What's the best keyboard to use?

Guest Willz

Guest Willz

I've been using Smart Keyboard Pro for a while now, but lately it's really been messing up. Pressing keys I don't want, and randomly staying on them as if a button would be stuck (obviously not with a touchscreen) and it's doing my head in. I tried the 2 default ones and I don't like them either.

What's a popular and easy one to use? :)

Guest Spook Tooth

I've been using the paid for Better Keyboard by Better Android for a while now and it's been pretty good, so much better than the stock one/s.

Only time it let me down was with the R7 Oscillation ROM. I stopped using it as it seemed to crash quite a bit and the standard Android keyboard was much more stable.

I've since returned to T-Mobile UK's official December 2009 update (1.5). You sure it's not the operating environment causing you grief?

Guest aidanj
I've tried most and for me the HTC_IME mod by jonasl is the best without a doubt: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416

I have both sound & vibrate on key press turned off though as I find it a lot smoother that way

starkos, do us pulse users use the low resolution one? i assume the higher resolution one is for screens with 800 x 480 pixels, and the low resolution one is for screens with a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels and lower?

Guest starkos
starkos, do us pulse users use the low resolution one? i assume the higher resolution one is for screens with 800 x 480 pixels, and the low resolution one is for screens with a resolution of 320 x 480 pixels and lower?

Yea use the low resolution one for 1.6+ devices

Edit: if your using a 2.1 rom that is lol

Edited by starkos

Guest Willz

Thanks everyone. I settled for HTC_IME and it's working very nicely so far. Just customized most of it through the options and it's even better. :)

Guest aidanj

i've installed the correct version of the htc keyboard, but it's not showing up - i've activated it, and only the touchpal shows up in messaging. i even did a soft reset - any help?

Guest twrock
i've installed the correct version of the htc keyboard, but it's not showing up - i've activated it, and only the touchpal shows up in messaging. i even did a soft reset - any help?

Sorry if you already knew this, but just in case......

To change keyboards, you have to select a text entry area, "hold" your finger there and wait for a "edit text" box to open. Scroll down to the bottom and choose input method, then choose your htc keyboard.

Edited by twrock

Guest aidanj
Sorry if you already knew this, but just in case......

To change keyboards, you have to select a text entry area, "hold" your finger there and wait for a "edit text" box to open. Scroll down to the bottom and choose input method, then choose your htc keyboard.

good grief, that's so simple, lol :D thank you VERY much for pointing that out to me - i'd never of guessed to do that, ha ha. get a notification almost every two seconds telling me it needs to force close. wonderful :)

Guest twrock
get a notification almost every two seconds telling me it needs to force close. wonderful :)

That, I can't help you with. :D

Guest whackster

I quite like TouchPal, finally there is an update in the market (says Chinese Input, but works fine), what's the improvement by using the htc ime one over this??

Guest rikkiej

Also started using the HTC_IME mod yesterday, i wondered if anyone got a cool skin to use and if there is a way to stop text prediction in landscape (so there's more screen to see above the keyboard, i don't need prediction with big keys)

Guest biron_w
I quite like TouchPal, finally there is an update in the market (says Chinese Input, but works fine),

Didn't know about this! I've just installed it and I now prefer this one. The "slide down for symbols" thing on touchpal is a neat touch i've always liked with it.