Desire - Debranded, generic rom flashed but cannot get root!

Guest xspyda

Guest xspyda

I have been helping a friend and we have a problem with the rooting process and a couple of questions that I would be grateful if anyone could help us with. First though, a little info as the progress made so far...

We have a Desire that was originally on hboot 0.75 on Tmob UK with rom version 1.15.xxx.x

We created a Gold Card using the modaco tool and debranded using the modaco guide to debranding and successfully flashed a generic rom.

All went smoothly, phone booted, so far so good!

We then attempted the root process using how to root the htc desire guide form theunlockr.com. This didn't work first time (as the over sensitive optical track pad caused the phone to reboot at the wrong time) so we attempted it again from the beginning (after having to use 'clear storage' to reset the desire to default). This time everything appeared to go fine but the desire is not rooted. We have followed this procedure several times and each time without error but the desire remains without root.

Following this attempt, the bootloader is 0.80 and the rom version is 1.15.405.4

Although the Desire works fine, we are desparate to get it rooted!

So, some questions:

1) Can the phone be rooted as it stands (hboot 0.80 / rom version 1.15.405.4)?

2) Is the gold card still needed or was that just for debranding (now done)?

3) Any thoughts as to why the rooting process seems to work but doesn't give root access?

4) Am I right in thinking that only certain roms are compatible with hboot 0.80?

5) Suggestions on where to go from here to obtain root?

Any help gratefully received. I am pretty sure weare doing everything right but it's just not giving root access!

Thanks

Guest tommo123

iirc, the first image you put on via running the batch files etc, is just putting a generic rom. it doesn't come with root.

it just lets you put another rom on after that *does* have root. i put on mcr 3.1 and that has root and apps2sd. i don't recall having root before that, although to be fair, i never tested it.

Guest xspyda
iirc, the first image you put on via running the batch files etc, is just putting a generic rom. it doesn't come with root.

it just lets you put another rom on after that *does* have root. i put on mcr 3.1 and that has root and apps2sd. i don't recall having root before that, although to be fair, i never tested it.

Thanks, that would make sense I guess, although it sure doesn't make any mention of that in the guides. Can anyone confirm beyond doubt that this is the case?

Probably an idea to try flashing a rom anyway and see where we go from there...

Guest xspyda
yes, flash MCR as per the guide and you will be fine :lol:

You wouldn't be able to lay your hands on a link to this guide would you?

Guest hazi1964
http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...iny-core-linux/

This is a root guide using linux, however can be applied to Windows or OSX by substituting commands. I rooted using the R5 method in Windows but got some additional steps/details out of this guide.

Hi there, thanks for posting. Thought I would post an update to let everyone who has offered their advice that I now have the phone up and running, rooted as well.

Thank you again to all who offered their help. A special thank you to xSpyda who spent alot of time on this.

Alison