Speech to text

Guest dayloon

Guest dayloon

Hi All,

This is my first day with android and the Galaxy so forgive me if this is a stupid question....

I've seen some videos of the desire/nexus etc where speech to text was possible to send SMS messages etc. Is this also possible on the Galaxy S ? If so, how do i install it ? Can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere in settings.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aciduzzo
Install Vlingo from the Samsung Apps icon on your phone. Sorted :-)

not sure it's much good tho, at least not with British English!

Guest DistortedLoop
Hi All,

This is my first day with android and the Galaxy so forgive me if this is a stupid question....

I've seen some videos of the desire/nexus etc where speech to text was possible to send SMS messages etc. Is this also possible on the Galaxy S ? If so, how do i install it ? Can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere in settings.

Thanks.

I'm not even sure the SGS has voice input in the ROM. You'd think it does, since it's part of the Android 2.1 OS (isn't it?), but the only way I could get voice input was to install Vlingo app. Even then, you have to use the rather crappy vlingo keyboard to actually have a mic button.

Supposedly Swype is on the SGS according to some articles I read, but it's not on my Swype keyboard.

I bought the Better Keyboard, which is pretty good, but even with vlingo installed, I couldn't get the mic input button to activate on Better Keyboard.

If you want vlingo, don't buy it from the Market, it's $9.99. You can get version 1.0.1 for free on the SGS by opening the Samsung Apps store from the apps drawer. It's there for free, along with the Road Warrior SMS and Asphalt 5 games, also free.

This is just another one of those little annoyances with the SGS that are starting to add up for me. Great phone with some stupid oversights by Samsung: no LED flash, no mic/voice input, no LED notification light, no trackball/trackpad, etc.

P.S. - vlingo seems quite accurate for me (US accent), but there are complaints on the Market of it not being as accurate as Google Voice Input. Neither one of them are as accurate a Dragon Dictate on my iPhone. That one is rock-solid, and incredibly easy to use and edit spoken text, unlike the Android voice input methods.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop
I bought the Better Keyboard, which is pretty good, but even with vlingo installed, I couldn't get the mic input button to activate on Better Keyboard.

Update (five minutes later, LOL).

The mic input button started showing up in Better Keyboard for me all of a sudden, but pressing it pops up a warning message that the phone does not have the voice recognition engine installed, which confirms my last post's suspicion that it's not on the SGS for some reason.

edit: It's an option in the kitchen with MCR.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

I found this thread on xda that includes a link to voice search 2.1 apk. Installed it on my SGS and Google voice search is there and working now.

I have to say that Google's voice recognition is not nearly as good as vlingo's! Interesting.

But at least I can have the voice input button working on other than the crappy vlingo keyboard. :(

P.S. - here's a link direct to the apk if you don't want to read the xda thread.

Edited by DistortedLoop