like that one, and I just thought a swap partition would allow Android to actually swap out the browser instead of killing it, meaning that the already loaded pages would still be there when you return to it. So far, it's working like a charm. Returning to the home screen used to take several seconds, now the delay is barely noticeable, and that's probably thanks to the swap. Haven't come across anything (yet) that would make me want to remove the swap partition.

Guest Evil Disco Guy

I like the Tre ROM as far as stability. I'm able to listen to music, read a Kindle book and scrobble in the background with no real problems. It's a lot slower than the custom ROMs though. I've even installed ADW and enabled persistence mode.

I'd trade speed for stability any day.

Guest Steven Lloyd
The same. The sensor on the right is completely white. The one that is red has always been red ever since I got the phone. Didn't even know it was a water damage sensor.

Edit: Actually everything I've read states the moisture sensor is the white dot on the right. No mention of the red square inside.

ah cool thats pure white but theres def something up with this phone apart from the usb issue takes AGES to charge and went from full at 7am to about 27% at 6pm today with very little use hmmmm........

Edited by Steven Lloyd

Guest whackster
Yes, those are the ones I followed. I'm one of those guys though who don't really care for blindly following instructions without knowing what exactly it is I'm doing, so I had to read a little more than what could be found in those guides first. Just saying "do a nandroid backup" isn't gonna cut it for me, and neither is "flash from recovery". Got it sorted in the end though :angry:

Regarding the swap, there are heaps of conflicting instructions on that matter. Some say "do", others say "don't", nobody attempts to explain WHY you should use one (or not). I figured that a swap partition would likely mess a little bit with Android's own ways of handling OOM situtations, but that it would be worth a try anyway. Android's way is good enough in most cases, but killing processes and saving their states also means that for instance a killed browser will have to reload everything when you return to it. With the low amount of RAM in our devices, you don't have to keep too many things going before you'll start to notice little nuisances like that one, and I just thought a swap partition would allow Android to actually swap out the browser instead of killing it, meaning that the already loaded pages would still be there when you return to it. So far, it's working like a charm. Returning to the home screen used to take several seconds, now the delay is barely noticeable, and that's probably thanks to the swap. Haven't come across anything (yet) that would make me want to remove the swap partition.

Yeah, those are the benefits of having an additional swap partition, however until we get the kernel source for our lovely Pulses it simply doesn't do anything. Other than messing with the partition numbering and with a2sd. :D

Guest veggie_d
Yeah, those are the benefits of having an additional swap partition, however until we get the kernel source for our lovely Pulses it simply doesn't do anything. Other than messing with the partition numbering and with a2sd. :angry:

You sure about that? It's gotta do something, my phone is noticeably less laggy coming back to the home screen with a2sd swap enabled. After reading your post, I did a2sd noswap, and the lagginess came back. It's like a 2-4 second hesitation before the home screen becomes visible (and responsive) with swap disabled, way under a second with it enabled. No, I haven't tried to measure anything, but the difference is much too noticeable for it to be dismissed as placebo.

Guest whackster
You sure about that? It's gotta do something, my phone is noticeably less laggy coming back to the home screen with a2sd swap enabled. After reading your post, I did a2sd noswap, and the lagginess came back. It's like a 2-4 second hesitation before the home screen becomes visible (and responsive) with swap disabled, way under a second with it enabled. No, I haven't tried to measure anything, but the difference is much too noticeable for it to be dismissed as placebo.

There is no support for swap in 2.1, simply because we don't have the kernel source.

Guest veggie_d
There is no support for swap in 2.1, simply because we don't have the kernel source.

Ok, and if we don't have the source, how do we know there's no support? I have a really hard time believing that there's literally no difference between swap and noswap, when in practice one yields seconds-long latencies whereas the other doesn't. So, unless "a2sd swap" and "noswap" enables/disables something else besides the swap partition, I just don't see why the system behaves differently depending on the setting.

Guest Simon O
Ok, and if we don't have the source, how do we know there's no support?

Kernel configuration tells us what is enabled and what isn't. In terms of swap, this is quite obvious:

# CONFIG_SWAP is not set

that is taken from the kernel config which you can download at http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1348793

the kernel config tells the compiler exactly what should be enabled and what sould be disabled in the kernel whilst it's compiled. So it's not a simple cause of enabling swap, it's physically not compiled in to the kernel.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest veggie_d
Kernel configuration tells us what is enabled and what isn't. In terms of swap, this is quite obvious:

# CONFIG_SWAP is not set

that is taken from the kernel config which you can download at http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1348793

the kernel config tells the compiler exactly what should be enabled and what sould be disabled in the kernel whilst it's compiled. So it's not a simple cause of enabling swap, it's physically not compiled in to the kernel.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Ok so the config spec is available post-build too, that's neat. I'm quite satisfied there's no swap in this kernel (actually whackster was convincing enough, I realise now that my question could be interpreted as somewhat of a challenge of his statement, when in fact I just wanted to know how you can tell from a pre-built kernel what it supports and what it doesn't).

It's gotta be something else that goes on behind the scene, but I don't really care what it is - swap is enabled and things go smoother. That's all I care about atm :angry:

Guest Krinyo

Is there a way to repartition an SD card without loosing it's ext partition data? :angry: I mean delete fat, add swap, and recreate fat... with windows. :D

I wanna try this swap thing, but i don't want to reinstall every bit of my programs...

Guest gusthy

Usually this is the result of switching the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ local property value to 1.

Isn't it possible, that A2SD script also switches this flag when enabling swap? It would be logical.

Edited by gusthy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krinyo

I changed back to the flibble's rooted tre kernel, 'cause the stability. It's really good.

Flashed the latest A2SD, and when runned a2sd command, i've got: "swapon: function not implemented"... so i think it's really doesn't matter, A2SD swap is enabled or not...

• 1 month later...