GS running quite hot?

Guest DocTorpor

Guest DocTorpor

Hello everybody.

I've been using my GS 16GB for over two weeks now and I get a bit worried about how hot it runs. Battery Indicator tells me the device (battery?) is running up to 55C (recharging and browsing over HSDPA simultaneously). The hotspot is located just above the "Google" logo. It's not just the battery re- and decharging. I guess it's the hummingbird producing the heat by flapping its wings about 1 000 000 000 times a second :lol:

Just listening to music with the standard musicplayer minimized, running on battery power, and streaming the audio over Bluetooth, my GS reaches 45C. Or just playing solitaire heats it up to 45C as well.

I haven't found anything about the normal GS operating temperatures yet. None of the reviews mention the device running pretty hot... Nor did I find something on serveral forums...

What are your experiences? How hot runs your device just playing solitaire? Do I own a monday morning device? Im just worried about the negative effects of this amount of heat on the samoled, battery and other internal components...

Thanks in advance.

Guest mbr01

I´d say its 30 degrees celcius in this room and played asphalt 5 for 5 minutes or so. Temperatuur of GS is 45 degrees, so guess thats normal. It is true, and it´s also stated in the maual, that the battery heats up when being charged. I experience that as well. No measures on that, sorry.

Guest mobiholic

I noticed the heat of the device only once and that was when placing my ear to the phone speaker (front) while it was charging and had been for a while. My ear didn't touch the device but I could feel the heat coming out of the speaker area.

I wasn't bothered at all by this but i was surprised enough to do a double take and check the rest of the phone... with my ear :lol: . Most of the electronic devices I own get hotter on charge though so it isn't an issue for me at the mo.

FYI the ear check of the rest of the phone found no other sources of heat. :D

Guest DocTorpor

Thank you for your takes on the heat produced by the GS.

I've just played Asphalt for 5 minutes as well at 28C room temperature. Battery Indicator showed a warmish 45C as well. So I guess that's normal then. Repeating my MP3 + BT streaming scenario now shows a more healthy 33C after 25 minutes of listening. I guess open background programmes where causing an extra strain on the processor during my first attempt.

Guest gravityz3r0

it gets even warmer if you charge and use heavy draining apps at the same time. and it's applicable to just about all other smartphones. perfectly normal.

Edited by gravityz3r0

Guest DocTorpor

Thanks again.

I've owend multiple smartphones before I but never experienced one running this warm. Even whilst charging. So that's why I got a little worried.

I thought speeding processors up and at the same time using smaller transistors would keep temperatures somewhat in balance. My old i780 with an ARM PXA311 running at 624MHz produces noticeable less heat.