WiFi can't hold a connection since upgrade to 2.1 (MCR r5)

Guest JadeMonkee

Guest JadeMonkee

Hi there,

Ever since I upgraded to Android 2.1 (I'm currently running MCR r5, but also used r4 build 3) my WiFi connection has been flaky.

It seems to only be able to maintain a connection for 10 minutes. The connection icon still displays as if I'm connected to the WiFi network, but I'm not -- there is no data, and I can't send info over the network (eg controlling my SqueezeBoxes or sending a WoL packet).

I can fix it by turning the WiFi off and then back on, but it only works for a little while (maybe 10 minutes?).

My WiFi sleep policy is set to "Never" and I've disabled Locale to see if it was causing it (it didn't help).

Has anyone else had this problem since upgrading to Android 2.1?

FYI, I installed r5 after a full wipe, and also installed the latest radio.

I did use titanium backup to transfer WiFi settings over to the new ROM (rather than typing in my 63-character WPA password). Could that be the cause?

Guest Dr. dre
Hi there,

Ever since I upgraded to Android 2.1 (I'm currently running MCR r5, but also used r4 build 3) my WiFi connection has been flaky.

It seems to only be able to maintain a connection for 10 minutes. The connection icon still displays as if I'm connected to the WiFi network, but I'm not -- there is no data, and I can't send info over the network (eg controlling my SqueezeBoxes or sending a WoL packet).

I can fix it by turning the WiFi off and then back on, but it only works for a little while (maybe 10 minutes?).

My WiFi sleep policy is set to "Never" and I've disabled Locale to see if it was causing it (it didn't help).

Has anyone else had this problem since upgrading to Android 2.1?

FYI, I installed r5 after a full wipe, and also installed the latest radio.

I did use titanium backup to transfer WiFi settings over to the new ROM (rather than typing in my 63-character WPA password). Could that be the cause?

Which Radio ROM are you using ?

Guest JadeMonkee
Which Radio ROM are you using ?

Um... whatever one was able to be bundled with the r5 kitchen.

I'll just get the version from my phone now:

63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.11

Thanks for your help :)

Guest Dr. dre
Um... whatever one was able to be bundled with the r5 kitchen.

I'll just get the version from my phone now:

63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.11

Thanks for your help :)

Try re-flashing the Radio ROM.

Guest Romanss

I am having the same issue! Reflashing radio does not help. In my case the issue is with my WiFi AP, i have a TP link 1043nd AP and my "hero" is losing connection every 2-10 min (icon shows an active wifi connection but no real data transfer, need to disable enable wifi, to regain connectivity), at the same time while using LinkSys AP everything is fine, connection is stable.

Guest JadeMonkee
I am having the same issue! Reflashing radio does not help. In my case the issue is with my WiFi AP, i have a TP link 1043nd AP and my "hero" is losing connection every 2-10 min (icon shows an active wifi connection but no real data transfer, need to disable enable wifi, to regain connectivity), at the same time while using LinkSys AP everything is fine, connection is stable.

Don't tell me that! I was hoping when I got home tonight it would work again!

I'll post back here with the results.

EDIT: Got home last night, and it seemed to be working for quite a while... but, no, eventually, I lost all data over WiFi.

I'm using a D-Link DIR-655 router/access point that, up until this point, has always worked near-perfectly.

Edited by JadeMonkee

Guest JadeMonkee

Are there any differences in DHCP settings between the two access points?

I'm using a DHCP, but reserve specific IP address for my devices. Maybe I'll clear that, and see if that fixes anything.

Worth a shot at least. At least now I know that it could be a router issue.

Guest Romanss
Are there any differences in DHCP settings between the two access points?

I'm using a DHCP, but reserve specific IP address for my devices. Maybe I'll clear that, and see if that fixes anything.

Worth a shot at least. At least now I know that it could be a router issue.

In my case, the only difference is encryption type, one of the routers has WPA/WPA2 personal (tp-link with problem), another one is linksys with wpa2 enterprise (Radius server .. bla bla) without any problems. But I've tried linksys with the same settings WPA/WPA2 personal too, and it was working fine.

You might try setting your router to WEP or open to check if the fault is caused by faulty router encryption implementation. In my case it is not an option due to security issues.

Guest JadeMonkee
In my case, the only difference is encryption type, one of the routers has WPA/WPA2 personal (tp-link with problem), another one is linksys with wpa2 enterprise (Radius server .. bla bla) without any problems. But I've tried linksys with the same settings WPA/WPA2 personal too, and it was working fine.

You might try setting your router to WEP or open to check if the fault is caused by faulty router encryption implementation. In my case it is not an option due to security issues.

That's a really good idea.

My router has an option to enable a second WiFi connection that only gives access to the internet, so security should be ok. At least for a night.

Thanks for the tip!

PS, I didn't have time to do any troubleshooting last night, so there is no news to report.

Guest JadeMonkee

Ok, so over the weekend, somehow all my Google Calendar entries got deleted from my phone, and -- no matter what I tried -- I couldn't get them back on.

At the end of my tether, I did a full wipe of the phone (not a re-install, just a wipe).

It worked; the Calendar entries appeared on my phone after initial setup, and with Titanium backup, I had my phone back to its previous state in no time.

However, this time around, I decided not to restore my wireless settings, instead setting them up manually (I set up an easy-to-type temp WPA2 password for the initial sync, then, after restoring all my apps, copied and pasted the original 63-digit password from a note in AK Notepad).

I don't know if it was due to me not restoring the WiFi settings, or from the wipe, but my WiFi connection now works flawlessly.

Yay!