Roaming and Android Apps

Guest TheMrMay

Guest TheMrMay

I'm going abroad soon, but still want to use the majority of my apps.

I noticed somewhere that the iPhone stores all app data on the phone, so roaming charges were not an issue when using apps. Is it the same for Android?

I will disable mobile internet, but is this enough to avoid all roaming charges?

Guest toxic-hero
I will disable mobile internet, but is this enough to avoid all roaming charges?

it's enough to avoid DATA roaming charges. of course for some apps to work you'll than need wifi connection.

Guest T39andcounting

I was abroad recently, and didn't incur any data charges. I made sure that mobile data was off all the time, and to be extra safe (in case I accidentally switched it back on) I used the "APN on-off widget" from the market, which prevents any data over mobile. You can still connect over WiFi (if you can find a hotspot) while using both of these.

All the apps work OK, although obviously they can't access the internet, however one issue I did find was that after a while GPS was taking a very long time to get a fix, and would drop out easily, so I assume GPS either needs a data connection for an accurate fix, or downloads GPS updates regularly.

What would be great would be some kind of "firewall" so you could select which apps can connect to the internet. For example, GPS fix and weather can connect, but twitter and email can't. This way you'd get a minimal data charge, and only use the essential applications. I couldn't find anything like this on the market place unfortunately. Anyone know of anything?