Advice coming from HTC Desire

Guest chrisms_cotland

Guest chrisms_cotland

I've seriously considering selling my HTC Desire and buying the Streak.

I use my Desire more as an internet device than a phone as I have a Nokia E72 that I use for all my calls and texting, the Desire is really for music, movies, email and the internet.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the move from Desire or Nexus One to the Streak and how have you found it?

Chris

Guest mihajaru

Got my Desire since it got released then bought a streak the first day it got released. i have to admit yeh, the desire is more superiour than the Streak BUT, for some reason i end up loving the Streak more than the Desire. The Streak is just so damn gorgeous, yeh its big i know, but lately, the Desire started to feel really really small and outdated.. *maybe thats just me*, it does have its bugs/it can get slow at times *Due to the outdated 1.6 i think? not a pro with android phones* though. But that doesnt stop me from enjoying the Streak. I just love my Streak at the moment, and will be giving my Desire to my Girlfriend... I recommend getting the streak if you dont mind using a big handset in the public.

IT IS AWESOME i tell you :lol:

It will get updated to 2.2 sooner or later anyway *hopefully soon* wish we're getting gingerbread instead...**just saw this info from engadget, http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/android...rbread-rumors/*

still a rumour... but still.. :D

Guest aikibrown
I've seriously considering selling my HTC Desire and buying the Streak.

I use my Desire more as an internet device than a phone as I have a Nokia E72 that I use for all my calls and texting, the Desire is really for music, movies, email and the internet.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the move from Desire or Nexus One to the Streak and how have you found it?

Chris

I too have a Desire and a Streak. Going from Android 2.1 to 1.6 is not that much of a draw back for me. The obvious differences to me being;

1). The web browser on the Streak doesn't support multi touch whereas the Desire does. That said, there are numerous 3rd party solutions such as Dolphin and Skyfire browsers available from the market that are free.

2). The Streak can only use one googlemail (or gmail) account at a time and so you if like me,you do have two or more accounts then you will need to be running two email programs simultaneously. The desire on the other hand, allows you to synch with multiple google accounts straight out of the box.

There are numerous other differences between the os versions but to be honest, they are of little or no consequence to me.

that's my tuppenceworth.

Guest chrisms_cotland

Cheers guys, I know that we're meant to be getting an upgrade to 2.1/2.2 at some point, probably same time as the Desire eventually gets it!

But whats the chance of getting something sooner as a result of the streak being rooted?

Guest battletank

I have both a Desire and a Streak, but I won't be giving either up.

They have different uses for me... the Desire is my phone, my always-in-my-pocket device. The Streak is my connected device, my primary device for accessing email, web etc. when I'm stationary but not in front of a computer. I travel a lot, and the Streak beats taking a laptop with me to conferences, meetings and on planes. I just wish it had more flexibility around how it can be charged (the proprietary interface limits travel chargers, etc)

Thanks to 'the cloud', both devices access my contacts, email, files, music, etc.

Guest zoidster

I sold my Desire and iPhone 3GS to fund an iPhone 4 , .....but since doing so I have decided the iPhone 4 is now WAY too mainstream for my liking , it reminds me of when everyone had an N95 ! Final straw was when a friend told me her teenage kids and her mother where getting iPhone 4's ... thats it ! I don't want to be in the groovy gang thanks !

So I went and Bought my streak , My android history is HTC Magic , T-mobile Pulse & HTC Desire

...so I was half braced for a step backwards with the Streak , but TBH I really don't feel it is noticeably inferior to the Desire - OK , so the UI looked a bit flaky (thanks Dell) , but the addition of ADW Launcher , Handcent SMS and Better Keyboard , and the whole thing is much slicker , in fact I have to remind myself this is a 1.6 device , of course is going to give it a bit of a kick - I can't help feeling that with 2.2. this device will be a beast !

Not really being a fan of HTC Sense , I have to say I am happier with the Streak than I was with the Desire , and I haven't even looked into rooting yet

Still , only had it just over 24hrs ! , will the novelty wear off after a while ? who knows ? Will be fun finding out though !

Guest gillebob

Only thing I miss about the desire is the radio, and it wasn't that good anyway, the streak is so good I'm giving the desire to my son, he feckin loves it.

Guest chrisms_cotland
Only thing I miss about the desire is the radio, and it wasn't that good anyway, the streak is so good I'm giving the desire to my son, he feckin loves it.

Can anyone comment on the sound quality / volume mainly through earphones I'm interested in but also has anyone tried bluetooth earphones?

Guest gillebob
Can anyone comment on the sound quality / volume mainly through earphones I'm interested in but also has anyone tried bluetooth earphones?

Loud enough to turn the volume turn slightly, but i find its dependant on where you get your music from, ie ripped from cd's the quality is good but otherwise obtained music with questionable quality the volume seems to suffer.

Tried two different wired (with mic) headset's and the mic performance is shite, often the streak doesn't respond to the button press and the the person calling can never hear you properly if at all.

I'm also looking for bluetooth stereo headset if anyone can recommend one.

Edit for spelling

Edited by gillebob

Guest fards
I'm also looking for bluetooth stereo headset if anyone can recommend one.

Edit for spelling

I'm using one of these, I find it great with some cx300II (the streak sounds good with them plugged in direct as well, although I would like a eq)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluedio-AV890-Clip-B...3-/280527055483

there are some cheaper sellers, I think I paid £12 shipped..

Never got to test the mic on my included one as they were knackered and I really can't be bothered to get them changed :)

Guest vinokirk
I'm using one of these, I find it great with some cx300II (the streak sounds good with them plugged in direct as well, although I would like a eq)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluedio-AV890-Clip-B...3-/280527055483

there are some cheaper sellers, I think I paid £12 shipped..

Never got to test the mic on my included one as they were knackered and I really can't be bothered to get them changed :)

Is this the same fards from the Lexus forums?! If it is then you're everywhere mate!

Guest fards
Is this the same fards from the Lexus forums?! If it is then you're everywhere mate!

lexus, as in cars? nope not likely... not unless I could rip the engine out, fit some pedals, knock 95% of weight of it and rebuild it using carbon and power it myself.

I am everywhere, but not there, sounds like an shoddy imitator to me, tell em to stop... :)

I've been on xda for a while now.

anyway back on topic, I used the voice dialling for the first time today over bt.

wow what a revelation that was!

after nearly 8?? years of struggling with winmo and too many years fighting with the various speak recognition options, I made 6 phone calls all with no mistakes without even taking the streak out of my pocket. wonderful!

Guest vinokirk
lexus, as in cars? nope not likely... not unless I could rip the engine out, fit some pedals, knock 95% of weight of it and rebuild it using carbon and power it myself.

I am everywhere, but not there, sounds like an shoddy imitator to me, tell em to stop... :)

I've been on xda for a while now.

anyway back on topic, I used the voice dialling for the first time today over bt.

wow what a revelation that was!

after nearly 8?? years of struggling with winmo and too many years fighting with the various speak recognition options, I made 6 phone calls all with no mistakes without even taking the streak out of my pocket. wonderful!

Lol ok dude, yeah 13 years with Windows Mobile here! Well Windows CE as it used to be known. I still love WinMo, but android is slowly getting there fo sho!

Guest Magxs
1). The web browser on the Streak doesn't support multi touch whereas the Desire does. That said, there are numerous 3rd party solutions such as Dolphin and Skyfire browsers available from the market that are free.

I do have multi touch in the browser. That's the only place where it works on the Streak.

Guest Loconinja
I do have multi touch in the browser. That's the only place where it works on the Streak.

Multi-touch works in the photo viewer too.