O2's New Tariffs for July

Guest CrashCursor

Guest CrashCursor

Just picked up the new O2 Freebie Magazine in shop today and noticed the new tariffs for the Dell Streak.

Voice and Data:

O2 100 - £25 - 24 months - 100 minutes - Unlimited texts - 500MB Data - 16GB Streak=£149 - 32GB Streak=£249.

O2 300 - £30 - 24 months - 300 minutes - Unlimited texts - 500MB Data - 16GB Streak=£59 - 32GB Streak=£149.

O2 600 - £35 - 24 months - 600 minutes - Unlimited texts - 750MB Data - 16GB Streak=£Free - 32GB Streak=£89.

O2 900 - £40 - 24 months - 900 minutes - Unlimited texts - 750MB Data - 16GB Streak=£Free - 32GB Streak=£59.

O2 1200 - £45 - 24 months - 1200 minutes - Unlimited texts - 750MB Data - 16GB Streak=£Free - 32GB Streak=£Free.

O2 Unlimited - £60 - 24 months - Unlimited minutes - Unlimited texts - 1GB Data - 16GB Streak=£Free - 32GB Streak=£Free.

Good to see the 32GB version is available but I think I will go for the O2 100 - I will request my PAC code now and can get £80 for my old phone, so I am glad I waited a month from when the Streak first came out.

In case anyone asks - NO, I don't work for O2 (I had an idea if I waited the the price would come down).

Regards,

Crash Cursor

Guest Dogmann55

@CrashCursor

Sorry maybe I'm being dumb but i got my Streak on release and also picked up the Streak brochure before mine arrived and the brochure i have shows exactly the same prices as you have just quoted so what price reduction are you talking about? in fact the brochure i have still shows the Data as unlimited as opposed to 500mb, 750mb or 1GB. So i just don't see any price reduction at all although i believe the unlimited data on those contracts is only valid until October 1st when it will then be the same as you have now quoted.

As it happens due to the fact i still have 8 months left on my Orange contract i bought mine over the phone from CPW on the £25pm 24 month Mobile Broadband contract with 3GB data per month and my Streak for free and just cancelled the data on that contract and am using it just for voice now with a Nokia Sirocco as that suits me best.

Marc

Guest m4tt24
O2 600 - £35 - 24 months - 600 minutes - Unlimited texts - 750MB Data - 16GB Streak=£Free - 32GB Streak=£89.

That's the same price as i paid at release + the unlimited data not 750mb,

I got my streak a day or so after release and have been assured twice now by o2 CS that my unlimited will run for the full term of my contract, from what i can gather anybody that purchases a new tariff from june 24th or upgrade after this date will have the new capped data plans but they won't fully be enforced until Oct, anybody that signed up before that date will still have the unlimited until they change their contract or upgrade.

Edited by m4tt24

Guest deekarma
I got my streak (unlimited data) a day or so after release and have been assured twice now by o2 CS that my unlimited will run for the full term of my contract, from what i can gather anybody that purchases a new tariff from june 24th or upgrade after this date will have the new capped data plans but they won't fully be enforced until Oct, anybody that signed up before that date will still have the unlimited until they change their contract or upgrade.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-working/2010/06/10/ o2-drops- unlimited-mobile- data-allowance-40089205/

Yeah, I concur, early streakers have unlimited data and are much better off given that the new tarrifs are same price but data is limited.

Anyone think charging 100 quid extra to extend the gigabittage by 32 is so very typically dell right now. Cant believe the profits they are making on accessories!

Guest Metoo
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-working/2010/06/10/ o2-drops- unlimited-mobile- data-allowance-40089205/

Yeah, I concur, early streakers have unlimited data and are much better off given that the new tarrifs are same price but data is limited.

Anyone think charging 100 quid extra to extend the gigabittage by 32 is so very typically dell right now. Cant believe the profits they are making on accessories!

Yep, prices exactly same as day 1, except you now get less (data) for your money.

O2 Blog 3 June 2010

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/06/here-comes-the-streak.html

24 month smartphone tariffs

Included minutes Included data & Wi-Fi Included texts Monthly cost Streak 16GB cost Streak 32GB cost

100 Unlimited Unlimited £25 £149 £249

300 Unlimited Unlimited £30 £59 £149

600 Unlimited Unlimited £35 Free £89

900 Unlimited Unlimited £40 Free £59

1200 Unlimited Unlimited £45 Free Free

Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited £60 Free Free

Edited by Metoo

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Actually deekarma it's worse then that depending on the tariff it's actually another £100 at the worst to £59 at best but it's only actually for an extra 16GB and although they are advertising it they don't even have any with the 32GB cards anyway not sure why they bother advertising it really.

Now i don't want to alarm you guys and i know you have been told that your existing Unlimited Data deals will continue but that's not what the 02 press release said it actually says

"Existing unlimited data customers sticking to their current plan will still receive the same service as they do now, at least until 1 October. They’ll then be able to buy O2 Bolt Ons which include 500MB of data for £5, or 1GB for £10."

There will be no Unlimited Data on any tariff even if it is on an existing contract as 02 are also claiming.

"O2’s press release also points out that 500MB of data is 2.5 times that used by the average customer, and that the dropping of unlimited data bundles would leave 97 percent of its customers unaffected, based on current usage patterns."

I read the full story here on ElectricPig and although it mentions the iPhone launch date as that's the date from when it comes into effect it applies to all their smart phone tariffs but you can read the whole thing here

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/06/10/o2...e-for-iphone-4/

I would suggest checking with 02 billing in advance and if they say it will remain Unlimited to try and get them to send you something confirming it in writing to be safe, it's yet another reason i am glad i went for a Mobile Broadband tariff that gives me a clearly defined 3GB per month.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest popetodd

Yeah, I got my Streak the day it came out. Grabbed one for the wife as well.

We both got the unlimited data plans for the next 18 months.

Been watching my usage pretty closely though and I am way under 500Mb a month on this thing and I use it pretty heavily.

That may change if I start using it to tether but I doubt I will go over the 500Mb anyway, I have a huge amount of headroom right now as is.

Guest Metoo
Hi all,

Actually deekarma it's worse then that depending on the tariff it's actually another £100 at the worst to £59 at best but it's only actually for an extra 16GB and although they are advertising it they don't even have any with the 32GB cards anyway not sure why they bother advertising it really.

Now i don't want to alarm you guys and i know you have been told that your existing Unlimited Data deals will continue but that's not what the 02 press release said it actually says

"Existing unlimited data customers sticking to their current plan will still receive the same service as they do now, at least until 1 October. They’ll then be able to buy O2 Bolt Ons which include 500MB of data for £5, or 1GB for £10."

There will be no Unlimited Data on any tariff even if it is on an existing contract as 02 are also claiming.

"O2’s press release also points out that 500MB of data is 2.5 times that used by the average customer, and that the dropping of unlimited data bundles would leave 97 percent of its customers unaffected, based on current usage patterns."

I read the full story here on ElectricPig and although it mentions the iPhone launch date as that's the date from when it comes into effect it applies to all their smart phone tariffs but you can read the whole thing here

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/06/10/o2...e-for-iphone-4/

I would suggest checking with 02 billing in advance and if they say it will remain Unlimited to try and get them to send you something confirming it in writing to be safe, it's yet another reason i am glad i went for a Mobile Broadband tariff that gives me a clearly defined 3GB per month.

Marc

ElectricPig are notorious for misquoting and getting things wrong - and for not correcting their FUD even when errors are pointed out.

O2 have stated several times that users on contracts before Jun 24 stay on their original terms until they take out a new contract or upgrade.

The Press Release, if you read the original rather than ElectricPig's paraphrasing, actually says:

"New and upgrading customers will continue to receive unlimited data as a promotion until 1 October. From that date, they will be able to buy additional data Bolt Ons which include 500MB for £5 or 1GB for £10 and O2 will ensure customers have the ability to easily monitor their use by sending them regular text messages.

All O2 customers will continue to receive unlimited Wi-Fi through The Cloud and BT Openzone hotspots.

Existing customers will continue under their present terms
, unlimited data usage with an Excessive Use Policy."

http://mediacentre.o2.co.uk/Press-Releases...-model-2a3.aspx

This was also confirmed in the Q&A following the CEO's posting on O2's official blog.

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/06/offering...obile-data.html

"Will customers on old "unlimited" data contracts be forced to move to a capped limit once there minimum term has expired.

Posted by: Andrew | 10 June 2010 at 05:15 PM

Hi Andrew -
if you're on an existing contract then you're welcome to stay on that for as long as you like
. If you upgrade to a new phone however you would need to move to a new tariff.

Posted by: O2 | 10 June 2010 at 05:20 PM"

Edited by Metoo

Guest Dogmann55

Hi metoo,

OK i accept that but have you actually tried to get a straight answer from anyone at 02 as to what they deem to be excessive usage? because before i chose which contract was going to be best for me i tried several times and was never able to get an exact answer or directed to anything that could confirm it in writing. I was told everything from 500mb to 1GB and then also as long as it's not excessive but they couldn't tell me what was excessive. It's one of the main reasons i decided to chose the Mobile Broadband tariff so i would actually know exactly what the amount of data i would have available was. Anyway in a few months we will see how this all works out but either way thankfully i don't need to worry about it and i hope none of you do either but to be honest unlike some of the other Android handsets i haven't found the Streak to be sending or receiving large amounts of unaccounted for data especially as i no longer use Twitter or Facebook and currently being unwell means I'm home a lot more than usual so mainly on WiFi anyway.

Marc

Guest CrashCursor
I got my Streak for free with 300 texts, 3GB data (no minutes) for £25 a month.

I was aware that you could get this tariff at launch, but it has no voice minutes. The fact that O2 are doing 100 minutes for £25 was news to me.

I agree that the extra £100 for the 32GB version looks like a rip-off.

Guest jutley

32gb vershon you mean they just put a 32gb micro sd inside which they buy in bulk so cost them next to nothing and then charge the customer £100 no thanks i got the Streak for free with 300 texts, 3GB data (no minutes) for £25 a month.

Edited by jutley

Guest zigzagindex

why not just buy the streak directly from Dell unlocked (£449) and get a PAYG sim from TESCO/giffgaff? They have better deal I think.

The total cost is: 449+240 = £689 (assuming 24 months)

Edited by zigzagindex

Guest chopper70

I got mine on an 18 month contract with 600 mins unlimited texts and 1gb data for £40 a month and a free streak.

Great phone shame about the keyboard but I suppose I'll get used to it

Guest Dogmann55

@zigzagindex

Well for me it's because i really don't use that many minutes most of my calls are incoming and i hardly use any texts at all so in my case my total cost spread over 24 months is £600 and a free Streak with no upfront outlay plus of course I've got the 3GB of Data per month. Once my current Orange contract expires i will just use a PAYG Sim for voice which will reduce my cost further there really is little point in me spending extra per month on voice minutes and texts i just don't need and it's taken me a while to realise this. But the data for £150 more than just buying the Streak outright over 2yrs is definitely worth while for me but we all we have different needs and use so their really is no right or wrong deal only what best for each of us.

Marc

Guest Metoo

@ Dogmann55

The reason they never defined a limit previously (although it was quoted anywhere between 200MB-500MB) is that O2 used to use discretion on who was doing "Excessive use/ Fair Usage", i.e. who was hammering the network by constant streaming/file sharing or was tethering to a PC which was never within the FUP and contract terms.

Like a lot of things in life, it you push for a definitive answer as to what you can or cannot do as rules are vague, you will end up with much more restrictive answer because the respondent has been forced to make a legal stance.

That's why O2 up to now never quoted a hard limit as that would have penalised acceptable users who had just strayed above the average usage. "Fair usage" was a gentlemans' agreement with a quiet word if you were spoiling it for others - now the complainents have forced everybody into a situation where hard rules have had to be applied to by the corporate lawyers due to the abuse by a few s.

The difference now is that you get charged for every MB above the limit, whereas before you got a text advice you to tone it down as every usage pattern was assessed on it merits. That obviously is much more expensive to run (requiring human analysis) than an automated billing system that charged for every byte above a hard limit (as the likes of 3 have always done).

That said you've no real chance of going over unless you're constantly streaming the likes of Last.FM, Spotify, TVCatchup and YouTube etc. These were never part of the original "unlimited" web browsing and email concept so it's no surprise operators are clamping down due to the explosion of such bandwidth heavy applications (especially with the explosive growth of media-orientated feature phones and smartphones where such applications are now the norm).

Edited by Metoo

Guest mobiholic

I was going to take the consumer £25pm 3GB data, 500mb wifi, 300txts 24month contract but when I went into the O2 store I left with the Business tariff instead.

For £30pm (or around £25 minus VAT) it offers 3GB data, unlimited wifi, 300 txts AND an upgrade after 12months.

I will probably not benefit from the increased wifi allowance but I consider a 12month upgrade worth the extra £5pm so it was a no brainer for me. I never asked about the tariff, it was recommended to me by the in store advisor and it is being given out even if you don't buy it for business! One other benefit is that if you need to call customer services from a landline the number to call is free if you are on a business tariff, not an extra that's worth paying more per month for (saynoto0870.com does the same job) but a nice hassle free perk when you consider you are charged for the same thing on a consumer tariff.

Edited by mobiholic

Guest deekarma
I got mine on an 18 month contract with 600 mins unlimited texts and 1gb data for £40 a month and a free streak.

Great phone shame about the keyboard but I suppose I'll get used to it

Don't like the keyboard? Get a new one!

Guest chrisms_cotland

Looks like I might be simply swapping my Desire for a Streak from someone who can't get on with it, but it is locked to O2, am I able to just get a 30 day mobile broadband sim and use that?

Guest vinokirk
Looks like I might be simply swapping my Desire for a Streak from someone who can't get on with it, but it is locked to O2, am I able to just get a 30 day mobile broadband sim and use that?

Yeah of course!