officially update my samsung omnia pro

Guest darknessviking

Guest darknessviking

when i started the (mostly useless) program samsung pc studio today,it said it wanted to update my phone to a newer firmware..

if i do this,will the mobile be "restored to default" and everything be gone in it?

or will it be "the same" as before?

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

If you update your mobile, everything will be erased from your My Storage and Phone memory including your PIM data (contacts, messages, emails calender etc) so take backup before doing this.

Its not wise to take backup of the installed applications etc and then restoring it on updated phone as it can cause problems. This is not something you should do on Windows mobiles. Instead, just use some app like PIMBackup and backup your PIM data. Update you phone and then restore your PIM data and reinstall all applications. This approach will give you best results.

BTW, from which country are you from buddy? I am asking because I am still waiting for the release of an official update in my country, India.

Guest darknessviking

im from sweden and its the first time in almost 6 months i started the samsung pc studio program,so i dont know when the update came out im afraid.

i wonder if this update updates the windows mobile things too,or if windows has released any updates on its own..

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Ya, the update has been released there quiet a while ago i think.

Updates for Windows Mobile 6.x phones do not come from Microsoft. although there is a update delivery system built into WinMo but its not working since its inception. Instead, all the updates come from the manufacturer of the device. Microsoft provides updated base Windows Mobile OS to them and they add there own updated applications, customizations etc to this base and then package all this into what we call a "ROM Image" and then this ROM image is delivered to customers in a way that the manufacturer of the phone find suitable, PC Suite in case of Samsung.

Guest omid66613

my omnia pro had winmo 6.5 from the begining,but when i checked for upgrading,i found out that there was an update.

so i decided to update my phone and i did.

and all of my data in my storage and storage card remained and nothing was erased.

I was scared before updating,but nothing happend :lol:

Guest darknessviking

Sumit: oh,so thats what they do,thanx for the info! :)

omid: so nothing was erased?

i updated my old LG Cookie last year,and everything was erased(i think.or if it was wishful thinking :D )

..maybe i should give it a try tough ..

what firmware version do you have? or is it different versions for all countries?

i'd love to have more optimized firmware etc,or maybe mor widgets..i wonder if they send it too in the firmware ..

Guest omid66613

the most certain difference after my update was that my "SAMSUNG SETTING" has changed and now I have separated options in it,which are very nice and useful.

and my massaging also has changed (its shape) and I also feel better speed after updating.

this is my version now :

PDA: B7610NXXJC2

CSC: B7610NXEEJC2

PHONE: B7610XXJC1

my phone is from Europe.I chose "Netherlands" in country part.but it depends on your country.

and for the widgets you can find them from the internet and install new widgets .It's not necessary to update the phone for the widgets.

Edited by omid66613

Guest Shmp

Got my update today too (NL) The only crappy about it is that I can't use TomTom Navigator anymore because now it's :Your device is not compatible with the version of TomTom navigator" :)

Guest darknessviking

nice about the messaging and that it feels faster..that is something i keep getting irritated by,that it gets superslow sometimes.

another thing,what is the "free-ram" of yours?

i usually have only about 1 mb free.. feels weird when its 256 mb :/

Guest darknessviking

my firmware

B7610NXXIK3

B7610NXEEIK3

B7610XXIK1

B7610NXEEIK3

the new firmware

B7160NXXJC2

B7610NXEEJC2

B7610XXJC1

B7610NXEEJC2