How's the glass on your Streak?

Guest mobiholic

Guest mobiholic

The dell streak uses extra tough Gorilla glass by corning to protect the giant display that covers much of the face of the device. A lot has been said about the quality of the glass corning is producing and there is at least one movie of the dell streak being attacked with a biro to show how tough it is on engadget.com

I'm not convinced that the glass is living up to the mannufacturers claims, never mind the hype.

I recently returned a streak for a replacement due to some problems with the plastic coming loose and while I was cleaning the screen for the last time with a microfibre cloth I noticed a small scratch. This wouldn't be odd but I have had the phone since the 1st of July, it has never left the house and when I tell you I babied it, believe I carried this thing around practically wrapped in cotton wool.

I've got a second device now and I'm going to keep the plastic on the display until I can buy a suitable screen protector. I'm gutted, I wasn't expecting the display to have super powers but the scratch wasn't there when I bought the streak and I honestly cannot understand how it got there considering how well I treated it.

Now we've all seen the accidents people have had with their streaks and the most common reply is that the user was unlucky. I'd Personally argue based on my own experience compared to the advertised glass properties that corning have some quality control issues.

I'm sure all units aren't like this and I hope my new one is a tough cookie, but it seems like it's a worry I shouldn't have!

Edited by mobiholic

Guest rovex

Mine has been uncased, in my pocket, on the car seat (and flown off hard under braking), dropped and god knows what else, but nothing has a scratch on it, not even the back or plastic side pieces.

Guest mobiholic

Indeed - there are plenty of Streaks that are hard as nails! I'm glad yours are and am hoping my last one was part of a batch that slipped through quality assurance unnoticed!

Guest jutley

Today i had some full body shield from zagg left over from something else i have coated the two sides of the streak the glossy plastiky bits that scratch easy. I just cut a template out for both sides and appled the shield on both sides looks great and now i dont have to worry about getting those sides scratched. Now just waiting for my anti scratch screen protectors will appy that aswell and then i ordered the official foarmfit case from dell will fit nicely in there i will try to post some pics soon when all is done.

Guest Browell2664

I am on my second streak now, my old screen also had a scratch on it and i got it in late june.

I also "babied" it and i had other problems wth the device luckily none thus far on my new device.